Society/Culture The Gender Pay Gap

Remove this Banner Ad

Odd that they have chosen a medium pay gap measure rather then a mean based wage measure.

Basically means that at the top of the company hierarchy where the big bucks are paid to a select handful no gender changes are required and companies can continue to be all male at the top cos it wont impact a medium measure. Therefore fixing a companies pay gap comes down to solely replacing the male staff underneath in middle management roles with women.

The only question i have was this by design or has it occured due to the Labor party being incompetent?

Male leaders love to talk about improving the gender pay gap but only beneath them. As an example, take Albanese and Chalmers talking about women numbers in the Labor party.

Fudge the numbers by only employing women in to higher paying roles and not entry level ones I assume.

Since it's just reporting on workplace wide earnings, if you remove the 'low' paid elements it pushes the median and mean numbers up.
Allied couriers has a gender pay gap of nearly 10 percent in the favour of women (i.e the medium women gets paid 10 percent more then men).

Why would this be the case? Because the majority of drivers earning the lower wages will be unskilled men while the women would be working in the headoffices. But these women could theoretically still be discriminated against in the workplace in head office positions and still record this positive gender pay gap outcome measure. As long as the company tried not to employ women as drivers.

With this measure there is now a disincentive to employ women as couriers, where the bulk of their employment is because it would bring down the pay gap numbers.

I.e this measure takes zero account of the proportion of women vs male workers in the company and does nothing to boost the female ratio. All it does is incentivise not hiring men in higher position roles (but not at the very top because its a medium measure rather then a mean based measure) and not hiring women in lower position roles. I.e. its going to lead to mass discrimination in hiring practises against both men and women.

It is interesting the different attitudes in workplaces around Australia. My organisation has staff all over the place, outside Canberra - there is essentially no difference between men and women. In Canberra, where the people who are supposed to drive equality are - you get PAs largely chosen by the amount of clothes they aren't wearing and examples like the one I had last week where my older female boss, a co worker and I went to a conference. Three times people came up , shook mine and my coworker's hand and then asked who our female staff member was and is she could get us coffee.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Noticed that this thread was started in 2016.

It's been satisfying to watch as the public discussion has moved so far from those days. People no longer use misleading statistics to claim there's some huge gap due to discrimination. The discussion has become more nuanced and evidence-based.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes: We see a pay gap due to discrimination. It's there. The claim has been proven.

Blind hiring practices see more women and people from minority groups employed. Why would that be??

The responses seem to be "my boss" this and "I know a woman who earns more than me" and the like.

Yes: We see a pay gap due to discrimination. It's there. The claim has been proven.
The claim used to be "woman earn X cents to the dollar that men earn. Discrimination!"

Now the discussion has recognised that the vast majority of that difference is due to women making different career or life choices, or due to women having different underlying personality traits- eg higher levels of agreeableness.

Blind hiring practices see more women and people from minority groups employed. Why would that be??

The responses seem to be "my boss" this and "I know a woman who earns more than me" and the like.

Nah I don't think it's been proven. I don't think discrimination has completely been eroded but there are a lot of other reasons why this statistic exists of course.

Not all of the pay gap is discrimination. That's known.

Some of it is. That's known.

Some of it is by industry. Some of it is workplace structure. Some of it is devaluing certain types of work. And more.

One question worth asking is whether the gender pay gap is actually a bad thing.

If I think about my mates, in most cases the man earns more than the woman, because in most cases that's what works best for their family situation, and results from decisions they've made jointly for the benefit of their family unit and children.

Not all of the pay gap is discrimination. That's known.

Some of it is. That's known.

Some of it is by industry. Some of it is workplace structure. Some of it is devaluing certain types of work. And more.
This.

And it's opposite too - overvaluing certain types of work.

Traditionally female jobs like aged care, nursing, primary teaching = really important.

Stock broking - studies have shown that cats and throwing darts is just as effective.

This.

Traditionally female jobs like aged care, nursing, primary teaching = really important.

Stock broking - studies have shown that cats and throwing darts is just as effective.

Or I guess undervaluing certain types of work, same thing really i guess, like with the jobs you mentioned.

One question worth asking is whether the gender pay gap is actually a bad thing.

If I think about my mates, in most cases the man earns more than the woman, because in most cases that's what works best for their family situation, and results from decisions they've made jointly for the benefit of their family unit and children.

Well yeah, I mean if my wife earnt more than me she would have gone back to work full time and I would have stayed home with the kid. I know a few blokes whose wife earns more and they've done this, it's just economics.

This.

It was good hearing about the old phone broking system for currency trading dying completely with the advent of electronic trading. $50 a throw in the 80's to have some dude write down a bid and ring a few people to get a buyer. Then commission and not to mention the corruption.

Dropping in a huge bank-backed system to connect parties instantly at half the price flushed that down the dunny.

I know a few blokes whose wife earns more and they've done this, it's just economics.
This is where Teffy would have dropped in pointing out some stats about dudes earning less more often cheating with a girl earning less than them.

Hypergamy!

This.

Plenty of jobs (finance, real estate I'm looking at you) are not paid based on value to society, just on profit. Stock brokers best trick is making people think they can beat the market and be willing to hand over their cash, pay a fee, and pay commission for them to almost certainly not beat the market.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back