the decade in drafts

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
having a quick gander at the drafts since 2000.

Curious on thoughts of who fared better for each drafr

2000 - Saints gained Kosi and Riewoldt and traded away for Hamill and Gehrig. Set their forward line up for next 15 years.
Lions probably came out best with Hadley, Charman, Pike and McGrath though. Also traded for Mal Michael.

2001 - Cant split hawks and cats
Hawks : Hodge, Mitchell, Ladson, and Brown.
Cats : Bartel, Kelly, S Johnson, Ablett, & D Johnson.
actually, cats really did well

2002 - tough choice, but Wells, Grima and Mcintosh by the roos just takes it

2003 - Freo did ok with Mundy, Murphy, Dunn and Peake, but Sylvia and Mclean take it for me

2004 - the big one, and you cant pass on the hawks. Buddy, Roughie and Lewis in the top 7.

2005 - gotta say Essendon. Ryder, Dempsey, Neagle, Lonergan. a whisker from the pies.

2006 - Cats, for the simple reason they embarrassed almost half the comp by grabbing Selwood at 7.

2007 - Gotta go dons just from adelaide. Pears, Myers, Hooker & Danniher. kudos to the hawks for getting dew and rioli and a flag

2008 - Obvious one. The eagles, and i remember watching them do it. NicNat was a steal. Swift was a steal. Schuey was a steal.
Banfield, Rich and Redden were also good value picks. And the pies did well to get Sidebottom, Beams and add Brown.

2009 - too early to call obviously, but from whats come to pass you couldnt split melbourne 1-2 of Scully and Trengrove, with the swans' Rohan and Jetta.

pies 05 was a hard one. they got some obvious talent, but thomas at two could have been a trainwreck if pendlebury slipped to someone else.
i know they like the kid, but for a #2 pick he is pretty sub-par. very little consistency, not an overwhelming presence.

i would take Pendlebury, Kennedy, Ryder, Higgins and Douglas before him. Ellis too.
Imagine a draft netting you Ryder, Pendlebury and Anthony.
Ruck -> playmaker -> forward.

like i said, it was a hair apart.

2007 - Gotta go dons just from adelaide. Pears, Myers, Hooker & Danniher. kudos to the hawks for getting dew and rioli and a flag

Pears is a great prospect, and Hooker solid, Danniher and Myers have stagnated, I think there are a couple alot better.

Adelaide got Dangerfield, Otten, Taylor Walker, Petrenko from that draft.

Dangerfield is as good a prospect as Pears, if not better, and Otten and Walker have proven themselves to be better prospects than Hooker imo.

Melbourne took Morton, Grimes and Wonaeammirri, Id rate that ahead also.

2006 - Cats, for the simple reason they embarrassed almost half the comp by grabbing Selwood at 7.

I dont think its that simple.

There were some ripper gets from clubs in this draft.

Selwood and Hawkins obviously stack up with the best though.

Port got Boak, Gray, Westhoff, Krakouer, Rodan and Stewart.

North has 7 players in their best 22 from this draft, including: Hansen, Warren, Goldstein, Thomas, Campbell, Urquhart, Adams etc

St Kilda did well too.

Armitage, Geary, Clint Jones and eddy.

2008 - Obvious one. The eagles, and i remember watching them do it. NicNat was a steal. Swift was a steal. Schuey was a steal.
Banfield, Rich and Redden were also good value picks. And the pies did well to get Sidebottom, Beams and add Brown.

Far too early to tell as well.

Alot of clubs have gone gangbusters in this draft.

Fremantle id have almost at #1 at this point.

Hill, Ballantyne, Suban, Broughton.

Melbourne have snagged rippers in McKenzie and Jurrah late, and we are basically yet to see anything from their top 2 picks in Watts and Blease, im confident they will have done very well out of it in a couple of years.

North picked up Ziebell, Wright and Anthony with their first three picks.

Port's draft is underrated, Trengove, Banner and Davenport are currently in their best 22, and they have Hartlett and Broadbent in the wings.

Hawthorn have done well with Shoenmakers, Shiels and Savage.

WC have obviously done well, with their high picks.

It will probably go down as the best draft in history on its current tracking, the top 10 look like all becoming absolutely top shelf players.

But we will still need a couple of years to see who has come out on top.

2005 - gotta say Essendon. Ryder, Dempsey, Neagle, Lonergan. a whisker from the pies.
Thomas/Pendlebury/Anthony > Ryder, Dempsey, Neagle, Lonergan. Granted, we had the earlier picks and stuffed up with Stanley (who I still think could become a good player for GC17) and Cook.

