Analysis "The game has changed" - 2022 Strategy Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

We all know injuries cruelled us in 2021. Almost all of our midfield was missing at times, 2/3rds of our backline was missing for some time leading toward seasons end. Almost impossible to be effective under the circumstances.

That said, imho, our game plan suffered largely due to the ineffectiveness of our small forwards to lock the ball inside our F50. Opposition teams too easily transitioned from defence to attack. This more than anything else we need to fix in 2022.

It would be amazing if someone could explain midfield tactics with mention of tactical roles (I often hear Fox Footy commentators like Jordan Lewis talk about the 'Sweeper' role).

Needs diagrams, and my simplistic explanation is more like what's happening at suburban level, rather than what's happening at AFL level. I don't have any special insight into what they do at the top rung, but I bet they add more layers than I ever know about.

The ruck can only try to hit the ball to one player, and there's three in there. So in a very basic set-up, one mid is the "target", the "sweeper" guards the space behind our ruck and the third player can be used for a bunch of jobs, including blocking for our "target", tagging their "target", watching their ruck to shark the hit-out if they win, or bursting into space to receive the first disposal.

There's a lot of ways to sweep, but just starting behind the ruck and staying there until the ball leaves the contest is the simplest. The aim is to stop the oppo running the ball straight at their goals, and I'll call that patch of grass they'd run through the back of the stoppage. If that happens at centre bounce, it's 7 vs 6, and the player with the ball doesn't have anyone in their grill. They can kick low and hard at any target they choose. Think Petracca in the GF. Or better still, think Dusty pumping the legs after he fends two of their players off.

It doesn't matter as much if you lose the clearance, but force them sideways, backwards, or just otherwise buy time for wingers (or others) to drop back into defence. When our system was humming, that's what we'd do, and then pick off the hurried kick out of congestion.

In seasons before 6-6-6, we'd start Lambert at CHB as an extra "defender" to run through the sweeper position before pushing into the forward line. Very effective. When 6-6-6 came in, we'd start one winger off the defensive corner of the centre square to run into the sweeper position. Didn't work as well, and we dropped it after a while.

We were atrocious at stopping the oppo running through the back of stopagges for large chunks of the season. Cotch was and is an alltime champion, and I don't think he gets the recognition for what an integal part of our system his sweeping work has been - up until last season. Injury, form or Father Time - doesn't matter. We need someone else who can do the sweeping job next season.

Personally, I like a big, violent sweeper. Someone whose tackles intimidate. Tucky was superb. RCD is the right shape. Baker has the right attitude. Prestia probably has the best craft, after Cotch. Who knows who we'll use next year? I don't doubt Dusty could add that layer to his game, but honestly, I think we'd be poorer for it as a team. Better to have him doing what he does, rather than waiting at the back of the stoppage in case his needed to lay a tackle.

Needs diagrams, and my simplistic explanation is more like what's happening at suburban level, rather than what's happening at AFL level. I don't have any special insight into what they do at the top rung, but I bet they add more layers than I ever know about.

The ruck can only try to hit the ball to one player, and there's three in there. So in a very basic set-up, one mid is the "target", the "sweeper" guards the space behind our ruck and the third player can be used for a bunch of jobs, including blocking for our "target", tagging their "target", watching their ruck to shark the hit-out if they win, or bursting into space to receive the first disposal.

There's a lot of ways to sweep, but just starting behind the ruck and staying there until the ball leaves the contest is the simplest. The aim is to stop the oppo running the ball straight at their goals, and I'll call that patch of grass they'd run through the back of the stoppage. If that happens at centre bounce, it's 7 vs 6, and the player with the ball doesn't have anyone in their grill. They can kick low and hard at any target they choose. Think Petracca in the GF. Or better still, think Dusty pumping the legs after he fends two of their players off.

It doesn't matter as much if you lose the clearance, but force them sideways, backwards, or just otherwise buy time for wingers (or others) to drop back into defence. When our system was humming, that's what we'd do, and then pick off the hurried kick out of congestion.

In seasons before 6-6-6, we'd start Lambert at CHB as an extra "defender" to run through the sweeper position before pushing into the forward line. Very effective. When 6-6-6 came in, we'd start one winger off the defensive corner of the centre square to run into the sweeper position. Didn't work as well, and we dropped it after a while.

