Religion The God Question (continued in Part 2 - link in last post)

god or advanced entity?

• god

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • advanced entity

Votes: 21 60.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
IF I'm a christian and I commit suicide. Will I get into heaven?
Simple answer is no.

Not because you've done something, but because heaven is a figment of your imagination.

You will however, most likely be encased in a wooden box, lowered into the ground in an area littered with other wooden boxes and allowed to rot, in your own time, back into the earth.

Fun times.

No one knows? I think nowadays the "moment of insanity " clause comes into it a fair bit. Also no one knows what's went through the mind in the last mini second etc.
So main stream Christian religions nowadays are going with the still a good chance that person is off to heaven.

I'll be praying for those in this thread who can feel God's whisper in their heart, are maybe a little curious, and are drawn into the conversation.

If you have any questions, I'm free to answer them best I can :)

I'm sorry?

I'm making myself available to those who have any questions as I'm pretty knowledgable on the subject. If I can help even 1 person then I'll be pleased.
What is your background? what work do you do? and why here? You're obviously new here, so I can only assume you came here for this thread, and not the football threads.

What is your background? what work do you do? and why here? You're obviously new here, so I can only assume you came here for this thread, and not the football threads.

I haven't been reading through the thread, just came here to offer my support and prayers.

I'm a lifelong AFL fan and follow Essendon (yes, you can see why I have to exercise my faith! Haha)

I've been supporting the Bombers on the hot topic board and the topic of religion came up. Thought I'd look around!

I'm not working for any organisation or get paid in any way to do this. Just of my own free will :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't been reading through the thread, just came here to offer my support and prayers.

I'm a lifelong AFL fan and follow Essendon (yes, you can see why I have to exercise my faith! Haha)

I've been supporting the Bombers on the hot topic board and the topic of religion came up. Thought I'd look around!

I'm not working for any organisation or get paid in any way to do this. Just of my own free will :)
Good luck, there are a lot of atheists here, and hey I'm guilty of stiring the pot on the religion issue. But if you have a look at; well some of my posts. You might understand why I detest religion so much. I think you will find, most atheists have had some background with religion, rather than to 'blindly accept' that religion is false.

Good luck, there are a lot of atheists here, and hey I'm guilty of stiring the pot on the religion issue. But if you have a look at; well some of my posts. You might understand why I detest religion so much. I think you will find, most atheists have had some background with religion, rather than to 'blindly accept' that religion is false.

Yes I agree, most Atheists have unfortunately had an unpleasant experience with religion at some point in their lives. It is not up to fellow society to judge, rather we should extend our hands and hearts in hopes of touching some of you in a way that brings you great joy with God. However, the problem is that there are many problems with religion in the world today, chiefly the fact that the world is rapidly changing, technology is blurring moral lines that were once clear cut, and the Bible is harder to understand due to the subtle differences between different eras.

I believe through open dialogue anybody can change their mind :)

What would be your first criticism of religion for me to address?

Yes I agree, most Atheists have unfortunately had an unpleasant experience with religion at some point in their lives. It is not up to fellow society to judge, rather we should extend our hands and hearts in hopes of touching some of you in a way that brings you great joy with God. However, the problem is that there are many problems with religion in the world today, chiefly the fact that the world is rapidly changing, technology is blurring moral lines that were once clear cut, and the Bible is harder to understand due to the subtle differences between different eras.

I believe through open dialogue anybody can change their mind :)

What would be your first criticism of religion for me to address?

Its hard to follow Christianity, when there are so many different branches, that do not agree with one another. If the book is to be taken literally, why is it so hard for christians to universally agree on its content.

Its hard to follow Christianity, when there are so many different branches, that do not agree with one another. If the book is to be taken literally, why is it so hard for christians to universally agree on its content.

The different denominations around the world each claim to interpret the Bible in a slightly different way. It is true that the passages in Genesis for example are metaphor, while Creationists take it literally. The Bible is in God's inspiration but was ultimately written by various men along the way, so we cannot definitively know whether certain parts are metaphor or literal. This is where scientific facts like evolution can still be true and help us understand which parts are metaphor.

Either way, the Bible should be taken as a starting point for moral behaviour, and I encourage readers to ask questions :)

I won't touch on the Big Bang argument, as there's no easy reconciliation with the argument that God always exists in and outside of space/time. It's a poor argument on our side as it's not falsifiable.

Faith is something that gives great meaning to our lives. How do you propose we live a life in which death is the end?

Without organised religion, where would billions of people in the world get their social network, which is proven to provide a blanket of happiness and economic prosperity?

Without organised religion, where would billions of people in the world get their social network, which is proven to provide a blanket of happiness and economic prosperity?
Would be developed in a way which would not cause as much conflict and would not involve people believing complete and utter crap.

Would be developed in a way which would not cause as much conflict and would not involve people believing complete and utter crap.

In what way?

Fully Atheist countries would be full of crime, depression, suicide etc.

It's easy to want a revolution, but once you succeed you then have to agree with everybody about the next step - this is where most societies in history fall down.

And religious countries are not? Give me a break.

Nowhere near as much as fully Atheist countries. Everyone has their moments where they falter, but we can ask for forgiveness :)

The problem is Atheist countries have no mechanism for reintegrating people back into society after they take the wrong path in life. Religion offers a clear new life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back