The crowd

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does anyone know the final number for the crowd tonight? That was a really piss poor crowd for the only game in Melbourne this weekend. There was 5-10,000 AFC supporters there by the looks of it to boot. Does anyone know if the MCC and AFL members had free entry?
Caro Wilson really needs to front up this week to explain the poor crowd figures two games in a row for Melb games.

Its a low crowd. A city of over 4 million people, self proclaimed best sporting city in the world, 9,000 of those interstate supporters, its a poor effort. Last week we got punted by everyone for our low crowd numbers, but compared to the last two weeks in Melb, per capita their crowds are well below ours.

Heaps of noise coming from the great southern stands, which was great stuff. Eventually i started hearing a chant go off while buddy was lining up for goal in the 4th quarter but i couldnt make out the words (think it mightve been "poor kick")

Heaps of noise coming from the great southern stands, which was great stuff. Eventually i started hearing a chant go off while buddy was lining up for goal in the 4th quarter but i couldnt make out the words (think it mightve been "poor kick")
From where I was sitting it sounded like "Bullshit" hahahaha

Its a low crowd. A city of over 4 million people, self proclaimed best sporting city in the world, 9,000 of those interstate supporters, its a poor effort. Last week we got punted by everyone for our low crowd numbers, but compared to the last two weeks in Melb, per capita their crowds are well below ours.

Being asked to pay over $80-$160 for a ticket to a neutral game is a big ask, especially in the current climate. That's a pretty good turnout for an interstate game: the best support the Hawks are likely to ever see, given that high drawing games are always against teams like Collingwood and Essendon, who take over half the seats. It was our 19th man. ;)

So what crowd figure would you have been happy with.

I sat in the top section afl members section and it was fairly sparsely populated. Yes there is 4 mill in Melbourne but there are 10 clubs. Why would people pay 140 to watch a prelim that their team were not playing in when it is live on tv.

The old capita argument hey, well sometimes that does not stack up.

Anyway as I said what crowd figure would have made you happy.

Remember a lot of hawks fans thought this was a walkover so maybe they were saving their bucks for next week, who knows?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being asked to pay over $80-$160 for a ticket to a neutral game is a big ask, especially in the current climate. That's a pretty good turnout for an interstate game: the best support the Hawks are likely to ever see, given that high drawing games are always against teams like Collingwood and Essendon, who take over half the seats. It was our 19th man. ;)
Yeah I know. We had to put up with all the talk about how bad our crowd was last week, when there were 27 Freo supporters in that crowd, no one gets a free seat like the MCC and AFL members do at the MCG, yet the scribes in Melb shoot their mouths off about how low our crowd was. When you break down Melb crowds and it turns out they are lower per capita then they act dumb and change the topic.

F
Yeah I know. We had to put up with all the talk about how bad our crowd was last week, when there were 27 Freo supporters in that crowd, no one gets a free seat like the MCC and AFL members do at the MCG, yet the scribes in Melb shoot their mouths off about how low our crowd was. When you break down Melb crowds and it turns out they are lower per capita then they act dumb and change the topic.

Free seat ?

That free seat cost me over $500

A 30k crowd at finals time is always going to cop flack.

5k more than the Gee v WCE prelim last year
10,000 more actually...I thought 70,000 was probably par for the game.

The AFL have really priced themselves out of the big 75,000+ crowds ...with cheaper ticket prices I'm sure they'd have pulled 75k to 80k tonight

FOr what it's worth I thought the noise from the Adelaide supporters was terrific

I was surprised when I saw the crowd on the screen, was expecting something lower vs an Interstate team.

I thought we were pretty loud. A Crows chant going our bay which was probably 95% Hawks bay, was awesome!

From where I was sitting it sounded like "Bullshit" hahahaha
It was "bullshit" - Heard that chant 2 times directed at the umpires
Also heard a "cheat" chant, fast paced once or twice too :p

Whatever those words were, it sure made buddy spray that shot to the far right :D I thought 69,000 was a decent crowd considering that a many of us thought we were going to get demolished before the first bounce, glad it didnt come to that though
Haha I said out loud "Why don't that chant that for every set shot?" in the middle of the Hawk's members area. Got a few filthy looks loll

Yeah the cheat chant was coming from my section of the southern stand, then the roar and suck s**t calls after it were sensational!!! The crowds performance from our teams perspective was nothing short of unbelievable, and we couldn't be more proud of them team after that effort. Definitely feeling shattered as a supporter and for the players. The highest of highs and lowest of lows felt yesterday, I must say when Johncock kicked that goal to put us in front was the best footy moment I've had in years

69,000's a great turnout, I dare say a few of our fans would have stayed home in fear of a blowout. The atmosphere at the ground was electric, especially in the last quarter when we had a run-on, our fans where as loud as Hawthorns!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back