Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Horn winning by UD is up there with Pac beat Floyd by UD.

As much as we wanted it to happen and it was close, it didn't.

Urg

And i really like Horn, How could you not? Gave it a go. Very likable, but giving it a good hard try shouldn't win you boxing fights. It was the wrong decision. Then again thats the way it's gone in the past 25 years. WTF is with Australian Boxing bouts recently? Scoring has been a joke

seven rounds to five was a fair call. it's not a tally of punches but of rounds, and it's not the number of punches in any round but the impact. add horn being more aggressive in most of the tight rounds and it's a fair result from two of the judges. well done jeff!

Agree with this, Horn lost the fight but won the sporting contest.

A bit like Hilary winning the popular vote, it's pointless winning the contest you're not having.

The problem with not being the local fighter (Australia a prime example) is that the overseas judges, officials, etc get treated with all the hospitality in the world by from the host country.

Then you add in the local support of the fans and these people can be easily influenced.

I thought it was a very close fight if Horn's elbows, headbutts and punches to the back of the head count towards his effectiveness.

The fact the referee hardly called out Horn for any of this throughout the fight certainly benefited Horn.

I thought the referee did almost nothing all fight. Sometimes you complain about a fight being over officiated. But this is a clear case of it being under officiated and the ref not doing his job.

The Mayweather callout at the end was absolutely cringeworthy. Just be happy with the win!

The facts are that PAC landed more punches than Horn in 11 of the 12 rounds........and at twice the rate!
This shouldn't have even been a close decision, and to that female judge who scored the fight 117-111 in Horns favour........just lol.
I hope the authorities are keeping an eye on her bank account or spending habits in the next few months. She's on the take!

The facts are that PAC landed more punches than Horn in 11 of the 12 rounds........and at twice the rate!
This shouldn't have even been a close decision, and to that female judge who scored the fight 117-111 in Horns favour........just lol.
I hope the authorities are keeping an eye on her bank account or spending habits in the next few months. She's on the take!

As mentioned before people need to stop putting so much weight towards Compubox Numbers. They are very subjective (just look at what used to happen in the amateur ranks when it came to scoring punches) and we have no idea who was compiling the numbers yesterday. They even had Pacquiao landing more punches in the first which is very debatable. If you watch the fight (without the clowns from ESPN commentating) you can see that this was a close fight. Everyone on Boxnation gave it to Horn, on the Top Rank telecast Sheridan had it a draw and Green had Horn winning (although he is likely to be biased). So two of the three major telecasters yesterday gave it to Horn or one gave it to Horn and one had it a draw if you exclude Green's opinion. There are other well respected figures like Malignaggi and Campbell who gave Horn the win and there are even more who understand the decision. Even Roach or Pacquiao haven't come out and said it was a robbery (apart from the 117-111 card) but yet here we are with most people calling it a clear robbery. It's ridiculous. Yeah the 117-111 card sucked and the referee was favourable towards Horn but 115-113 was a fair card if you weren't watching ESPN.

The problem with not being the local fighter (Australia a prime example) is that the overseas judges, officials, etc get treated with all the hospitality in the world by from the host country.

Then you add in the local support of the fans and these people can be easily influenced.

I thought it was a very close fight if Horn's elbows, headbutts and punches to the back of the head count towards his effectiveness.

The fact the referee hardly called out Horn for any of this throughout the fight certainly benefited Horn.

I thought the referee did almost nothing all fight. Sometimes you complain about a fight being over officiated. But this is a clear case of it being under officiated and the ref not doing his job.

The Mayweather callout at the end was absolutely cringeworthy. Just be happy with the win!

The casual fan who does not even know the rules, probably sees all that activity as legit.

They probably also looked at Pac bleeding and concluded that Horn was doing a great job.

The fact that Horn was also the one doing the majority of the walking forward further convinced them that he was in control.

If you actually go by the rules on how to score a fight, there is NO WAY that Horn can be argued to have won that fight.

Clean punching: Pac won nearly EVERY round on that criteria. There's no argument that can be made that Horn did the cleaner work. No way.

Effective Aggression: does not include headbutts, holding and hitting, rabbit punching, or walking forward and getting countered at a clip of two punches to 1.

Defence: The guy that gets hit half as much, whilst both are throwing about the same amount of punches, has the better defence. Hint: it's not Horn.

