• Johnson
  • McStay
  • Elliott
  • Hill
  • McCreery
  • McInnes
  • Ginnivan
  • Resting Ruckman (Cox or Cameron)
  • rotating mid/forward (eg. De Goey, Carmichael)

That's a possible 10 players squeezing into 6 spots. 8 into 6 if you remove the resting ruck or rotating mid

I'd argue Hill is easily starting 23 without even blinking, and with Ginnivan out for the first 2 rounds, you can bet those getting a game in there are going to go all out and try and make it impossible for him to get in.

Not sure you can just call him a walk up purely based on last year. As others pointed out, once the umps stopped paying him frees, his output declined noticeably. So you'd expect that umpire treatment to continue. Which might hamper his output compared to last year.

Hill and McCreery will both be forwards who put pressure on (highly desirable) and Hill will most likely pair that with decent Goal output. He's almost literally an in/out for Ginnivan for Rounds 1 and 2.

So if Ginni is a walk up start, who comes out for him come Round 3? Particularly if the smaller options are performing.

I don't think it's completely crazy to think that

Right now, our forward options are:

• Mihocek
  • Johnson
  • McStay
  • Elliott
  • Hill
  • McCreery
  • McInnes
  • Ginnivan

That's a possible 10 players squeezing into 6 spots. 8 into 6 if you remove the resting ruck or rotating mid

I'd argue Hill is easily starting 23 without even blinking, and with Ginnivan out for the first 2 rounds, you can bet those getting a game in there are going to go all out and try and make it impossible for him to get in.

Not sure you can just call him a walk up purely based on last year. As others pointed out, once the umps stop paying him frees, his output declined noticeably. So you'd expect that umpire treatment to continue. Which might hamper his output compared to last year.

Hill and McCreery with both be forwards who put pressure on (highly desirable) and Hill will most likely pair that with decent Goal output. He's almost literally an in/out for Ginnivan for Rounds 1 and 2.

So if Ginni is a walk up start, who comes out for him come Round 3? Particularly if the smaller options are performing.
Loads of options mate. Good times.
Elliott McReery and Hill from your list can also play midfield.

I don't think it's completely crazy to think that

Right now, our forward options are:

• Mihocek
  • Johnson
  • McStay
  • Elliott
  • Hill
  • McCreery
  • McInnes
  • Ginnivan

Not sure you can just call him a walk up purely based on last year. As others pointed out, once the umps stopped paying him frees, his output declined noticeably. So you'd expect that umpire treatment to continue. Which might hamper his output compared to last year.

Hill and McCreery will both be forwards who put pressure on (highly desirable) and Hill will most likely pair that with decent Goal output. He's almost literally an in/out for Ginnivan for Rounds 1 and 2.

What do you base Hill’s high goal output on?

I love it Ginni only kicks goals because he ducks so he is not as good as a forward who doesn’t kick goals

Who do you think may replace him. Murphy?

Murphy… maybe J Ryan if his development is quick… probably a couple of options

Wilson is a long shot. Kelly too.

If Frampton holds down FB then Dean eventually might be used as a 3rd tall when he returns from injury 🤷‍♂️

A few options

Howe is out of contract I believe at years end but might still play on.

My guess is he’ll retire if he suffers a decent injury or a form slump and is in danger of being dropped

Maynard. Frampton. Howe
IQ. Moore. NDaicos
JDaicos. Mitchell. Sidebottom
Lippa. McStay. McCreery
Elliott. Checkers. Hill

Cameron. De Goey. Crisp
Pendles. Adams. Cox. Noble
Sub: Reef

It's not out of possibility we eventually go with 1 ruck which opens the door for reef to have more opportunities.

Was listening to the afl fantasy update and Riley Beverige who was at the game seems to think he wouldn't be surprised if come round 1, we go with 1 ruck and have mcstay chop out in the ruck.
It was one thing having 2 rucks when we only had checkers up forward, but now having 2 key forwards and 2 big rucks might be too top heavy.
This would then allow either bringing in reef as a third tall -- or even having the flexiibility in able to play all of hill, Gin and McCreery.

When you think about it yesterday Cameron played the checkers role initially and we had one main ruck, with Reef as our third tall.

Last edited:
Was listening to the afl fantasy update and Riley Beverige who was at the game seems to think he wouldn't be surprised if come round 1, we go with 1 ruck and have mcstay chop out in the ruck.
It was one thing having 2 rucks when we only had checkers up forward, but now having 2 key forwards and 2 big rucks might be too top heavy.
This would then allow either bringing in reef as a third tall -- or even having the flexiibility in able to play all of hill, Gin and McCreery.

