Review The class of 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard_to_Beat

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This bunch is looking good. We could end up with 6 senior players from this draft.

532065-north-melbourne.jpg

Draftees

Cunners - tick
Basti - tick
J-Mac - tick
AK - Unlucky. Is good enough.
Black - Needs to extract digit. Has the talent.
The other bloke - WTF?! Gone.

Rookies

Majak - Showing promise. Should fill a role.
Matty Scott - The kid could play. Too light and a bastard run with injuries. Gone.

This bunch is looking good. We could end up with 6 senior players from this draft.

532065-north-melbourne.jpg

Draftees

Cunners - tick
Basti - tick
J-Mac - tick
AK - Unlucky. Is good enough.
Black - Needs to extract digit. Has the talent.
The other bloke - WTF?! Gone.

Rookies

Majak - Showing promise. Should fill a role.
Matty Scott - The kid could play. Too light and a bastard run with injuries. Gone.

'Twas a very good year, that is a very good conversion rate :thumbsu:

Will be a quality draft for us. If Kennedy and Black can come on then it should be regarded as the best draft of the lot.

Forgive my ignorance, but we get minimal VFL vision in South Australia.
I was just wondering how Kennedy is looking (how he finished the 2o12 season) & where he would slot into our side, given the chance? Center half back? He's a decent runner too isn't he?

• Banned
I was just wondering how Kennedy is looking (how he finished the 2o12 season) & where he would slot into our side, given the chance? Center half back? He's a decent runner too isn't he?

Position - KPD in the VFL but presently he's a 3rd tall defender at AFL level. Could possibly make it to CHB one day, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Running - Quickish for his size, but he's been hampered with his knee reco.
Disposal - Good. He could be the longest kick at the club.
Ground skills - Very good. Very sure handed.
Smarts - Good
Application - Very good
Development - Physically, good muscle development. he needs a solid uninterrupted pre season in order to build up his tank.

Good assessment. I think he also has skill set to be a rebounding hb, depending on how bulky he gets. His rebounding numbers in the VFL were tremendous.

Could he relieve Atley of the hb role, allowing a move to the middle?

Good assessment. I think he also has skill set to be a rebounding hb, depending on how bulky he gets. His rebounding numbers in the VFL were tremendous.

Could he relieve Atley of the hb role, allowing a move to the middle?

Anyone who takes Atley's role needs to be able to play on Milne, Betts et al. I'm willing to bet that's the plan for Taylor Hine.

On Kennedy on his NMFC.com.au profile it says he is one of the fastest at the club, there's a lot to be excited about with him

Brings his pace with him too, from what I've seen

he is definitely one to watch

Direct from another player late last season, when I asked how AK was going and whether or not he's good enough to crack the firsts in 2013 - "Ayden's a bloody star. Seriously, he can do things few of us can emulate. Brad has high hopes for him too. 2012's just about him playing footy and building up his tank and confidence. I reckon he'll be a very good player for us when the time's right."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can certainty see Hine playing the small shut down defensive role. Doesn't have the dash to directly replace Atley though.

Well someone is getting games for Campbell and in the short term Boomer.

Kennedy, Mullet, Jacobs, Gysberts, Greenwood, Hine would be in the mix for a start and a sub with Harper starting.

Our recruiting over the last 4 years has been specific to Scott's needs and while most show great signs, it's time for them to step up and fulfil their potential.

If we can make the 8 with our horror draw then I would be very confident of future success.

Dare I quote Aylett Jnr?

The 3rd tall comments re Ayden sound right. Could become a Josh Gibson (in playing style - not *headedness) type player. Although he's been assessed as having blinding sprint speed I don't think he'll ever exploit that in a run and carry sense. It'll be of use to him in a closedown sense instead.

The rest of the group were all a good haul.

Not sure I'd rate the 2008 crop as exceptional just yet. Apart from Jack who is still to consistently perform (mostly for interruption reasons) the other players are role players at this point. Although with some continuity Wright could be much more than that.

If you can nail 2-3 gems in a draft then I call it a really good un. From that angle 1993 - Simpson, (Mark Stevens), King and 1996 - Mooney, Pickett, Pike are the historical standouts.

2006 could become the gangbuster if Lachie continues to develop as Hansen, Goldstein, Thomas, Adams is a hell of a haul.

But 2000 is the top shelf imo. Drew, Harro, Motlop, Rocca, Corey Jones, Pratt, Turtle, Teague, Digby - Neville turned just about every pick into a minimum 2 senior season AFL player. Incredible effort.

The 3rd tall comments re Ayden sound right. Could become a Josh Gibson (in playing style - not ****headedness) type player. Although he's been assessed as having blinding sprint speed I don't think he'll ever exploit that in a run and carry sense. It'll be of use to him in a closedown sense instead.

My perception of Aydens pace is moulded by the way in which he applies himself to his defensive tasks. The roles he has played for Werribee promote a conservative defensive approach to his footy, so he tends to apply himself more to corralling and blanketing his opponents, rather than hitting the ball at top pace.

However, when he gets the ball cleanly in space he can certainly get his skates on. I can't remember him ever being run down.

I'd love to see him get a crack on a wing/HFF for a string of matches.

From what I've seen of him with the ball, as well as having some pace, he has a bit more agile and anticipatory based evasiveness that allow him to avoid tackles. Has a great side step. Just hope he gets a chance, takes it and takes us another notch forwards.

2006 could become the gangbuster if Lachie continues to develop as Hansen, Goldstein, Thomas, Adams is a hell of a haul.

But 2000 is the top shelf imo. Drew, Harro, Motlop, Rocca, Corey Jones, Pratt, Turtle, Teague, Digby - Neville turned just about every pick into a minimum 2 senior season AFL player. Incredible effort.

2000 - 1017 Games - Petrie active
2006 - 574 Games - Hansen, Goldstein, Thomas, Adams, Edwards* active
2005 - 228 Games - Swallow active
2002 - 529 Games - Wells, Firrito, McIntosh* active

Some of our recent drafts look to have multiple 200 gamers.

Some of our drafts (not including trades) in the Pagan/Laidley years produced as little as 62 games (2003) for the club.

Really like this guy and has got a great future.
Very versatile can play most positions on ground.
Wouldn't mind him coming in as a half back and get use to the speed of the game for a while, can always be swapped to the fwd line if needed and tazza/lachie can go back.
Will keep teams guessing on our team setup.

Be very hard to crack a game in the backline this season.

Really like this guy and has got a great future.
Very versatile can play most positions on ground.
Wouldn't mind him coming in as a half back and get use to the speed of the game for a while, can always be swapped to the fwd line if needed and tazza/lachie can go back.
Will keep teams guessing on our team setup.

Be very hard to crack a game in the backline this season.
Agree. Mullet, Kennedy, Delaney, Delaney, Jacobs, McKenzie (hopefully) all pushing.

Agree. Mullet, Kennedy, Delaney, Delaney, Jacobs, McKenzie (hopefully) all pushing.

Getting OT, but Jacobs will play midfield. Mullet can also swing in to that role. I wouldn't be surprised to see McKenzie groomed for a mid role also.

The hardest task will be in keeping them together whilst undergoing smooth transition and keeping the other clubs away. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of senior players get a tap on the shoulder this year.

We have already seen plays made for inexperienced players like Majak Daw and Cam Delaney. The vultures are circling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back