Moved Thread The Footy Show v Before the Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Show stinks. I always thought the NRL show was a solid C rate show and the few times I saw the AFL show when living up north, the AFL show was crap in comparison to that!

Never watched Before the Game.

Foxtel all the way baby!

I wonder if his is also the networks attempt to contain Sam and some of his 'loose' late night TV antics. By shifting the show to the earlier time slot he won't be able to attempt some of his stupid stunts.

TFS could be a lot better for it. When Newman is serious and actually discusses the game he can be interesting.

If Sam is just himself and doesn't try too hard, Footy Show is fantastic.....but in saying that with a footy viewing line up of:

Mon: 360 and OTC
Tues: 360 and Insider
Wed: 360
Thur: 360 and AFL Team

I'm all footy media showed out but then...360 is the king of footy shows now....too bad about Robbo, he says some awesome things but at other stages he says some incredible stupid things...he just stinks of an unintelligent footy fan who has climbed too high...Ged is fantastic apart from the fact he loves Geelong and he ruffled my feathers after the swans lose in tassie saying "I put it to you that Hawthorn just aren't that good"...* you Gerard.

Saw TFS for the first time in years late this season. Reminded me why I gave it away very quickly. The egos on that show are so painful.

I wish someone would produce a football show by professional comedians/media presenters about football. The Footy Show is not funny because they don't have comedians on it - ex-sportspeople are rarely funny. And since Eddie left, the structure of the program has just collapsed. Eddie was a professional TV Host and knew how to keep the program running, he knew when a sketch should be cut short because it was dying and when an item could be milked because it was working.

Both programs have a huge black hole in them which is having current players on - the players are so programmed into being uncontroversial, saying nothing but cliches, and having the panel fawn over them, it becomes little better than an autograph session at an Auskick clinic.

I don't mind either, the toilet humour on the FTS grows a bit thin and stale at times but so does the sort of forced humour on BTG.

I'd probably lean towards BTG just because you seem to get words out of the footy players who appear on the show though if you're lucky enough to have Fox Footy, then that's the winner for a footy fan.

They're both terrible but The Footy Show has immature antics that can be amusing.

Before The Game feels like it's aimed at 12-year-olds and adults who think The Big Bang Theory is hilarious.

My only wish is for the AFL footy show to be half as good as the NRL footy show. Is that too hard?

The NRL show is about as good as getting diagnosed with ass cancer...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL Footy Show is very average, but to even suggest that it's worse than the NRL one makes me think most on here haven't seen the NRL Footy Show.

Living in QLD and being an ex-League fan, I used to watch it occasionally. It had a few years in the mid-late 00's when Vautin, Harrigan, Johns and Sterling were hosting in which it was a pretty decent show. Segments such as Daredevil Dudes and Their House with Ryan Girdler were always alright for a bit of a laugh, and even though it was very rarely about footy, it was still not horrible to watch. I never saw the AFL version back in those days, so I can't comment on its quality from back then.

Now, though, the NRL Footy Show is an absolute embarrassment to television. If you don't believe me, watch it one night next year - all the way through. I sometimes watch the AFL Footy Show now thanks to IQ, and I can see the criticisms of it and they are definitely on the money, but it also has some entertaining moments - both for footy news/discussion and for humour. Segments such as Street Talk and Sam's Mailbag need to be dropped immediately, though. But if I were a teacher grading it, it'd probably get a flat C, bordering on a C-.

However, if I were to grade the NRL version currently, I'd have to give it an 'unmarkable' or something similar. It is absolutely atrocious, as well as incredibly misogynistic, juvenile, and downright disgusting. How it's still on TV is completely beyond me. I watched an episode this year with a friend who's a big league fan, and apart from the match previews (similar to what's done on the AFL version), there was not one legitimate bit of footy discussion all night. A fair few jokes about one particular player probably having a vagina, though. I'm not even joking or exaggerating slightly.

Before the Game is good for a few laughs at times, but they try too hard at other times. Needs a bigger set and to not try and but in on every bit of footy chat with a gag that is only funny 50% of the time. Gets a B- though.

AFL 360 is clearly the best option out there. I was considering not renewing my Foxtel subscription in September, as all Lions games are shown live on 7mate as it is, but ended up doing so almost solely for 360. Yes, Robbo might make the occasional stupid comment - but that's part of his appeal. The edited packages are incredible, the insight is interesting (particularly from the two resident current players), and the humour is still there at times without trying hard to force it in - it comes naturally. Easily a solid A for mine.

I won't get into the other shows, but in comparison they do make the AFL Footy Show look less than average. But to suggest that it is worse than its NRL counterpart in any way is completely incorrect, and I can only imagine done without viewing of the NRL show in the past two or three years.

I'll be watching 360, BTG and TFS most Thursday nights, I'd imagine. Will fast forward through the vast majority of the latter two, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back