The game that has defined your gaming life

Remove this Banner Ad

Age of Empires II - was always a RTS and history nerd and when this came out I think it was the best combo of its time.

Clogged up many hours of dial up modem work on this bad boy. And still get nightmares of that noise you got when one of your workers exhausted his farm.

Halo:CE without a doubt. Got the original xbox back in 2001 I think, got Halo with the console in a bundle and played it non stop for years, I was about 8 when I first played it, and finished the campaign many times with my brother.

The storyline, gameplay, music, everything was amazing and because at the time it was something new, it just made it that much better. Lots of memories playing it.

Probably Goldeneye or Mario cart really got me into video games. Also Shane Warne Cricket is a game I spent a lot of time on. As nowadays there are a lot more games and also now I have the ability to buy them more often I don't stick with games as long as the above.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2. The music, the level design, the gameplay, everything about that game. Always brings back nostalgia when I play it and I think I've bought every version of that game on every console (Well not the iOS version but I'll remedy that soon).

Final Fanasty 7 was a real game changer for me... before this game I was playing super mario and donkey kong etc... First real open world game with awesome storyline line I played and ignited my love for gaming after it was starting to wane!

Hard to split between streetfighter 2 and Civ 2

I used to wag school to play SF2. It was the game that got people back into the arcades.People were lining up to challange each other.So many different characters and moves.there was also longevity with it because of the excitement when it ported across to the Super Nintendo and megadrive.It set the standard for a decade +

Civ 2, well i lost relationships over this game. The best thing I ever did later on, was teach my girlfriends how to play it( then watch them crack the sads as I stole their technology with my spys)

Honarable mention(s). System Shock 2, Fallout 3 and the Last Ninja

Diablo 2, AO2, and Pokemon red/blue. Poured so many hours into these games of the years, and due to my age when they came out was pretty horrid at all of them. Pokemon I pretty much leveled up my starter, and would use the missingno glitch to have heaps of master balls to catch the legendaries, AOE I would always end up cheating and sending near infinite waves of paladins at the opponent, as well as making heaps of my civs unique units. Diablo 2 I couldn't really understand hotkeys, and nearly always played barbarian.

San Andreas probabaly took up the most hours of my life, but these are the games I look back on the most fondly.

Pitfall on my Atari 2600 what a game for the time! (1988 when I first played it as a 9 Year old) had me hooked in to video games, was so different then all the other type games on the system at the time too.

That and wayne gretzky 3D hockey on the N64 got me back in to console gaming some years later played the s**t out of that game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Atari 2600 as well. River Raid. Clocked it, had my photo taken with a polaroid in front of the screen and sent it to Activision to collect my River Raid jacket patch which my Nan sewed on for me! :thumbsu:

I dont know about defined.. but Resident Evil 2 is one of my earliest and fondest memories of gaming. I remember playing of a nigth time and having a licker jump out at me and absolutely shitting my pants. Was one of the first times playing an open world type game.

Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario World, Tetris and Dr Mario, Killer Instinct, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Kart, Donkey Kong and Diddy King, The Simpsons Road Rage, Hit & Run, The Simpsons Game, Smackdown Shut Your Mouth, Here Comes The Pain, Smackdown Vs Raw 2004-08, Battletoads, The Mask and The Lion King.

There's too many games that were a part of my childhood that I can't narrow it to one.

It's hard to say, I don't think a game I played when I was younger on the NES/SNES/Mega Drive defined me, I just played because they were fun without thinking.

Zelda: OoT brought another level to gaming and was probably a bit of a turning point, however the N64 was still used for just pure fun games, without much depth - Mario Kart, NBA Hang Time, Smash Bros etc.
I never had a PS1 or PS2 so missed out on a lot of great games at the time.

It wasn't until I played Star Wars: KoToR that things really changed, suddenly my world had opened up to real RPGs and from there that became my favourite genre, I went back and played older RPGs like Chrono Trigger and other SNES RPGs, through to every Bioware game ever released and continue to search for anything RPG.

Pokemon Gold and San Andreas probably define my early to late childhood, but Red Dead Redemption is the game that brought me out of my gaming shell. Before I started playing RDR, I had sort of lost interest in gaming, and I had played maybe five games in five years, most of them sports and racing games. I was a very tentative gamer. However, since RDR, I have played maybe, thirty games over the last three years; games I normally wouldn't have taken an interest in, like Uncharted, Mass Effect, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, etc.

Super Mario 3 for me. I can still go back to it, and knock over a couple of hours of gameplay without any hesitation. It's as close to a perfect game as I think i've ever played.

SEGA:
- Sonic
- Aladdin

N64:

- Goldeneye (Single Player)
- Perfect Dark (Multiplayer)
- Banjo Kazooie

PC:

-The Classic RTS's: Age of Empires, Rise of Nations and Empire Earth.
- Rome: Total War (still to this date, the game I've put most hours into. Endlessly replayable)
- Shane Warne Cricket 99
- The Civilisation Series

PS1:

- Crash Bandicoot
- Rally Cross
- Time Crisis

PS2:
- SSX
- Gran Turismo

(Not two of the greatest games of all time, but the first two I owned on PS2 and I have fond memories of them)

Wii:

- Resident Evil 4
- Super Mario Bros.

PS3:

- Uncharted Series
- Fallout 3
- ES: Oblivion

Gameboy/DS:
- The Zelda Series
- The Mario Series
- The Pokemon Series

Top 5 I'll go:

- Rome: Total War
- Rise of Nations
- Fallout 3
- Goldeneye
- Shane Warne Cricket 99

Atari 2600: Frogger, Pac-Man and other similar classics
Commodore 64: International Soccer, Summer/Winter/World Games -- would play the hell out of these games
Sega Master System: Alex Kidd in Miracle World and Sonic -- I remember spending hour upon hour on these with friends
Sega Mega Drive: early NBA Live games -- would hike my SMD around everywhere and play buddies all weekend/holidays
PC (late 1980's to 1996): Wing Commander, Civilization, Doom, early CM games
Playstation: Crash Bandicoot, NBA games
PC (1997 to 2002): I remember playing the Quake and Unreal series here way more than what I should have and EverQuest
PC (2002 to 2013): Continued playing EQ, World of Warcraft, FM, The Elder Scrolls
Xbox 360 / PS3: An era where I owned more than I played (same can be said with my Steam account and thus far PS4/X1)

Top 5 in order of significance on life: World of Warcraft, EverQuest, NBA Live series on consoles, Wing Commander and Summer/Winter/World games

Speaking of the NBA Live series.... I remember being in absolute awe of the graphics in this game:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back