We were atrocious at stopping the oppo running through the back of stopagges for large chunks of the season. Cotch was and is an alltime champion, and I don't think he gets the recognition for what an integal part of our system his sweeping work has been - up until last season. Injury, form or Father Time - doesn't matter. We need someone else who can do the sweeping job next season.

Personally, I like a big, violent sweeper. Someone whose tackles intimidate. Tucky was superb. RCD is the right shape. Baker has the right attitude. Prestia probably has the best craft, after Cotch. Who knows who we'll use next year? I don't doubt Dusty could add that layer to his game, but honestly, I think we'd be poorer for it as a team. Better to have him doing what he does, rather than waiting at the back of the stoppage in case his needed to lay a tackle.

Still baffles me how the dogs let the Dees get out of the front of the centre stoppage so easily in the third.

It’s a big part of why I believe we are a show next year and the Dees don’t worry me. They can definitely win it all again, but no team can take away your strengths like we have over the last 4 years.

RunningBounce, thank you so very much for your insight. I learnt a great deal. I'm excited to look at centre bounces more closely next year.

Still baffles me how the dogs let the Dees get out of the front of the centre stoppage so easily in the third.

It’s a big part of why I believe we are a show next year and the Dees don’t worry me. They can definitely win it all again, but no team can take away your strengths like we have over the last 4 years.

I have a Dogs supporter whose a ruck in the family. We re-watched it a few times. The Dogs didn't do much wrong structurally, IMO. Just got beaten by the bounce of the ball, strength (Petracca on Libba) and some very cunning clearance work. And then Melb got rolling, and jeez, doesn't confidence and momentum count for a LOT!

And I agree on our chances next year. We need to make a few changes, but not heaps. Stop Melbourne running through the back of the stoppage and Floss, Broad and Rioli could get leather poisoning picking off Oliver's wayward blast kicks from stoppage. Not sure they really have a aerial HF to challenge the intercepting HBs.

RunningBounce, thank you so very much for your insight. I learnt a great deal. I'm excited to look at centre bounces more closely next year.

Lol, better validate the nonsense I dribble with what other people say, but I'm always happy to talk centre bounces.

I have a Dogs supporter whose a ruck in the family. We re-watched it a few times. The Dogs didn't do much wrong structurally, IMO. Just got beaten by the bounce of the ball, strength (Petracca on Libba) and some very cunning clearance work. And then Melb got rolling, and jeez, doesn't confidence and momentum count for a LOT!

And I agree on our chances next year. We need to make a few changes, but not heaps. Stop Melbourne running through the back of the stoppage and Floss, Broad and Rioli could get leather poisoning picking off Oliver's wayward blast kicks from stoppage. Not sure they really have a aerial HF to challenge the intercepting HBs.

I haven’t rewatched it so I’ll take your word for it, but at the time I never felt the dogs setup to stop the momentum. Instead they kept trying to win the clearance instead of trying to halve it and win a secondary stoppage. This would have let them set up with a better structure behind the ball.

also the dog rucks were smashed by Jackson, he just surged it forward. Not sure he could do that against better rucks like Nank, Grundy, NicNat etc… who can play in a similar vein.

This is a fantastic post.

If I might ask, in your experience how much can strategy outweigh talent?

I look at the center these days and think that's where teams are getting a competitive edge as it's the only real limited numbers contest still going. Accordingly, I have wondered a bit about the mix that we have thrown in there at times (for example Bolton, Prestia and Cotchin in there makes us pretty undersized).

Is it as simple as changing up positioning, going a bit more defensive to try and halve more clearances which then places more emphasis on our turnover game? Alternatively are we getting the wrong blokes in there at the wrong time?

Our biggest improvement has to come from our I50 forward entries.

It's be really clear, we provide chaos and pressure where possible, but the priority is always, give everyone behind the ball time to set-up the defensive structure behind the ball before going inside 50.

Watching live, there are plenty of opportunities every single game to get the ball to Lynch 1v1, with plenty of space in front of him.

However, 9 times out of 10, then man with the footy holds it as long as possible, then just bombs it on Lynch's head, usual 1 v 2 or 1 v 3.

