The 'How the hell did they survive that ?' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats just insanely scary. How badly hurt was the driver

Yeah read that. Absolutely incredible

For a sprintcar crash, it may look like a 7-8 on the severity scale. What the video doesn't clearly show however is the hard contact the top of the sprintcar chassis makes on the concrete wall. Sprintcars, if they were to have an achilles heel would be the top of the chassis above the drivers head. The driver should be thankful he had an additional "Halo" above the top of the frame, as you will see what it stopped from happening in the below video... There is a pretty visible pole imprint right behind where the driver's head would be. It should be noted that very few winged sprintcar drivers run Halo's. It was also lucky that no drivers slid into the scene either, as the high rail could've made quite a mess. I've never seen a high rail straighten out before.

Is it just me, or did it look like the marshalls to a while to notice the accident happening? It also a reminder to me to be aware when I go to races.

Yeah the cars are off on the grass and 2 of them are just standing there watching the blue & red car go off to their left and the female has her back to it

I "obtained" a doco the other day called Grand Prix - The Killer Years (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00z8v18)

Some very graphic scenes (bodies burned alive etc) and really does open up your eyes just to how dangerous the sport was, and sometimes, still is.

OneHD showed this documentary late one night during the Australian Grand Prix. I watched it again a few nights ago. It's quite a difficult doco to watch, especially as a long time fan of F1 who has read or seen footage of a lot of these great drivers. And decades after the tragedies, Jackie Stewart was still quite animated in his interview. It's pretty intense viewing, but is a wonderfully made documentary.

A lot of the footage will stick with me for a long time, but that final footage of the 1973 Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort will stay forever. That was one of the most harrowing things I've ever seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1402572129.jpg

Jesus, haven't seen that photo yet. Such a strange looking crash, going by the limited photos we have.

Scary to be able to see him in the car in the video.

not really 'how did he survive that' territory (although it obviously could have been a lot worse) but this was certainly a unique situation

guy crashes top fuel bike and ends up riding on the wheelie bars of the other bike

series of photos

https://www.facebook.com/pudgeyspictures97/media_set?set=a.844789318887284.1073741883.100000686709090&type=1

Saw that on the net this morning.It's a bit like the jockey a couple of years ago in a race in QLD [?] that fell off his horse in a race and land on another horse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back