FTA-TV The Fall

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the best ending but did like the
reaction of Scully in rushing straight to the aid of the psychopath rather than her 'new partner' after having declared she despised Paul entirely. You aint fooling me Scully, you want a bit of that nasty;)

Surprised Assistant Chief Constable Jim Burns didn't get a pity lay.

destined to eternity fapping away in the stationery closet...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll just put my entire comment in spoilers.

Have really enjoyed both seasons so far. I didn't think the ending saw the show fall down, was just not of the same high quality I'd come to expect. Jamie Dornan was a great find and this will probably be his breakout performance.

A few points on the ending anyway...

- The other detective who stayed back at the station must have been the only one to watch serial killer movies and tv shows and knew not to get involved.
- When the worlds most douchey man Jimmy kept popping up you knew he'd be used.
- Presumably one of Irelands worst serial killers and at the end they had 4 cops guarding him.
- As soon as Merlin chained himself to Paul you knew he would either be strangled or shot. RIP Merlin.

I think they could have done better. I didn't find the ending at all terrible but it was very meh.

I think the show would have been better served by keeping the original director. Elixuh 's link did raise an interesting point about plot points simply being dropped. The corruption plot line with drug enforcement officers being killed disappeared. Perhaps it was simply added to show the type of background events that happen in Northern Ireland.

I think the show would have been better served by keeping the original director. Elixuh 's link did raise an interesting point about plot points simply being dropped. The corruption plot line with drug enforcement officers being killed disappeared. Perhaps it was simply added to show the type of background events that happen in Northern Ireland.

They seemed to use it to tie it all in with certain main characters to make it all messy. Stellas promiscuity and seeming lack of care for what other people think or if she hurts other peoples relationships + the assistant superintendent with his shady dealings, lust for Stella and focus on self preservation above all else. So I think they just needed these small sub plots to frame certain characters in the mind of the viewer which made more sense as the show progressed (especially once they arrested Paul).

They seemed to use it to tie it all in with certain main characters to make it all messy. Stellas promiscuity and seeming lack of care for what other people think or if she hurts other peoples relationships + the assistant superintendent with his shady dealings, lust for Stella and focus on self preservation above all else. So I think they just needed these small sub plots to frame certain characters in the mind of the viewer which made more sense as the show progressed (especially once they arrested Paul).

European crime dramas seem to be a bit different to their US counterparts. US lead charaters usually have faults/demons but they seem to overcome them at the click of a finger and become some morally untouchable super warrior that the audience are meant to barrack for. A lot of the European crime dramas see the leads have the same faults/demons but they're rarely resolved. Makes it much more balanced. You want the criminal to be caught but rarely if ever barrack for the leads. Much more evenhanded story telling for viewers IMO.

European crime dramas seem to be a bit different to their US counterparts. US lead charaters usually have faults/demons but they seem to overcome them at the click of a finger and become some morally untouchable super warrior that the audience are meant to barrack for. A lot of the European crime dramas see the leads have the same faults/demons but they're rarely resolved. Makes it much more balanced. You want the criminal to be caught but rarely if ever barrack for the leads. Much more evenhanded story telling for viewers IMO.

Are you replying to yourself?

I'll just put my entire comment in spoilers.

Have really enjoyed both seasons so far. I didn't think the ending saw the show fall down, was just not of the same high quality I'd come to expect. Jamie Dornan was a great find and this will probably be his breakout performance.

A few points on the ending anyway...

- The other detective who stayed back at the station must have been the only one to watch serial killer movies and tv shows and knew not to get involved.
- When the worlds most douchey man Jimmy kept popping up you knew he'd be used.
- Presumably one of Irelands worst serial killers and at the end they had 4 cops guarding him.
- As soon as Merlin chained himself to Paul you knew he would either be strangled or shot. RIP Merlin.

I think they could have done better. I didn't find the ending at all terrible but it was very meh.

I looked Jamie Dornan up on wiki the other week to see what else he had been in and he is going to be the lead in the fifty shades of grey movie lol.

Season 2 was way short of season 1, in my opinion.

Season 2 was fairly different to season 1 primarily because (IMO) there were no murders in season 2. All of that was wrapped up by the end of season 1. Both of the story lines (police and Spector) were kept separate for most of season 1. They were brought together in season 2 and it was a bit of 'the chase is on' mixed with the back and forth between the police and Spector.

IMO season 2 wasnt way short of season 1 but season 1 was more exciting and captivating with all of the murders and getting to know the characters.

Loved this show from the very first episode. Dark, gripping and incredibly tense throughout. I think the calls if misogyny (which were VERY loud in the UK press) are unfounded, despite all the victims being female. Stella Gibson was a great character and a strong female one that held control and power over every male character she encountered. Also, how was she unlikeable? I was on Team Stella every step of the way, even though I wanted Spector to remain out of reach for a little bit longer.

I need some help from you all though. A friend of mine and I are having an argument of sorts about the ending.

He says:
It was a cliffhanger ending where we don't know if Spector is alive or dead.

I say:
He dead.

His reasoning is:
Spector getting shot and all the chaos surrounding that happened in the final minute of the show and there wasn't enough time to show conclusively. His eyes were apparently still open (I might need to re-watch that to confirm) and basically, if they wanted you to know he's dead, they'd show him dead.

My reasoning is:
This show has been more subtle than to just say they would've shown him dead if he was dead. He has been shot twice in the chest, is losing lots of blood, the ambulance has left and the chopper can't land. Therefore, dead. Also, during the interview, Spector says something along the lines of "You'll never know the power of what it feels like to hold a person as they breathe their last breath". It's poetic that she knows now.

So I've come to the wisest minds on the internet for help in adjudicating our argument ... So what do you think?

PS - We don't have to use spoiler tags, do we? I only did it so I don't get banned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back