Universal Love The Great Dane - hanging the boots up (officially)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pendles' biggest downfall in regards to winning a Brownlow during his career will be his propensity to argue with the umpires. It shouldn't affect votes, but it pretty clearly does. The guys who just get on with the game are far more likely to poll votes than the ones who get angry with decisions.
He's not abusive, he just puts his case across and that's his right/role as Captain.

He's not abusive, he just puts his case across and that's his right/role as Captain.
Never said he was abusive. And you're right, he does put his case across, as is his right, often forcefully so.

If you think that umpire votes aren't influenced by players who argue the point though, you're naive. There's a reason Prndles has never been a big vote getter, despite being universally regarded as one of the best players in the league for several years now.

Never said he was abusive. And you're right, he does put his case across, as is his right, often forcefully so.

If you think that umpire votes aren't influenced by players who argue the point though, you're naive. There's a reason Prndles has never been a big vote getter, despite being universally regarded as one of the best players in the league for several years now.
Really necessary?

******* done with the main board disrespectful pieces of s**t, any other champion they get nothing but pages and pages of love, not a Collingwood player though.
Dunno man, some of the comments are pretty good for a laugh. I especially liked one from a tigers fan who tried to slip Cotchin, Martin and Delidio in to the same company as Voss, Black, Buckley and Swan. Jesus Christ, my drink came out of my nose when I read that rofl :D

I can't help thinking "what could have been" - if Swan hadn't have got injured, that likely would have been two more years of Dane Swan running around in B&W. Just look at the Hawthorn blokes like Hodge signing on for next year.

What difference do people think he would have made this year? Surely not enough to get us into contention, but it may have been the difference between finals and missing out...

The bigger question - what difference may he have made next year?

I can't help thinking "what could have been" - if Swan hadn't have got injured, that likely would have been two more years of Dane Swan running around in B&W. Just look at the Hawthorn blokes like Hodge signing on for next year.

What difference do people think he would have made this year? Surely not enough to get us into contention, but it may have been the difference between finals and missing out...

It's butterfly in China stuff.

What would have been the effect of Swanny playing instead of Crocker / Philips / Wills / Caff?

What would have been the effect on Cloke if he'd had a grounded senior player around him keeping things real?

That's obviously harder - can't predict the effect on a senior player having spent a year out of the game.

That's obviously harder - can't predict the effect on a senior player having spent a year out of the game.

I think the premise of the hypothetical was that if he hadn't been injured.

2 or 3 tight games played this year, a guy like Swanny could have conceivably dragged us over the line. It's not out of the question to think that he could have been the difference this year between finals and another year in the wilderness.

There is no doubt that having Swan would have been a plus. There is no way we were good enough to make finals though. We weren't good enough last year and we weren't better this year while a few others had improved. You can't just slot a player in and add few close losses to the ledger. As soon as you improve you get treated differently by the other teams. Geelong for instance are a far better side than we are and at full rat power we don't beat them. Our midfield skill and depth and our backline are just not good enough to play finals and certainly nowhere near top 4.

(1) Mick Malthouse had to leave towards the end, he said his apologies (I missed the reason he gave), he gave thanks for being invited back, then got up and left, to a little applause and shaking a few hands on the way out. I just thought it was a bit odd - it go a few minutes overtime, but can't imagine there'd be too many things in life that you'd have to leave before the end of a Dane Swan retiring press conference for?

76, it wouldn't be the first time MM has behaved in an odd manner.:rolleyes:

Likely
That's main reason
Plus I think he does things subtlety as well, almost unnoticed (that basketball thing last week) etc.
He's just a low 20s polling player
Maybe another year he'll get a Brownlow.

I'm thinking our next Brownlow will be Treloar or De Goey

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no doubt that having Swan would have been a plus. There is no way we were good enough to make finals though. We weren't good enough last year and we weren't better this year while a few others had improved. You can't just slot a player in and add few close losses to the ledger. As soon as you improve you get treated differently by the other teams. Geelong for instance are a far better side than we are and at full rat power we don't beat them. Our midfield skill and depth and our backline are just not good enough to play finals and certainly nowhere near top 4.
2 Bulldogs games, 1 Against the Tigers, both lost by the closest of margins. Swan could conceivably have been the difference maker in all 3, which would put us on 12 wins, outside the 8 by percentage, and playing for a spot in the finals this week.

All well and good to say you can't just slot in a player and say x x x games would have been wins, but when you're talking about a player of Swan's caliber, it's an entirely plausible scenario.

76, it wouldn't be the first time MM has behaved in an odd manner.:rolleyes:
Malthouse is the most immature mature age man I've ever seen. Not looking Bucks in the eye when they shook hands (that Bucks initiated as Malthouse no doubt wouldn't have) is the perfect representation of what sort of "man" he is.

Malthouse is the most immature mature age man I've ever seen. Not looking Bucks in the eye when they shook hands (that Bucks initiated as Malthouse no doubt wouldn't have) is the perfect representation of what sort of "man" he is.

Quote from Malty at SEN today that might explain him not looking Bucks in the eye..............