2007 - Gotta go dons just from adelaide. Pears, Myers, Hooker & Danniher.

Pears is a great prospect, and Hooker solid, Danniher and Myers have stagnated, I think there are a couple alot better.

Dangerfield is as good a prospect as Pears, if not better, and Otten and Walker have proven themselves to be better prospects than Hooker imo.
Game, set and match.

Well I suppose it depends on what exactly you mean by drafts. You mention trades in 2000, then make no further references. How much value do you place on father-sons, rookie picks, pre-season draft pick-ups and NSW scholarship boys like Walker?

2002 - tough choice, but Wells, Grima and Mcintosh by the roos just takes it.

To be fair, the Grima you we drafted then isn't the one we have playing for us now. Blake was delisted 2 years ago and Nathan was drafted after that. Still i'm happy with Wells and Mcintosh.

To be fair, the Grima you we drafted then isn't the one we have playing for us now. Blake was delisted 2 years ago and Nathan was drafted after that. Still i'm happy with Wells and Mcintosh.

Really?

........Really???

To be fair it was a pathetic draft i reckon Sydney win though with McVeigh, Dempster and Malceski

You probably wouldn't include him as part of WC's drafting, but if you did: Kennedy, Hurn, JON (for lulz.. may still come good), Spangher and McKinley isn't too bad a score from the '05 draft.

Our '08 draftees seem to be coming along very nicely. As do Fremantles.

As stated in an earlier post, Adelaides '07 was epic.

oh my:eek:

All that's looking quality atm is Pears. Hooker isn't bad. You are the embarrassment of the competition for taking Myers at 5 ahead of Danger, Grimes and more
Surely North, Hawthorn and Melbourne did better, much much better?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think its that simple.

There were some ripper gets from clubs in this draft.

Selwood and Hawkins obviously stack up with the best though.

Port got Boak, Gray, Westhoff, Krakouer, Rodan and Stewart.

North has 7 players in their best 22 from this draft, including: Hansen, Warren, Goldstein, Thomas, Campbell, Urquhart, Adams etc

St Kilda did well too.

Armitage, Geary, Clint Jones and eddy.

Can't say I'm complaining too much with our 06 draft either, Tippett and Mackay were outstanding pickups with late 2nd and 3rd rounders and our first rounder Sellar finally looks like he might turn out half decent too.

Melbourne took Morton, Grimes and Wonaeammirri, Id rate that ahead also.

Yep.

Pears and Hooker are a great coup for the Bombers and will shore up the backline for a long time. However, it appears we burnt pick 6. Had we gone for Palmers (as I hoped) or even Rioli (less likely) we would have won it clearly.

As it stands, Adelaide by some margin and then us and Melb etc.

Although these drafts are still too early to call. I'd say anything from 06' onwards needs more time.

wow, this is still going.

wrote this when it was late and i was tired.
will cede on the 07 draft, but Myers is pretty good. just being played out of position, and Pears, Danniher and Hooker has basically given us a stable backline for years. cant underestimate that.

but yeah, Otten, Dangerfield, Petrenko & Walker are great pickups.

while i like Myers, i wish we had Rioli.

05 pies?
Ryder is a huge pickup. Neagle is a big kid and he will pick up. Sorta like our version of Hawkins. Needs to time to understand his body but he looks and moves a lot like the early days Brown. Would love him to get to half the player Brown is. Dempsey is a very good rebounding backman and lonergan is very underestimated. tough in and under mid with a huge work-rate

compared to the pies, daisy can run and take the occasional mark, but they got burned taking him #2.
2 very good ruckmen went in the top 10 with clark and ryder. why the pies thought they needed him i dont know.
Pendlebury is a star no doubt, and Anthony is also a great pickup (not sure why he is picked behind Cloke).
Stanley has disappeared off the radar.
2 good players, an inconsistent poster boy and a reserves player doesnt trump a FF, ruck/forward/chb, a McLeod-type backman and a decent enough inside mid.

i will say, 05 blues was a good year. Murphy & Bower plus the top up player for Judd. not bad.

Hawks also did great.
Ellis, Birchall, Bailey, Tuck, Dowler & Muston. good top up draft.

dont think the roos or dees did better than the dons either.

You are way overrating Essendon there:

Ryder is a good Ruckman and solid CHB, but has not really become elite and has shown not much ability as a forward.

Neagle is poor, nothing like Brown, who had elite endurance as a young player, Neagle is unfit and a bit of a plodder, really needs to be whipped into shape.

