Analysis The go home factor, equalisation, draftees requesting trades

Remove this Banner Ad

They didn't need to use 7 to get a team to take his contract on. Hawks would have done it for far less than pick 7. His manager has played a part in all this. Bombers probably would have too.

One of real head scratchers no matter what club the player selected

1. Bottom four clubs to have increased salary cap and extra rookie list spots to add depth for the next season.

2. Draft academy set to Zones for New South Wales and Queensland.

3. Three year contract for all first round selections.

4. Revised equalisation.
18th- Pick 1, 2
17th- Pick 3, 4
16th- Pick 5, 6
15th- Pick 7, 8

Then it reverts to normal with the bottom four clubs not gaining there normal second round pick.

1. Bottom four clubs to have increased salary cap and extra rookie list spots to add depth for the next season.

4. Revised equalisation.
18th- Pick 1, 2
17th- Pick 3, 4
16th- Pick 5, 6
15th- Pick 7, 8

Then it reverts to normal with the bottom four clubs not gaining there normal second round pick.

It was mentioned by David King but surprisingly I like the idea but he came up with the idea that we help the teams who have not made the 8 for a while more.

In that he suggested having round 1 normal, but after round 1 every team that has not made the 8 in 4 years gets an additional pick at the end of the first round in order of how long it has been.

So just as an example

Pick 19 - Gold Coast
Pick 20 - North Melbourne
Pick 21 - Essendon
Pick 22 - Adelaide

ect

and once every team that has not made the 8 in 4 years has an additional pick round 2 continues as normal (Also I know I probably got the above teams wrong but you get the general idea)

It was mentioned by David King but surprisingly I like the idea but he came up with the idea that we help the teams who have not made the 8 for a while more.

In that he suggested having round 1 normal, but after round 1 every team that has not made the 8 in 4 years gets an additional pick at the end of the first round in order of how long it has been.

So just as an example

Pick 19 - Gold Coast
Pick 20 - North Melbourne
Pick 21 - Essendon
Pick 22 - Adelaide

ect

and once every team that has not made the 8 in 4 years has an additional pick round 2 continues as normal (Also I know I probably got the above teams wrong but you get the general idea)

Isn’t quick enough imo. To many clubs are non factors and don’t seem to be improving.

4. Revised equalisation.
18th- Pick 1, 2
17th- Pick 3, 4
16th- Pick 5, 6
15th- Pick 7, 8

Two problems with 4.

(1) A lot of years there's not going to a massive drop off between teams finishing 14th and 15th. Teams finishing 13th , 14th and 15th coudld be seperated by percenateg and could be more about the draw and who they played than actual long term list condition. There not always going to be exactly 4 really bad teams.

(2) This is heavily rewarding sandbagging. up the rewards for finishing lower, when 15th is Twice as rewardng as 14th.

Draftees requesting trades early on is becoming a huge issue. I think the main way it can be stopped is through longer contracts on draft day

Draftees requesting trades early on is becoming a huge issue. I think the main way it can be stopped is through longer contracts on draft day
There are downsides to clubs with longer draft contracts as well.

The more I think about it, the more I subscribe to the idea that longer draft contracts will mean teams will be more reluctant to take on interstate draftees.
Do clubs really want to risk taking on a player for 4 years who shows an inkling that they don't want to be there? I don't think that 2 years or 4 years makes much difference in a players motivation to be honest.
This isn't the NBA where multi million $ salaries help "cure" home sickness.

(And yes, the answer quite probably is that my thoughts are wrong, but opinion only)

There are downsides to clubs with longer draft contracts as well.

The more I think about it, the more I subscribe to the idea that longer draft contracts will mean teams will be more reluctant to take on interstate draftees.
Do clubs really want to risk taking on a player for 4 years who shows an inkling that they don't want to be there? I don't think that 2 years or 4 years makes much difference in a players motivation to be honest.
This isn't the NBA where multi million $ salaries help "cure" home sickness.