Ring Generalship: Here an argument can be made that Horn was the general for the first half of the fight, as it was being fought on his scrappy terms. But again, I can't make that argument in the second half of the fight. Pac broke him down and had him on the verge of being stopped. He was also countering him silly for the majority of the fight's second half.

Personally, I felt this was a 9-3 or 8-4 type of fight. Even if you are biased as f##k and had them split 6 rounds a piece, Pac clearly had a two point round when he had Horn spaghetti legged.

I have no doubt that if Whitaker-Chavez was held in Australia and Chavez was Australian, people would think Chavez won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

round 8 Pac man lunges his head into Horne and Horne falls over , the ref said it was accidental and not a knockdown but that head butt definitely rocked Horne for the last minute of round 8 and into round 9 . Explains why Horne may have looked fatigued to the Ref .
The numbers posted earlier about Pac landing more punches is the biggest load of crap I have ever seen definite bias there .

As mentioned before people need to stop putting so much weight towards Compubox Numbers. They are very subjective (just look at what used to happen in the amateur ranks when it came to scoring punches) and we have no idea who was compiling the numbers yesterday. They even had Pacquiao landing more punches in the first which is very debatable. If you watch the fight (without the clowns from ESPN commentating) you can see that this was a close fight. Everyone on Boxnation gave it to Horn, on the Top Rank telecast Sheridan had it a draw and Green had Horn winning (although he is likely to be biased). So two of the three major telecasters yesterday gave it to Horn or one gave it to Horn and one had it a draw if you exclude Green's opinion. There are other well respected figures like Malignaggi and Campbell who gave Horn the win and there are even more who understand the decision. Even Roach or Pacquiao haven't come out and said it was a robbery (apart from the 117-111 card) but yet here we are with most people calling it a clear robbery. It's ridiculous. Yeah the 117-111 card sucked and the referee was favourable towards Horn but 115-113 was a fair card if you weren't watching ESPN.

Most respected figures i've seen post or said anything about the fight have given it to Manny. I wouldn't put too much weight on what malignaggi says though, he is probably pacquiaos biggest hater.

I watched in the stadium, it looked close, but it was hard to see the action. what was noticeable though, was Pacquiao definitely landing the cleaner punches. Couldn't really tell if horn was hitting arm/gloves or actually landing on Pacquiao half the time.

When i get time to watch the replay, i'll probably watch the ESPN version. Never been a fan of english broadcasts as i find they always misrepresent the action.

I watched it and scored it 6 a piece but it was hard because Horn was moving around so much and throwing a lot wild punches mostly missing. Pac got a lot through that could have been missed if you weren't paying attention. If you take off an extra point in the 9th that would give Pac the win. As I said though very tough fight to judge. The judge that scored it 117 - 111 was on crack.

LOL protect boxing's integrity

THE World Boxing Organisation will re-score the Manny Pacquiao-Jeff Horn welterweight title fight because of the contentious unanimous decision awarded to the Australian challenger, but there is no plan to change the result.

The WBO was responding to a Philippines government department’s request to review the fight after Pacquiao said the decision against him Sunday was unfair.

The Philippines Games and Amusements Board (GAB) said it based the request on protecting boxing’s integrity, citing possible miscalls by the referee and judges. But the WBO reiterated its only hope of revoking the fight judges’ decision rests on proving fraud in match officiating.

“I would be very grateful if the GAB can provide any evidence indicating fraud or violation of law,” WBO President Francisco Valcarcel said in a letter to the GAB dated Thursday.

“The purpose of this review is to be able to give the fans certainty of who was the winner of the bout, even though we do not have the power to reverse the decision of the judges.”

Valcarcel said five anonymous judges will review the bout, assigning their own scores to rounds. “Then, we will tabulate the results to ascertain clearly which rounds each fighter won using an average scale based on 60, 80 and 100 per cent,” Valcarcel said. “This means that three of the five officials have to agree to determine which fighter won the round.”

The fight at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium was scored 117-111 by Waleksa Roldan and 115-113 each by Chris Flores and Ramon Cerdan, with Roldan’s score coming in for most criticism.

Valcarcel supported the judges, who have each scored hundreds of fights. “The officials who participated in this fight are all professional, distinguished, honest and honorable human beings,” he said.

Pacquiao earlier this week urged the WBO to review the “unfair decision and officiating” after losing his welterweight title.

Pacquiao endorsed a formal call by the Philippines’ Games and Amusement Board for the WBO to review the outcome of Sunday’s fight in Brisbane.