“For the first couple of years, (Eddie and I) stayed clear of each other, but I’ve got no issues there. Nathan is a bit different. We probably don’t see eye-to-eye in many instances, so the best thing is you don’t put yourself in a confrontational position.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r/news-story/b5463f802a76bccc0cd394191439e979

2 Bulldogs games, 1 Against the Tigers, both lost by the closest of margins. Swan could conceivably have been the difference maker in all 3, which would put us on 12 wins, outside the 8 by percentage, and playing for a spot in the finals this week.

All well and good to say you can't just slot in a player and say x x x games would have been wins, but when you're talking about a player of Swan's caliber, it's an entirely plausible scenario.
It's not impossible but it is impossible that nothing else changes except the increase of Swan's considerable output.

We probably lost game 1 v Dogs because we ran out of bench. Doubtful Swan makes the important difference there. In any case, 23 games get played differently. It's folly to assume we win all 3. The opposition could react differently, other sides we beat could play better/differently and turn results around. As I said, a good side like Geelong goes into a game against a poorly performing side like Collingwood and they let their guard down. if you think there is any other reason we won then you are kidding yourself.

The point is, we weren't the 8th best side with Swan. We haven't been for 3 years and we haven't improved in that time. Hawthorn didn't go backwards by Franklin when he left and Sydney didn't improve by franklin when they added him. On the contrary the result reversed. Adelaide haven't gone backward by Dangerfield when he left. We didn't go backwards by Swan when he didn't play. It never is that simplistic.

If we added Swan and nothing else we wouldn't make the 8 next year. We need all our injured players to be fit and plus we need to find a quick mid with footskills plus we need a back or two to improve significantly and I reckon we still battle for the 7-10 spots. We just don't have the talent experience or game nouse with or without Swan's considerable contribution.

Last edited:
Quote from Malty at SEN today that might explain him not looking Bucks in the eye..............

“For the first couple of years, (Eddie and I) stayed clear of each other, but I’ve got no issues there. Nathan is a bit different. We probably don’t see eye-to-eye in many instances, so the best thing is you don’t put yourself in a confrontational position.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r/news-story/b5463f802a76bccc0cd394191439e979
"but instead just stab him in the back every chance I get"

It's butterfly in China stuff.

What would have been the effect of Swanny playing instead of Crocker / Philips / Wills / Caff?

What would have been the effect on Cloke if he'd had a grounded senior player around him keeping things real?

The difference is about four or five more wins

Did anybody watch the actual streamed (live) interview?

I saw bits of it - it was due to start at 12:30pm and actually finished a bit after 1:30. The replay on the club website only shows around 30 minutes of footage.

Some bits that are missing ...

(1) Mick Malthouse had to leave towards the end, he said his apologies (I missed the reason he gave), he gave thanks for being invited back, then got up and left, to a little applause and shaking a few hands on the way out. I just thought it was a bit odd - the presser did go a few minutes overtime, but can't imagine there'd be too many things in life that you'd have to leave for before the end of a Dane Swan retiring press conference?

(2) At one point Swanny said that a lot of people think they know him but they don't, the only people that do know him are sitting in the front two rows.

(3) Swanny was sincere and grateful to the club right throughout, but at one stage he implied that (my impression:) he felt he had given his pound of flesh to the club and now wanted himself back. Shortly after the press conference I got an email from the club to buy signed Swanny memorabilia. It made me imagine that we didn't let him leave the building until he'd autographed everything in the joint that wasn't bolted down. I reckon when the club go to pack and despatch some of that stuff, they're going to discover "Mickey mouse woz 'ere" scrawled across a lot of it :p

(4) Swanny said that "for the first six years it was cool, because most stuff got swept under the carpet. But for the last six years nothing got swept under the carpet" - it seemed that it had taken its toll on him. His dad commented, from a parent's point of view, when Dane started his career it was really cool to see his son in the paper - but then you get to a stage where you simply dread seeing your son in the paper. It was pointed out that at one stage Swanny was on the front page more than the Prime Minister.

(5) They played a fictitious soundtrack of Collingwood playing in the 2016 Grand Final. IMHO really cringeworthy and I couldn't stand to listen to it.

(6) The club are making a documentary about him - it's yet to be finished, but they played a teaser.

There was probably other stuff because there was a lot I missed. I missed the intro, and that's not on the club website either.

I really thought some of that stuff was very poignant - shame it got left out.
Maybe mick had a book launch

A little bit off topic but .........I have been a bit down on the club in a post or two lately about the lack of engagement with members/community feel that some other clubs seem to do much better.

So I should ark up when we do something well - and when you have a look how we treated Swanny (and even Caff/Toovey) vs Boomer Harvey (even allowing for their different situations ) I think it's something the club should get some kudos for. So - well done!

A little bit off topic but .........I have been a bit down on the club in a post or two lately about the lack of engagement with members/community feel that some other clubs seem to do much better.

So I should ark up when we do something well - and when you have a look how we treated Swanny (and even Caff/Toovey) vs Boomer Harvey (even allowing for their different situations ) I think it's something the club should get some kudos for. So - well done!

So in conclusion...you were wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back