The Completely Non-Jinxing "We Must Select Ben Jarman!!!" thread

Not should, but WILL we select Ben Jarman?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Darren just cranked up the pie warmer in celebration .. ..

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk
After all the mess that has happened with Jarman being nominated for F/S It will be interesting to see how the Jarman family react. If they are happy and or excited then I will read into that as them having misunderstood the Crows position. If they are cool on the selection then I will assume they feel they have been deceived by the AFC.

After all the mess that has happened with Jarman being nominated for F/S It will be interesting to see how the Jarman family react. If they are happy and or excited then I will read into that as them having misunderstood the Crows position. If they are cool on the selection then I will assume they feel they have been deceived by the AFC.
FMD.
Deceived by the AFC.
I've heard it all now.

From what Caroline Wilson said after the trade period, Carlton were annoyed that Reid announced it, but the bigger thing was they were massively pissed at Gibbs because he'd gone through his exit interviews and had seemed very excited about what the Blues could achieve next year and then dropped the bomb on them on them the day before the trade period started that he wanted out. So basically they went into negotiations with hostile feelings towards Gibbs and a "The only way he's getting out is if they pay us massive overs" attitude and then you get your Sloane/Lever/Cameron + 1st rounder demands.

Not much Reid could have done then to satisfy SOS. Outside of paying his price thst is.

That's DABM's standard operating procedure. Can you remember a single post of his where he's been supportive of the club? Ever? Every single post I can remember has been anti-Crows, with the objective of tearing the club down. Yet he calls himself a "supporter". Supporters like DABM the club can do without.

You don't have to agree with everything the club does to be a supporter - but you can't be a supporter if you don't agree with anything the club does. Kane McGoodwin has been against the club on this issue, but has a long history of supporting the club on most issues - he's a supporter. DABM has never been supportive of the club, on any issue, and is clearly not a supporter.

DABM mostly masks his anti-club agenda behind humour and wit, but the anti-club agenda is still perfectly clear.
I think that's a bit over the top. He has self deprecating gallows humour.
I think that we need people to be critical, otherwise all we do is back pat on our way to mediocrity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that keeps me coming back to this board is the range, depth, and multiplicity of views about the AFC that the regular media (or the orchestrated social/web media accounts) don't come even close to matching.

What shits me beyond tears are the posters who want to close down that wonderful, chaotic, irascible multiplicity of opinions, and offer up those two most threadbare of justifications: "oh, it's just negative" and/or "you're not a real supporter". It's pathetic and whiny and oh so boring.
I don't object to people disagreeing with the club. That, as you say, is what makes the board interesting. Kane McGoodwin has been vocal in this thread, regularly criticising the way that the club handled the Jarmans. He's a perfect example of a true supporter - generally supportive, but critical when he feels that criticism is justified. Kane's opinion is one I value highly - he's a true supporter, with a great footy knowledge, and a willingness to think for himself.

What I do object to are posters who are unrelentingly negative. Every single post they write is against the club. How can you claim to be a "supporter", when there is literally nothing about the club that you like, enjoy, or agree with? There are only a handful of them, and most of them have made their way to my ignore list - Mike Smyth, Wetcrow, Sanders. Marty36 is getting very close to being added to that collection. DABM is more humorous and witty than the others, but he's just as negative as these other anti-supporters.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2016-11-28/jarmans-special-moment

Jarman's 'special' moment
Katrina Gill November 28, 2016 4:48 PM

BenDarrenJarman_620_620X370.jpg

Darren and Ben Jarman

It’s pretty special with Dad playing at the Club and both my uncles. There’s a bit of history here
Ben Jarman
Ben Jarman has described the “pretty special” moment he made history by becoming Adelaide’s first-ever father-son selection.

Jarman, 18, officially became a Crow as a father-son nominated rookie on Monday afternoon after the 17 other clubs opted not to take part in the AFL Pre-Season Draft.

