My top 5
1. Fyfe
2. Sandi
3. Ballas
4. Mzungu
5. Sutcliffe

Hill stiff not to get into top 5

Best clubman - Mzungu

Best "new" player depending on the criteria used ??? Tabener.

For me, without looking at stats and games played, Fyfe is the runaway winner and unquestionably our best player this year.
However, I think Fyfe, Barlow, Hill and Ballas all missed too many games to stand a chance to win it.
My guess: Sandi or Neale.

Realistically i would bet Barlow finishes top 5, but Sutcliffe would attract a lot of votes like others have pointed out he didn't miss a game and nailed his role down back most weeks.

I don't think we weight it quite so heavily on games played as other clubs do but yeah playing every game will see Sutcliffe finish top 10 for sure.

Isn't our voting system quite strange in that players lose a lot of points if they get suspended?

If so I can see a left field winner, like how Crowley won in 2012

I'm not sure on Fyfey being a runaway, the Doig seems to reward those that don't miss games. I seem to be going with the prevailing wind in thinking Sandi is probably favourite, missing 4 games through suspension will hurt Fyfe unless he dominated the rest of the count. I wouldn't put it past him given how he dominated the Brownlow but they rewards flash, the Doig rewards consistency a lot more so someone with less impact but a steady run across the season will probably come out on top.

Sandi-Fyfe 1-2, not sure what order.

Fyfe will probably win it, but Sandi, Hill, Barlow and Ballas will all be close. Expect Sutcliffe to be thereabouts as well, really rated his effort this season.

I'm really looking forward to it, this will be my 1st Doig. What should I be expecting? Will I be able to get a photo with Kepler?

Also, from what I've heard, it isn't strictly black tie. Is that true? Looking at the photos from last year there was only a handful of guys in the black tux and tie.

I'm really looking forward to it, this will be my 1st Doig. What should I be expecting? Will I be able to get a photo with Kepler?

Enjoy! It's a night where you feel like the whole Freo family has gathered to reflect on the season gone, and you're almost always guaranteed good company and conversation - especially if you're on the table where I am, obviously...;)

Yes, of course you'll be able to get a photo with Kepler. I strongly doubt you'll be the only one with that particular goal in mind! The MC does always take pains to point out that the evening is not an autograph and selfie session for members and fans to nag the playing and coaching staff - and rightly so - but I have always found players and staff to be happy to chat for a moment or two and have a picture taken, provided you're polite and only wish them well. I myself always make a point of personally congratulating the winner if I can, and have honestly never had any difficulty beyond my own crippling shyness!

My tips would be to wait until the breaks later in the count and after it, and don't forget to bring the player's partner into the conversation if they're there - a kind word about their dress or asking about their kids/jobs always helps break the ice and avoids the fifth wheel syndrome.

Also, from what I've heard, it isn't strictly black tie. Is that true? Looking at the photos from last year there was only a handful of guys in the black tux and tie.

Yes, it's more formal wear than strict black tie - all men must be in a suit with a tie of some description, and an evening gown for the women. This is mainly for the purple carpet though, and depending on the weather, most of the jackets are discarded once seats are taken and the meals are served!

And please don't think you have to have your photo taken on the purple carpet. If you want to see yourself in the slideshow they put up between main and dessert, or would like a memento, go right ahead - but if you're like me and take an abysmal photo, it's easy enough to duck around the back and carry on regardless!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't our voting system quite strange in that players lose a lot of points if they get suspended?

If so I can see a left field winner, like how Crowley won in 2012

Step aside guys, let the self appointed voting expert answer this one.

No, our voting system is not strange, in fact I think it's the most complete system going around and ones like it are used by a number of clubs around the league - though they are all a bit different.

Every player that plays gets a rating for every game, and it is done by aggregating votes across 5 different members of the coaching staff including Ross. So it's incorrect to say that players lose points for missing games, they simply aren't in a position to gain any while others would be.

It is the best system in the AFL, and it's why I rate the Doig and most other club awards over any other award going around including AFLCA and AFLPA MVP and, of course, the Brownlow.

I thought Mundy was way down compared to last year. To be honest, his only stand out game was the one against Hawthorn at Subi.
Just consistent and played majority of games is my logic. Similar to Crowley in his doig year. Ross he mentioned him a fair bit as well during the year as well.

Just consistent and played majority of games is my logic. Similar to Crowley in his doig year. Ross he mentioned him a fair bit as well during the year as well.

Understand your thinking, but nah. He wasn't as poor as some think, he was solid enough and rarely had a game where he was bad throughout, but he, by his own admission, wasn't in the greatest form. He'll be up there because, as you say, he played every game, but it still wont be enough. Sandilands played all but one game and was more influential and more consistently better for one. Fyfe will score very highly in pretty much ever game he played - those 4 missed games are the only reason he might not win it.

FWIW, my guess:

1. Fyfe
2. Sandi
3. Sutty - he's my dark horse - just did what he was meant to all year and in just about every game. If you want a Crowley 2012 equivalent, then Sutty would be it.
4. Mzungu
5. Mundy

Rest of the top 5 - Hill, Balla, Barlow, Pavlich, Duffield

I know this totally left field and was probably a waste of time however I tallied the number games our players receive AFLCA votes in and how many games they played.
Fyfe votes in 14 games played 20 games.
Hill votes in 9 games played 20.
Mundy votes in 9 games played 24.
Barlow votes in 7 games played 19.
Balla votes in 7 games played 20.
Sandi votes in 7 games played 23.
Pearce votes in 5 games played 24.
Crowley votes in 4 games played 24.
Mzungu votes in 4 games played 23.
Pav votes in 4 games played 22.
Johno votes in 4 games played 18.

As I said a waste of time but looking at it this way I would say Mundy or Sandi are a good bet. However what I did find interesting was how Pearce was rated, only one coach voted for him in at least 3 of his five games. I will not be surprised if Pearce polls well.

I know this totally left field and was probably a waste of time however I tallied the number games our players receive AFLCA votes in and how many games they played.
Fyfe votes in 14 games played 20 games.
Hill votes in 9 games played 20.
Mundy votes in 9 games played 24.
Barlow votes in 7 games played 19.
Balla votes in 7 games played 20.
Sandi votes in 7 games played 23.
Pearce votes in 5 games played 24.
Crowley votes in 4 games played 24.
Mzungu votes in 4 games played 23.
Pav votes in 4 games played 22.
Johno votes in 4 games played 18.

As I said a waste of time but looking at it this way I would say Mundy or Sandi are a good bet. However what I did find interesting was how Pearce was rated, only one coach voted for him in at least 3 of his five games. I will not be surprised if Pearce polls well.

Yeah I agree, I think Pearce will poll better than we think, particularly because he was quite strong early in the year (which many seem to forget). If they do call it round by round, he'll be in or around the top 5 at the half way mark I reckon. He'll fall away after that, and so I didn't have him in my top 10, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's there abouts when it's all done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back