(And yes, the answer quite probably is that my thoughts are wrong, but opinion only)
Yep. You’ve missed the point.

Two problems with 4.

(1) A lot of years there's not going to a massive drop off between teams finishing 14th and 15th. Teams finishing 13th , 14th and 15th coudld be seperated by percenateg and could be more about the draw and who they played than actual long term list condition. There not always going to be exactly 4 really bad teams.

(2) This is heavily rewarding sandbagging. up the rewards for finishing lower, when 15th is Twice as rewardng as 14th.

Clubs are already doing that. Look at Hawthorn and North.

My solution - Top 10 draft picks get paid $500k a year on a minimum 4-year contract, if at the end of the 4 years the players re-sign with the drafted club 50% of their salary is outside of the salary cap.

Gives both player and club incentive to smooth out any bumps that might come along the way, gives player financial security to set up a life interstate and gets them through that tricky age where they feel like they are missing out on all the fun back home. Clubs are also locked in for 4 years so need to invest in development of the kids.

This also makes top 10 picks far more valuable to the club holding them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My solution - Top 10 draft picks get paid $500k a year on a minimum 4-year contract, if at the end of the 4 years the players re-sign with the drafted club 50% of their salary is outside of the salary cap.

Gives both player and club incentive to smooth out any bumps that might come along the way, gives player financial security to set up a life interstate and gets them through that tricky age where they feel like they are missing out on all the fun back home. Clubs are also locked in for 4 years so need to invest in development of the kids.

This also makes top 10 picks far more valuable to the club holding them.
What happens when you draft a dud in the top 10?

Stuck with a crab for 4 years on $500k pa

What happens when you draft a dud in the top 10?

Stuck with a crab for 4 years on $500k pa

How many top 10 picks dont make it to year 4? Would be less than 10% and the benefits to both clubs and players in my proposal far outweigh the rare occurrence when a club would be 'stuck' with a top 10 dud..

imagine being forced to pay 500k a year for Paddy Dow though.

We would have paid him minimum for first year 80k, and then extended his contract for another 4 and as a top 3 pick the contract would not have been far off $500k.. Yep its bad business for Carlton but hasnt killed the club either.

A lot to be fixed equalisation is a farce with magic compo, free agency disproportionately aiding the top clubs the draft not working for rebuilds. Free agency theory doesn’t work in large part in the afl because it seems most players chase success at a reduced rate to open market not cash. And the club getting the agent only gives up cap space at a reduced rate. We need to force the club to give up draft capital too, I guess by changing compo to be forced trading i.e. whatever the compo pick value the club getting the free agent has to hand over that or a greater value pick they either have or are forced to acquire. I see this as the only way to bridge the reduced rate gap
I agree with everything in this post but may I say the factor with f.a which causes a divide between the top and bottom teams is the compensation, with ufa it doesn’t matter as much but with rfa it is. Take the Jeremy Cameron situation for example, if gws didn’t bid and gain 3 picks between 10-20 they would have only received one around the top 15 mark for their most important player. Too many clubs would rather take the safe option depending on the componensation pick (frawley and Tom lynch: pick 3), which while it compensates the team draft wise, it also makes the top team (hawks, tigers at the time), stronger without any loss besides salary cap space.

Last edited:
In my opinion I believe that in the draft during the first round players should be able to nominate if they wish to stay in their home state or whether they are prepared to nominate into an open pool. Clubs in the first round can only take players from their home state or the open pool. Once you hit Round 2 it becomes open for all players to all clubs.

You still have the ability to trade picks so if one state has a dearth of players they can trade picks out.

I think it will prevent a lot of this go home issue for top end players. As for NSW & Qld they maybe adversely affected but maybe rules would be made about Academy picks.
I agree with most of your opinion but What if pick 1 nominates their home state and the only two teams that can choose him made the grand final the year before?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back