“I love boxing and I don’t wanna see it dying because of unfair decision and officiating,” Pacquiao, 38, said in a statement issued by his office.

“I had already accepted the decision but as a leader and, at the same time, fighter I have the moral obligation to uphold sportsmanship, truth and fairness in the eyes of the public.”

In the twilight of a 22-year pro career in which he won world titles in an unprecedented eight weight divisions, Pacquiao had initially called for a rematch, but later said he would also “think hard” about retiring.

374fa638d878a348ce858fba84e17f0f

Jeff Horn throws a jab at Manny Pacquiao.Source: AAP
Widely written off by observers, Horn, 29, shocked Pacquiao with his ultra-aggressiveness to earn a unanimous 12-round decision.

A day after the bout, the Philippines’ sports regulatory body wrote the WBO calling for a “thorough review” on the decisions of American referee Mark Nelson and the judges.

“We are making this request for a review, which may call for sanctions on the referee and judges if so warranted, in furtherance of our mutual goal of protecting the integrity of the sport,” the board wrote.

Pacquiao attached a copy of the letter to his own statement. “WBO should take appropriate action on the letter sent by the Games and Amusement Board so as not to erode the people’s interest in boxing,” Pacquiao said.

The WBO on Tuesday responded to the controversy in its Twitter account. “The discretion of a referee or judge cannot be reversed, except in a case of fraud or violation of laws which is not the case in Pac vs Horn,” the WBO said.

“The contract for Pac vs Horn provides a rematch clause, which the WBO is in accordance (with) if the promoters decide to move forward.”

While saying he respected the fight outcome, Pacquiao had questioned the referee’s decisions and made disparaging comments about Horn.

“He’s not really good but he’s really strong,” Pacquiao said of Horn on Monday, while the Filipino’s camp criticised the referee for supposedly allowing the undefeated Australian to get away with a host of illegal tactics.

“The problem here is that the referee, I don’t know if he did it deliberately or he just did not have experience, he just allowed it and did not even give any warning for how many times,” Pacquiao said.

“It’s as if the referee wanted to help my opponent.”
https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing...r/news-story/53d31d3c8df925d5e244da4d89054eb2

Last edited:
Correct decision stands

Five independent judges reviewed the fight, watching without sound, and delivered their decision
analysis outlined below.

“The Jeff Horn vs. Manny Pacquiao bout results were controversial causing disputes amongst fans. For this reason, transparency is so important,” the WBO statement read.

“The WBO does not have power to reverse the Judges decision based on discretion as it can only be revoked when fraud or a violation of Law has occurred, which is not relevant in this case.

“Based on this, five (5) anonymous, competent Judges from different countries were asked to watch the bout without sound.

“Then, the independent results were tabulated to ascertain clearly the rounds each fighter won using an average scale based on 60, 80 and 100 per cent. To determine the winner of each round, 3 out of the 5 officials have to be in agreement.

“Upon the analysis, the findings stated that Pacquiao won the 3rd, the 8th and 9th by 100%; the 5th round was won by 80%; and the 11th round by 60%. Horn won the 1st, 6th and 12th rounds by 100%; rounds 2nd, 4th, and 7th by 80%; and then, the 10th round by 60%.

“From the results, it can be established that Pacquiao won 5 rounds while Horn won 7 rounds.

“The next step of the analysis was to combine the Independent Judges with the Bout Judges to find the percentage agreement by round.

“Upon doing this analysis, the findings of the Judges stated that Pacquiao won the 3rd and 9th by 100%; the 8th round was won by 87.5%; no rounds were won by 75%; the 5th round by 62.5%; and the 10th and 11th were even rounds.

“On the other hand, the Judges findings stated that Horn won the 1st, 6th, and 12th rounds by 100%; by 87.5%, he won the 4th and the 7th; the 2nd was won by 75%; none were won by 62.5%; and the even rounds were the 10th and the 11th.

“The analytical method utilized was also used in the decision of Algieri-Provodnikov and Paquiao-Bradley. Based on this analysis, Jeff Horn was the winner of the bout.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing...d/news-story/5e166c90e74ee901c0b97c0e5044967e

It is legit. Anonymous to the public to stop any undue interference, but known and recorded with the commission.
WBO is Top Rank. Every WBO belt is held by a Top Rank fighter nearly.......I thought it was a good fight but had Pac winning handily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back