The second we give our forwards a genuine chance, scoreboard pressure will be just as important as around the ground pressure.

I hope Teague being forwards coach really improves this for us.

If I might ask, in your experience how much can strategy outweigh talent?

All my personal experience is in local footy, where talent tends to be highly variable. Not unusual to see a ruck whose under 6 foot going up against a 6 foot 6 opponent! When there's a freak in there, you can set-up however you want and you'll still lose.

Everyone on the field at AFL level has talent, so the set-up and a plan that all four mids know becomes more important for 1) making the most of clearances you win and 2) minimising the damage the oppo do when they win one.

But it's probably still not as important as talent, IMO. The opposition have had 260 games to review how Dusty does what he does, and they still can't stop him. Another example - Nic Nat. Set-up however you want, he'll just hit it to advantage in the gaps between or over the heads of your players.

And then there are those factors which make Aussie Rules glorious - bit of luck and confidence.

Literally, the bounce of the ball matters. If it goes backwards over the head of your ruck, they can't tap to certain positions, so the plan is out the window. And a hit-out is rarely precise. If it goes to 2 o'clock instead of 3 o'clock, the target mid is on the wrong side of his opponent.

If you're team is running hot and full of confidence, suddenly they start attacking a little more, get up on their toes rather than back on their heels, and that makes a massive difference.

So maybe 40% talent, 30% set-up, 20% confidence / momentum and 10% luck. Or something like that.

Is it as simple as changing up positioning, going a bit more defensive to try and halve more clearances which then places more emphasis on our turnover game? Alternatively are we getting the wrong blokes in there at the wrong time?

I don't think it's that simple. If I can see it, then surely Hardwick and team can.

I think all the above went against us at various stages this season.

We had lots of talent out. Soldo out all year. Nank out or carrying injury for two thirds of the season. (I can't tell you how ******* angry I am that we sent Nank back onto the ground with an injured PCL, and then brought him back before it was right. Very, very unlike Richmond, and really ******* stupid.) Lots of centre bounce mids out at the same time. Cotch injured, carrying injury, getting older. The players that came in simply weren't as good at either winning OR defending stoppages. Chol's too light to jump into 100kgs of opposition all game, so he tired, and they did what they wanted in fourth quarters.

And there's the thing about centre bounce - it gives momentum. Sports like both rugbys, basketball, NFL, soccer etc, when the opposition score, you get the ball back. In Aussie Rules, it goes back to a 50-50 contest. Win a clean centre bounce directly after kicking a goal and suddenly all 18 players grow 2 inches taller. Momentum and confidence count for a lot. It killed us this season, IMO. Those shocking losses from the West Coast game on... Sigh.

Set-up also relies a lot on chemistry. We didn't have too many games with everyone at the centre bounce knowing what everyone else was doing. Lol, how many of our young 'uns know what Shedda is gunna do if he wins the ball? I don't!

We probably could mitigate the risk of the oppo winning clean clearances better, but with Dusty and Bolton being two of the genuine clearance talents in the league, I guess we had to try to win some, not just defend them all. IMO, at least some of that comes back to the ruck. I've heard plenty of coaches say that they'd almost prefer to have a ruck they knew was gunna lose the hit-out. Makes the set-up and personnel easy to decide. Chol, and even Pickett, did win a few, so we needed a bet each way.

Agree on the wrong blokes at the wrong time, at stages. Some of that was "backing in" our players. We haven't had to deal with declining players for a long time. It's amazing how many seasons we strung together when every player on the list got better. Maybe a coach that had seen players coming off their peak would have tried a few positional changes, rather than just persisting with something that was not working.

I'm confident we'll be better at this aspect next season. Soldo and Nank alone improve us. I'd like to see Bolton go through the middle more. RCD has learned a little craft. Surely, we'll get more games out of Prestia. And I'm also confident we'll come up with something behind the ball so when the oppo win a clean clearance, we'll be better at defending it.

All my personal experience is in local footy, where talent tends to be highly variable. Not unusual to see a ruck whose under 6 foot going up against a 6 foot 6 opponent! When there's a freak in there, you can set-up however you want and you'll still lose.

Everyone on the field at AFL level has talent, so the set-up and a plan that all four mids know becomes more important for 1) making the most of clearances you win and 2) minimising the damage the oppo do when they win one.