When you think about it yesterday Cameron played the checkers role initially and we had one main ruck, with Reef as our third tall.
I don’t buy that since most Premiership run with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t buy that since most Premiership run with that.
We'll see I guess. It's definitely a watch for when checkers come back, how they line up next week.

But doing it this way with give greater flexibility with a couple of kids, 1 being someone you wont be able to hold out of the side, and the other pressing his claims.

We'll see I guess. It's definitely a watch for when checkers come back, how they line up next week.

But doing it this way with give greater flexibility with a couple of kids, 1 being someone you wont be able to hold out of the side, and the other pressing his claims.
We may go in with 1 ruck I just don’t buy the top heavy argument. Unless the kids are demanding a spot I don’t see a reason to drop a ruck just to fit them in.

We may go in with 1 ruck I just don’t buy the top heavy argument. Unless the kids are demanding a spot I don’t see a reason to drop a ruck just to fit them in.
I do remember the coaches saying they were tossing up the 1 v 2 rucks situation. So they probably are experimenting atm and see what does work. Now is the time to do it.

I do remember the coaches saying they were tossing up the 1 v 2 rucks situation. So they probably are experimenting atm and see what does work. Now is the time to do it.
The Cats have lost a lot of height through injury so far this year: Hawkins, Neal, Conway and possibly Foster and J Henry. Noticed on Thursday that they selected both Ceglar and Stanley in the Match Sim against the Hawks (haven't heard anything about where they played or how well). Would be interested in knowing whether they interchanged on the forward line. Interesting too that Frampton rucked in the last quarter yesterday (I didn't see how he went, I needed to leave at 3/4 time) - if the Cats go with O Henry as the full forward in place of Hawkins then I can see us selecting both Frampton and Murphy and just one of Cox or Cameron. With Frampton doing the ruckwork in the backline and giving our ruck a chop-out.

Cox is not the lumbering one dimensional player some other ruckmen are. He has shown repeatedly that he has the capacity to turn games both in the ruck or up forward. He is a great option if things aren't working up forward or if someone goes down with an injury. He also performs well when the stakes are high and crowds huge. Not all players have that capacity. Cox in the team every week for me.

I'm coming around to this one ruck, McInnes 3rd tall set up. Think this is actually where a fit Kreuger would be a game changer - more capable than Reef at playing key position to cover Mcstay when he's chopping out in the ruck, and agile enough to be the 3rd tall as well. Just a shame he can't get on the park.

I'm coming around to this one ruck, McInnes 3rd tall set up. Think this is actually where a fit Kreuger would be a game changer - more capable than Reef at playing key position to cover Mcstay when he's chopping out in the ruck, and agile enough to be the 3rd tall as well. Just a shame he can't get on the park.
Nope. I don't want McStay jumping against big bodied ruckman. I want him presenting as a target up forward for the entire game. He has shown a real presence already. Why would you ask him to spend 40 minutes of the game trying to compete at centre bounces? He had one good game in that role and that was due to absolute necessity because of an unexpected injury. Brisbane also had two key position players as well as McStay-we don't. Krueger had zero impact in the ruck against the Swans. Ruckmen ruck. Key forwards provide a target and a contest inside fifty.

I reckon the only question marks are, which might become clear by this weekend.

Frampton v Murphy
1 v 2 rucks
If 2, then thats it.. And either Reef/Murphy (if Frampton gets a round 1 berth) for sub
If 1, then Reef serves as the third tall.
I think the opportunity to keep trying Frampton at this level before the season starts will see him play again.

It seems a few sides are going to try 3 or 4 talls in the forward line this year. We might need the likes of Frampton and Murphy both playing in defence this year. I think we will go with all 3 of Moore, Frampton and Murphy/ Dean, with Howe doing a lot more intercepting rather than playing on the big guys

It seems a few sides are going to try 3 or 4 talls in the forward line this year. We might need the likes of Frampton and Murphy both playing in defence this year. I think we will go with all 3 of Moore, Frampton and Murphy/ Dean, with Howe doing a lot more intercepting rather than playing on the big guys
Possibly but Maynard can play taller as well

The Cats have lost a lot of height through injury so far this year: Hawkins, Neal, Conway and possibly Foster and J Henry. Noticed on Thursday that they selected both Ceglar and Stanley in the Match Sim against the Hawks (haven't heard anything about where they played or how well). Would be interested in knowing whether they interchanged on the forward line. Interesting too that Frampton rucked in the last quarter yesterday (I didn't see how he went, I needed to leave at 3/4 time) - if the Cats go with O Henry as the full forward in place of Hawkins then I can see us selecting both Frampton and Murphy and just one of Cox or Cameron. With Frampton doing the ruckwork in the backline and giving our ruck a chop-out.
How did Ollie play in the match sim?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back