Movies & TV The Hangar Game of Thrones Thread **SEASON 8 SPOILERS**

Remove this Banner Ad

"I’m waiting for an old friend."

So many things happened and so quick.
cebd8e1d01df242197a8486531b85dbc.jpg

Considering it’s a six episode season, very little actually happened in episode 1.

It was a reunion show with some pretty dragon shots.
I do think it's a "Wait until we see the next 2 episodes before we assess how good it is" episode in terms of how they set it up. In isolation though, average.

it had to be done because so few pieces were actually in Winterfell, but yes it felt more like a prologue than a season premiere. on the filp-side, i guess the battle starts at the end of next episode

the only thing i truly disliked, apart from the lol dragon scene, is the Bronn scene, because A) i thought we were done with sexplanation and B) it just reeks of them being "oh s**t when we sent Jamie to be a lone wolf we left Bronn behind how can we get him up north". It's Arya vs Sansa levels bad

Considering it’s a six episode season, very little actually happened in episode 1.

It was a reunion show with some pretty dragon shots.

Well we did need a setup episode to put all the pieces in the right spots.
we also got the realization of Jon of who he actually is, which whilst massive news in the show was handled a little poorly.

its pissing me off that we get a flying dragon scene (that wasn't a battle) that must blow the budget out of the water but we cant have Ghost in more scenes.

I’m not sure what’s worse, when the show omits crucial plot points, when it tells you rather than showing you those plot points, or when it shows them to you and you see how poorly thought through this entire thing has become.

I’m just going to consider it like a highlights reel I think. Fanfic of Thrones. The real story will be in the rest of the books that may never be published.

I do think it's a "Wait until we see the next 2 episodes before we assess how good it is" episode in terms of how they set it up. In isolation though, average.

Yeah I felt the theme of the episode was kind of like “holy s**t, good to see you! We haven’t crossed paths since, like, season 2”.

Yeah I felt the theme of the episode was kind of like “holy s**t, good to see you! We haven’t crossed paths since, like, season 2”.

i kind of liked the history repeating itself scenes with Arya watching the little kid try and get a look at the arriving army/queen.

Few bits of foreshadowing were nice if they payoff is there.

I think the show has suffered by not delving into Jons heritage, what the hell is going on with Bran and the white walkers as more focuses. These strings have kind of hung around the periphery of the show with little teases etc and now we are in the final season and they are kind of relevant and big deals, they have so far landed a little flat (again i speak of the Jon realization, that yes we knew but the characters didnt)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really enjoyed it. Felt like catching up with an old friend.

Only nitpick is that I feel like it could have worked better if the dragon ride occurred after they knew about Jon's heritage.

I like Sansa’s quote re the (Edit: Purple) wedding to Tryion:

“It had its moments”

Unfortunately the experience was disjointed for me as my 9 yo had a 24 hr viral infection and was vomiting throughout the show (and the night, and today, but she’s sleeping now thank goodness).

The reunions were very satisfying, I would love to have seen the dragon flight on the big screen. Now there’s a good idea for a new roller coaster ride!

Needs more Direwolves though

Last edited:
I enjoyed this review from Natalie Bochenski, a couple of laugh out loud moments:

Girl Clumsy GOT Review Season 8 episode 1

Excerpt below:
On the other hand, I was surprised they would choose to burn the dragons’ limited calorific intake on a joy flight; and I really wasn’t expecting the first time Jon Snow rode a dragon that it would be an almost shot-for-shot remake of Neville Longbottom’s first attempt to ride a broomstick in Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone.

[IMG='width:477px;']https://media.giphy.com/media/TdFjuZMN9lpFfTVKcp/giphy.gif[/IMG]

And also: Qyburn just appears like a coldsore after using a tester lipstick. 😂

Attachments

• 0C5B07CB-2EFF-4BF8-880F-2273FC21F371.gif
    0C5B07CB-2EFF-4BF8-880F-2273FC21F371.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
This entire episode was basically "HEY, GO TO THE CRYPTS, IT'S TOTALLY SAFE, NOTHING WILL EVER ATTACK YOU THERE". Not exactly going to the subtle route with s**t rising from the dead in there and attacking the people hiding out.

If Ep 1 was a reunion ep, this was basically a goodbye, gonna be a lot of dead people soon. Pretty meh episode tho after how they used last week as a setup episode.

I don't want it to happen but I think Arya dies next week.
No way too much unfinished business for her I feel.

N.B. I started writing that sentence more confidently than I ended it, GRRM has ended some great characters along the way.
N.B (2) Though it was not GRRM that killed off Shireen (the bastards! As a reader of the books prior to the series, I was even more upset than normal viewers I think)

Last edited:
No way too much unfinished business for her I feel.

N.B. I started writing that sentence more confidently than I ended it, GRRM has ended some great characters along the way.
N.B (2) Though it was not GRRM that killed off Shireen.
What has she got left? Cersei is the last one on her list, and we all know about the prophecy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back