Mega Thread The Former Player Thread: Part 2

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
I agree. If Brandon wrote a regular column on the Swans website it would massively increase people reading the Swans website or any other publication likely to be read by Swans supporters.
The Swans website is so boring and uninformative. The Swans need to change their web presence so that it is relevant, up to date, slightly controversial, informative etc etc everything it is not. Tell us about their reserves games. Nothing. Tell us about the academy. Nothing. you have to go elsewhere to find any information.
💯

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Bear31 JackSwans couldn't agree with you more on BJ & his writing. I've been a fan of his pretty much since his first article appeared. He his, dare I say it, the type of AFL writer NSW football in particular needs and I wish we saw more of him during the season via a regular column.

In my opinion NSW footy overall, not just Swans, is in dire need for a greater imprint on the AFL media landscape, we need to have our voice heard from outside the usual AFL bubble.
BJ is in my opinion showing real promise in that regard.

Having read most of his work it seems obvious he's a step aside from the rather incestuous AFL media fraternity that flood the current AFL footy landscape.
Hope you don't mind but I passed on your thought to Brandon and to the Swans. I attributed it to "a poster" not wanting to violate privacy. Bloody good idea. The current level of writing and subject matter is complete shite. Mind you, last year was probably the worst ever.

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Given the whole covid environment, with cuts being made to core staff, i think this is a bit of a pipe dream atm. I definitely agree with the sentiment though.

Real journalism, with actual insights about the subject matter is pretty much non existent these days. Would be refreshing to see that change.

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
BJ deserves a bigger audience that the Swans website, Bear. And NSW AFL footy deserve & need more journalists of our own in the main newspapers. The Guardian is a good foil for BJ because its not linked to anything with Murdoch. But the problem with the Guardian is they don't do weekly AFL stories.
I'm only new to Bigfooty Ticky. You know better than me in what is required for NSW footy to get better quality media coverage. I agree with you that NSW footy needs its own journalistic content that is separate from the VIC centric usual media stuff to enable NSW to credible in AFL circles.
It does need to have quality to achieve relevance. It needs independence from other states and media outlets. It does indeed need its own credible independent voice to be heard weekly, if not daily. No one journalist can achieve that though.
To make NSW footy relevant, in al respects, in Victoria and other AFL dominated states through the media, what is required?

This is an open question that does not need an immediate answer btw

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Doing what out of curiosity? I know he was involved with swans a few years back as he was always over here when they played wce or Freo.
Ants started a cleaning company and now has the contracts for 100 odd schools , plus other business . Tony is head of operations.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

The Swans are putting forward a motion at their annual general meeting next month to increase the number of directors from nine to 10 – and O’Loughlin wants to fill that vacancy.

"I’m a one-eyed Sydney Swans person, spent my whole adult life here."

“I also bring the business side of things. Owning a business, from a start up to where we are today as one of Australia’s biggest Indigenous businesses, I bring some value."

“I love the game, I love the football club. If you have enthusiasm, passion and roll up your sleeves attitude you can accomplish most things.”

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Wearing his Sydney Swans uniform, former premiership captain and new mini-golf champion Barry Hall was quoted as saying

'This is a big achievement,' he said after the win. 'I'm very proud.'

I think it's fair to say that this mighty two sport achievement eclipses Laurie Nash's VFL/Australian test career.

39861948-9309091-image-a-27_1614511198724.jpg

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Back