But it's probably still not as important as talent, IMO. The opposition have had 260 games to review how Dusty does what he does, and they still can't stop him. Another example - Nic Nat. Set-up however you want, he'll just hit it to advantage in the gaps between or over the heads of your players.

And then there are those factors which make Aussie Rules glorious - bit of luck and confidence.

Literally, the bounce of the ball matters. If it goes backwards over the head of your ruck, they can't tap to certain positions, so the plan is out the window. And a hit-out is rarely precise. If it goes to 2 o'clock instead of 3 o'clock, the target mid is on the wrong side of his opponent.

If you're team is running hot and full of confidence, suddenly they start attacking a little more, get up on their toes rather than back on their heels, and that makes a massive difference.

So maybe 40% talent, 30% set-up, 20% confidence / momentum and 10% luck. Or something like that.

I don't think it's that simple. If I can see it, then surely Hardwick and team can.

I think all the above went against us at various stages this season.

We had lots of talent out. Soldo out all year. Nank out or carrying injury for two thirds of the season. (I can't tell you how ******* angry I am that we sent Nank back onto the ground with an injured PCL, and then brought him back before it was right. Very, very unlike Richmond, and really ******* stupid.) Lots of centre bounce mids out at the same time. Cotch injured, carrying injury, getting older. The players that came in simply weren't as good at either winning OR defending stoppages. Chol's too light to jump into 100kgs of opposition all game, so he tired, and they did what they wanted in fourth quarters.

And there's the thing about centre bounce - it gives momentum. Sports like both rugbys, basketball, NFL, soccer etc, when the opposition score, you get the ball back. In Aussie Rules, it goes back to a 50-50 contest. Win a clean centre bounce directly after kicking a goal and suddenly all 18 players grow 2 inches taller. Momentum and confidence count for a lot. It killed us this season, IMO. Those shocking losses from the West Coast game on... Sigh.

Set-up also relies a lot on chemistry. We didn't have too many games with everyone at the centre bounce knowing what everyone else was doing. Lol, how many of our young 'uns know what Shedda is gunna do if he wins the ball? I don't!

We probably could mitigate the risk of the oppo winning clean clearances better, but with Dusty and Bolton being two of the genuine clearance talents in the league, I guess we had to try to win some, not just defend them all. IMO, at least some of that comes back to the ruck. I've heard plenty of coaches say that they'd almost prefer to have a ruck they knew was gunna lose the hit-out. Makes the set-up and personnel easy to decide. Chol, and even Pickett, did win a few, so we needed a bet each way.

Agree on the wrong blokes at the wrong time, at stages. Some of that was "backing in" our players. We haven't had to deal with declining players for a long time. It's amazing how many seasons we strung together when every player on the list got better. Maybe a coach that had seen players coming off their peak would have tried a few positional changes, rather than just persisting with something that was not working.

I'm confident we'll be better at this aspect next season. Soldo and Nank alone improve us. I'd like to see Bolton go through the middle more. RCD has learned a little craft. Surely, we'll get more games out of Prestia. And I'm also confident we'll come up with something behind the ball so when the oppo win a clean clearance, we'll be better at defending it.
Thanks mate, these sort of posts are what I like, realistic analysis of game structures.

One think I'd like to ask though, is that you haven't mentioned Jack Graham in any of your discussion, for me he's our Jack Steele, offensively very good on the spread, hard in and under extracting the ball, just as good defensively if not better, gut runs from contest to contest and is threat in that high HF role when 'resting'. I think he's integral to our starting mids and getting from stoppage to stoppage. It seems that a lot of supporters either don't rate him or just don't see how effective he can be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies for the slight tangent, but would anyone have any tips on how to learn/understand football tactics/strategy? I only have a grasp of basic concepts ascertained from listening to commentators/tv analysts but would love to learn more.

Apologies for the slight tangent, but would anyone have any tips on how to learn/understand football tactics/strategy? I only have a grasp of basic concepts ascertained from listening to commentators/tv analysts but would love to learn more.
tip would be don't listen to commentators...

Special comments from ex players maybe, be commentators these days are horrific...

The best way to learn to be honest is to get involved with a local footy side... see it first hand then try and translate that to what you see on tv

Special comments from ex players maybe, be commentators these days are horrific...

