Opinion The Club and the way they communicate with us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with that being the case, how can you call a sporting club bringing awareness to an issue they would like changed virtue signalling? Is your argument that you can't raise awareness about an issue (thereby increasing the likelihood of change) unless you are Rosa Parks literally riding the bus? What is the acceptable level of involvement that passes your test for raising an issue?? Are you the arbiter of what is meritorious in these circumstances? Can you honestly suggest that people raising an issue through social media, or public gatherings or any other way never contributes legitimately to change? Honestly?

Also how do you have any idea what Collingwood are and aren't doing outside of raising awareness with photos and social commentary? You have absolutely no idea! Yet because (I have no doubt) you don't like the sentiment on this occasion you attack their bona fides for delivering a message.

Sorry, what is the issue the club want changed?

I'll restate the same point. To my mind the vast majority don't really care if the date changes, but they want desperately to be seen that they do. And be drowned in praise for doing it.

Collingwood wasn't mentioned by me. I was only talking about Geelong.

Also how do you have any idea what Collingwood are and aren't doing outside of raising awareness with photos and social commentary? You have absolutely no idea! Yet because (I have no doubt) you don't like the sentiment on this occasion you attack their bona fides for delivering a message.

People crying virtue signalling are almost always just against the issue that's being raised, and so because they can't address the issue being discussed ( it would often show how little empathy they have) and the merits associated they sink to attacking the messenger. They say you aren't doing enough so you can't talk about it.

So generally all they are doing is trying to quieten a message they don't agree with, and don't have reasons for not agreeing with it that won't make them look inconsiderate.

You'll be waiting a long, long time if you're expecting me to try and quieten any message.

Say what you want too.

1. At a national level we have apologised for atrocities generations past. Kevin Rudd did that over a decade ago.*
2. How much longer as a nation must we solemnly continue to apologise for things our forebears did decades or even centuries ago?
3. Real issues regarding how we presently treat first nations people. Health, education, irrigation etc should be improved and looked at.
4. If we are expected to comment on Aus Day like every other club where then does it end? Should the club make a statement on climate and publicly support people like Greta Thunberg? Should they make comments denouncing Israel/Palestine? Should they comment on the capability of our government's at present?

Note: 1. If Indigenous persons view that as Invasion Day and want the date changed then no issues from me. It is not the GFC's place to comment. They are a football club. Their focus should start and end with football.

Great post.

If the club ever did something like this they're even more mentally disturbed than she is.

Just on this debate about the club's communication re 26 Jan, I noticed that Matthew Stokes said in an article during the week that he did think the date should be changed but that he didn't really feel safe while he was a player to express those views. When you look at the s**t that Adam Goodes went through, it's not surprising Stokesy felt that way. I'm not going to criticise the club for not making a public statement, but I think anything clubs can do - internally and externally - to support Indigenous players have a voice on matters that are important to them has got to be good.

I'd rather the club just focus on improving their VFL coverage.
Me too.
But the posters who say that a footy club has no business engaging in this type of activity are ignoring the fact that football clubs are commercial entities and, like any other commercial organisation, will and do engage in non-core social and political activities if they think that it will directly or indirectly benefit their bottom line.
Witness the GFC's long-standing socio-political "charitable" and community activities.

Well this seems to have gone completely off the thread topic.

The thread will be closed while its cleaned up.

If you wish to continue the Australia Day topic you can go to the off topic thread, or access the topic elsewhere on BF...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back