Ben’s father Darren played 121 games for Adelaide, including the 1997 and 1998 Grand Final wins.

The brilliant forward also played 109 matches for Hawthorn where he was part of the 1991 premiership team. Darren’s brother Andrew played 110 matches for the Crows, while Ben’s uncle on his Mum Sue’s side of the family is 300-game Adelaide great Tyson Edwards.

Ben said he was honoured to be part of the family tradition at West Lakes.

“It’s pretty special with Dad playing at the Club and both my uncles. There’s a bit of history here,” he said on Monday.

“It was a long process, but I’m very excited now to get an opportunity on an AFL list. I’m really looking forward to getting started.”

Ben said his father had provided invaluable support throughout a sometimes stressful year.

“Dad obviously had a very good career – he’s an (Australian Football) Hall of Famer,” he said.

“He’s been very helpful. I’m very lucky to have someone like Dad in my corner.”

Darren said it was a significant occasion for the entire family.

“It’s a very proud moment, being the first Crows father-son in 26 years,” he said.

“It’s a credit to the work Ben has done as a junior player. Now, that he’s got the opportunity with an AFL club and in particular the Crows, it’s a great honour for him.

“The hard work starts for him now. He’s got to work hard, get fitter and stronger and, hopefully, have a great career here.”

Ben got a taste of the AFL environment when he trained with the Crows for a week earlier this year.

The smart, 172cm, 70kg, forward/wingman was confident that experience would help him when he joins his new teammates for training on Tuesday.

“I saw the hard work that goes in, the level of professionalism and everything you have to do in preparation for a game,” he said.

“I want to earn the respect of the players and work really hard over the next few weeks. Running is something I definitely have to work on, so hopefully I can get some running in and really improve on that aspect of my game.”

Darren, who says Ben has his uncle Andrew’s “handball reflex”, is hoping Ben can create his own highlights reel over time to help replace the DVD of Adelaide’s ’97 flag, which has seen better days.

“I’m going to ring the Club up and get a new DVD, we’ve just about worn out the old one!” he said.

“I remember when Ben was young, he used to watch it (the 1997 Grand Final) all the time. I used to walk in and say, ‘Turn that off, will you?! I’ve seen it 100 times myself!

“That’s in the past but it’s obviously great history being part of the Crows’ first premiership.”

Exclusive to afc.com.au

I think that we need people to be critical, otherwise all we do is back pat on our way to mediocrity.
It's not over the top. DABM uses humour and wit to mask things - but he is inevitably negative towards the club, with every single post he ever writes.

Being critical is fine. Criticising the club with every single post you ever write is not being a supporter - it's being an anti-supporter.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2016-11-28/jarmans-special-moment

Jarman's 'special' moment
Katrina Gill November 28, 2016 4:48 PM

BenDarrenJarman_620_620X370.jpg

Darren and Ben Jarman

It’s pretty special with Dad playing at the Club and both my uncles. There’s a bit of history here
Ben Jarman
Ben Jarman has described the “pretty special” moment he made history by becoming Adelaide’s first-ever father-son selection.

Jarman, 18, officially became a Crow as a father-son nominated rookie on Monday afternoon after the 17 other clubs opted not to take part in the AFL Pre-Season Draft.

Ben’s father Darren played 121 games for Adelaide, including the 1997 and 1998 Grand Final wins.

The brilliant forward also played 109 matches for Hawthorn where he was part of the 1991 premiership team. Darren’s brother Andrew played 110 matches for the Crows, while Ben’s uncle on his Mum Sue’s side of the family is 300-game Adelaide great Tyson Edwards.

Ben said he was honoured to be part of the family tradition at West Lakes.

“It’s pretty special with Dad playing at the Club and both my uncles. There’s a bit of history here,” he said on Monday.

“It was a long process, but I’m very excited now to get an opportunity on an AFL list. I’m really looking forward to getting started.”

Ben said his father had provided invaluable support throughout a sometimes stressful year.