The best way to learn to be honest is to get involved with a local footy side... see it first hand then try and translate that to what you see on tv

Hank Heavenly, thank you for the advice.

Thanks mate, these sort of posts are what I like, realistic analysis of game structures.

One think I'd like to ask though, is that you haven't mentioned Jack Graham in any of your discussion, for me he's our Jack Steele, offensively very good on the spread, hard in and under extracting the ball, just as good defensively if not better, gut runs from contest to contest and is threat in that high HF role when 'resting'. I think he's integral to our starting mids and getting from stoppage to stoppage. It seems that a lot of supporters either don't rate him or just don't see how effective he can be.

I gotta admit that I haven't seen enough of Steele. My interest in non-Richmond AFL drops off every time they bring in a new rule, so I pretty much only watch the Tigers and the Dogs now. (Family member is a passionate Bulldog.) I'm always a bit surprised when Steele does well in the Brownlow, is rated highly by media etc.

So I don't know about the comparison, but I do rate Graham. Already a very important cog, and a bloody good finals player. He has a pretty specific role, and he excels at it. It'd take our game to another level if he could lift his output with the footy, more disposals (2021 average 19), more clearances (1.8) and more goals (0.5), while still laying tackles and pressuring to the same level.

I'd be happy enough if he just keeps doing what his doing - especially in finals. I reckon the team would suffer if we lost his fierce hunt of the oppo ball carrier because he was chasing kicks. Fortunately, nowadays, we can have faith that there's a functioning system in place to improve players every year. If he ticks up 10% a year in all those stats for 3 years, he becomes pretty bloody good.

Jeez I love waddling out onto the field to listen to the coach address the quarter and three quarter time huddle. Coaches see the game better than anyone, IMO. I always learn when I listen to them.

There's still things in Richmond's game I can see because of Coach's Corner, and I don't think the club's done that in what, 7 or 8 years? Hardwick doesn't mind showing his cards a little in press conferences, either. Who knew "post-stoppage contested possessions" was a thing before he said it?

I gotta admit that I haven't seen enough of Steele. My interest in non-Richmond AFL drops off every time they bring in a new rule, so I pretty much only watch the Tigers and the Dogs now. (Family member is a passionate Bulldog.) I'm always a bit surprised when Steele does well in the Brownlow, is rated highly by media etc.

So I don't know about the comparison, but I do rate Graham. Already a very important cog, and a bloody good finals player. He has a pretty specific role, and he excels at it. It'd take our game to another level if he could lift his output with the footy, more disposals (2021 average 19), more clearances (1.8) and more goals (0.5), while still laying tackles and pressuring to the same level.

I'd be happy enough if he just keeps doing what his doing - especially in finals. I reckon the team would suffer if we lost his fierce hunt of the oppo ball carrier because he was chasing kicks. Fortunately, nowadays, we can have faith that there's a functioning system in place to improve players every year. If he ticks up 10% a year in all those stats for 3 years, he becomes pretty bloody good.
Have a look at his stats in our wins.

jack graham.JPG

I think most would say that he's been inconsistent, but I think it's more indicative of the role he's asked to play.

Steele and Graham are very similar types and if Jack get's that fulltime mid role then he'll be just as good. Steele is captain of the Saints and I can see Graham in that position after a couple more years if not sooner.

I think most would say that he's been inconsistent, but I think it's more indicative of the role he's asked to play.

100% agree on that.

Not sure I see much of an obvious pattern in the difference between our wins and losses... He beat up on Carlton and Norf (without Cunnington, IIRC?), but he should. Carlton are soft, and asking for a beating from a powerful unit like Fridge, lol.

Are you saying he has to spend less time accumulating / forward when we're in trouble? Or we play well when he plays well? Or something?

Yeah, I'm very comfortable for him to be the next captain. But we have such strong leadership at the moment, it honestly doesn't much matter to me who gets the title. It'll still be a team stacked with premiership leaders.

100% agree on that.

Not sure I see much of an obvious pattern in the difference between our wins and losses... He beat up on Carlton and Norf (without Cunnington, IIRC?), but he should. Carlton are soft, and asking for a beating from a powerful unit like Fridge, lol.