Dempsey has become a good rebounder, no where near Mcleods ability, he is a good player.

Lonergan is a hack, no use as an inside mid, no skills and Knights is playing him as a defensive forward.

Collingwood are above you as:
Pendlebury >> Ryder
Thomas = Dempsey
Anthony > (just) > Neagle (battle of the Hacks there)
Lonergan > Stanley (only as delisting)

You are way overrating Essendon there:

Ryder is a good Ruckman and solid CHB, but has not really become elite and has shown not much ability as a forward.

Neagle is poor, nothing like Brown, who had elite endurance as a young player, Neagle is unfit and a bit of a plodder, really needs to be whipped into shape.

Dempsey has become a good rebounder, no where near Mcleods ability, he is a good player.

Lonergan is a hack, no use as an inside mid, no skills and Knights is playing him as a defensive forward.

Collingwood are above you as:
Pendlebury >> Ryder
Thomas = Dempsey
Anthony > (just) > Neagle (battle of the Hacks there)
Lonergan > Stanley (only as delisting)

wow
Pendlebury > Ryder? Pendlebury is a great user of the ball, but to say he is better than Ryder is a bit much. Ryder has gone from a good CHB, to a bloody good roving ruck and his kicking for goal is very good. doesnt kick a lot, but when he does, he kicks straight and can kick long. Pendlebury is one of the best link players, but standalone he doesnt beat Ryder.

Thomas is a hack of a footballer. ok, he runs great and does some flashy stuff...which is a lot like Dempsey, but at least Dempsey runs into the pressure and will generally get the ball to the forward line. i dont think he is anywhere near Mcleods skill, just plays the similar role and doesnt do too bad

Anthony is far from a hack. I remember his first game, he presented, marked and kicked better than any pies forward since S Rocca. I think he is killed by having Cloke in the fwd line. I would say he is good bit better than Neagle. But to write Neagle off is harsh. 1st season out of the Lloyd/Lucas shadow. Along with Gumbleton and Hurley he will be a big part of our forward line.

few rate much of lonergan. he plays a lot like Peverill. body on the line, crashes the pack. nothing special, but handy at the least considering Watson was the only player doing it before last year.

Pendlebury > Ryder? Pendlebury is a great user of the ball, but to say he is better than Ryder is a bit much. Ryder has gone from a good CHB, to a bloody good roving ruck and his kicking for goal is very good. doesnt kick a lot, but when he does, he kicks straight and can kick long. Pendlebury is one of the best link players, but standalone he doesnt beat Ryder.

Thomas is a hack of a footballer. ok, he runs great and does some flashy stuff...which is a lot like Dempsey, but at least Dempsey runs into the pressure and will generally get the ball to the forward line. i dont think he is anywhere near Mcleods skill, just plays the similar role and doesnt do too bad

1. Pendlebury is better than Ryder, based on his level over a couple of years instead of Paddy's one.

2. Thomas is a gun footballer, he hasn't flashy things for a couple of years now and has taken the gravy out of his game, he is now really reliable and has recently been one of Collingwoods most consistent performers.

Don't quite know what you are talking about Royal but Anthony is just an average player, a third tall at best IMO, and I can't see him bettering his output of 50 goals ever. I may have undersold him a bit though he is reasonable yet not comparable to Neagle who is a hack.

I would take Pendlebury over Ryder, every day of the week, he is a good ruckman and good around the grounds but not elite and does not perform that well as a backman, Pendlebury is a very good mid, who I rate just higher. You way overrate Ryder.

Thomas is better than you give him credit for, he no longer just does the flashy but runs reasonably hard and actually goes in quite hard for the ball, is turning into a reasonable mid.

Brisbane did quite well in this Draft:
Mitch Clark: probably the best tall in the draft so far and has the potential to be the best from this draft, was great last year as a ruck, and showed signs he was getting back to his best against Port.

Rhan Hooper: Very talented small forward, but inconsistent and went AWOL.

Joel Patfull: Very good defensive HBF/CHB who is good on the rebound as well.

2003 - Freo did ok with Mundy, Murphy, Dunn and Peake, but Sylvia and Mclean take it for me

What? they did poorly! First rounder rounder Riley Dunn played about 5 games in 6 seasons, is Murphy still on the list? Peake is elsewhere. So, 1 pick out of 4.

Sylvia and McLean were no goldmines either - Cooney>>Sylvia & McLean - so the Bulldogs were the winner in this pitiful draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back