“Dad obviously had a very good career – he’s an (Australian Football) Hall of Famer,” he said.

“He’s been very helpful. I’m very lucky to have someone like Dad in my corner.”

Darren said it was a significant occasion for the entire family.

“It’s a very proud moment, being the first Crows father-son in 26 years,” he said.

“It’s a credit to the work Ben has done as a junior player. Now, that he’s got the opportunity with an AFL club and in particular the Crows, it’s a great honour for him.

“The hard work starts for him now. He’s got to work hard, get fitter and stronger and, hopefully, have a great career here.”

Ben got a taste of the AFL environment when he trained with the Crows for a week earlier this year.

The smart, 172cm, 70kg, forward/wingman was confident that experience would help him when he joins his new teammates for training on Tuesday.

“I saw the hard work that goes in, the level of professionalism and everything you have to do in preparation for a game,” he said.

“I want to earn the respect of the players and work really hard over the next few weeks. Running is something I definitely have to work on, so hopefully I can get some running in and really improve on that aspect of my game.”

Darren, who says Ben has his uncle Andrew’s “handball reflex”, is hoping Ben can create his own highlights reel over time to help replace the DVD of Adelaide’s ’97 flag, which has seen better days.

“I’m going to ring the Club up and get a new DVD, we’ve just about worn out the old one!” he said.

“I remember when Ben was young, he used to watch it (the 1997 Grand Final) all the time. I used to walk in and say, ‘Turn that off, will you?! I’ve seen it 100 times myself!

“That’s in the past but it’s obviously great history being part of the Crows’ first premiership.”

Exclusive to afc.com.au
Does not seem to be any bitterness there and both Darren and Ben seem realistic about where he is at

People are still hell bent on criticising the club on Edwards hearsay. Yet everything from the club and Darren Jarman is on par with where Ben sits in the scheme of things...Darren did say his son was a couple of years behind most draftees a few weeks ago. Backed that up with saying his son now needs to work hard to get to a decent level. Perfect Rookie List material.

Does not seem to be any bitterness there and both Darren and Ben seem realistic about where he is at

People are still hell bent on criticising the club on Edwards hearsay. Yet everything from the club and Darren Jarman is on par with where Ben sits in the scheme of things...Darren did say his son was a couple of years behind most draftees a few weeks ago. Backed that up with saying his son now needs to work hard to get to a decent level. Perfect Rookie List material.

Don't worry, the same old people will say "What did you expect the Jarmans to say? That the club shafted them?":)

I think Sticks is getting a bit carried away here....
http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/3774/

SANFL News
28 NOV 2016
STICKS SAYS - AFL ROOKIE WRAP

By ZAC MILBANK | Twitter @zacmilbank

SANFL High Performance Manager Brenton Phillips insists Adelaide’s father-son selection Ben Jarman is ready to make an impact in the AFL as early as next season.

Despite Jarman measuring in at just 173cm and 70kg, Phillips believes the talented midfielder can prove the pundits, who suggest he will take 12-18 months to develop, wrong.

Speaking on SANFL Radio, Phillips said he was pleased with the SANFL having 11 players – including Jarman to the Crows at No.45 - selected in the AFL Rookie Draft.

From what Caroline Wilson said after the trade period, Carlton were annoyed that Reid announced it, but the bigger thing was they were massively pissed at Gibbs because he'd gone through his exit interviews and had seemed very excited about what the Blues could achieve next year and then dropped the bomb on them on them the day before the trade period started that he wanted out. So basically they went into negotiations with hostile feelings towards Gibbs and a "The only way he's getting out is if they pay us massive overs" attitude and then you get your Sloane/Lever/Cameron + 1st rounder demands.

So not professional then, more a scorned toddler?

But there's a difference between criticism and constant cynicism. I don't care who posts it, and I don't think DABM is constantly critical nor cynical,:) but there are some rippers who are.

Back