Are you saying he has to spend less time accumulating / forward when we're in trouble? Or we play well when he plays well? Or something?

Yeah, I'm very comfortable for him to be the next captain. But we have such strong leadership at the moment, it honestly doesn't much matter to me who gets the title. It'll still be a team stacked with premiership leaders.
I'm more alluding to your point about the sweeper role, I can't go back and see whether he was playing as that defensive mid and receiver when Cotch, Prestia, Edwards were in and more of clearance player when they were out, but in those games you highlighted he gained 7 & 11 i50's. Anyway it was just more an observation that he's overlooked as one of the players that can have a larger impact whilst transitioning into that full time mid role. He's not going to have the speed and evasiveness of Cotch but he's a bit more damaging with the ball and we obviously need players to step up and fill the positions of the guys who are getting on a bit.

Speaking of that, we've never been a high clearance team or a team that over uses the ball, although our run through the 2020 finals proved a little different to that. My take was that we had a fit and well managed ruck pair that wore down the oppos ruck and provided that extra midfield tackling bull, leading to us running over teams in the 2nd half of games. With Soldo and Nank back, rested, injury free and with a solid pre season our midfield is going to be dangerous, that goes for Edwards, Prestia, Cotch and of course Martin, Bolton will thrive with cameos in the centre, Lambert will also benefit from the rest. I really see the team being able to have a red hot crack next year and the years after.

To be honest I think we are gonna struggle next year even with a better fitness. But you can almost guarantee Dion, Cotchin, Lambert and one of nank or soldo will get inured next year.

Melbourne have taken elements of our game and adapted it to the new rules and style to an elite level. Plus their players are all young and in their prime. Geelong, Swans, Melbourne and GWS slaughter us in the midfield. If your win the midfield you win footy games in 2021/22

As others said, local clubs are a good way to pick up the fundamentals of modern strategy. I learnt heaps from playing in a team that used a zone, even if it was a primitive version of it I got an idea of what the aim is and roughly how to do it. Even though AFL teams employ much more refined versions of it, it's not that far removed.
I'd add to go to AFL games, get a seat in level 3 and watch the whole ground in play (or as much as you can). The reason most analysis on TV is terrible is that they can get away with it. Richmond's game plan gets boiled down to 'pressure, pressure, pressure, outnumber opponent, force turnover, then move the ball forward in any way' because that's what you can see on TV. But you don't see the way all our players off screen are setting up to ensure that it's not just the next few possessions that are pressured, but that the ones after that are too. And that when we surge the ball forward, there's still players to get it to up the ground. Even if its neutral game where you can detach yourself from the scoreboard and just watch the play.

I'm more alluding to your point about the sweeper role, I can't go back and see whether he was playing as that defensive mid and receiver when Cotch, Prestia, Edwards were in and more of clearance player when they were out, but in those games you highlighted he gained 7 & 11 i50's. Anyway it was just more an observation that he's overlooked as one of the players that can have a larger impact whilst transitioning into that full time mid role. He's not going to have the speed and evasiveness of Cotch but he's a bit more damaging with the ball and we obviously need players to step up and fill the positions of the guys who are getting on a bit.

Ah, yep, gotchya now.

I didn't mention Graham when I was thinking about who steps in after Cotch because I'm really undecided.

The role Graham plays, although defensive, is IMO the opposite of sweeping. A bit "see ball, get ball", but maybe more like "see ball-carrier, get ball carrier". I reckon the sweeper has to be a bit more patient to be effective, and essentially stay at the back of the stoppage guarding the space, until a beat or two after the ball leaves the area.

I don't doubt he could learn to do it, but it probably takes away his strengths of agility and quick reflexes getting after it. But he is a really good size, strength and his tackles don't get broken... I dunno. Wouldn't mind having a look at it. More a question of how it affects midfield balance, rather than if he can do it or not.

Have a look at his stats in our wins.

View attachment 1259549

Steele and Graham are very similar types and if Jack get's that fulltime mid role then he'll be just as good. Steele is captain of the Saints and I can see Graham in that position after a couple more years if not sooner.
"but I think it's more indicative of the role he's asked to play." bingo
all those single figure disposals in our losses , are the oppo sides putting work into him to stop his I50's or in those games is he playing more of a stopping role ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back