The influence of Lewis Jetta on our club

Remove this Banner Ad

Story goes he threw a bit of a tanty whilst we were hubbing the first time around, Simpson was not impressed and unsurprisingly only played once or twice since, only when our injury list was at breaking point. Not surprised at all that he was not offered another contract, his career is not done, another team will pick him up as a DFA.
Do you reckon?

I reckon we're more likely to see him in the wafl next year if anything

I'm surprised the club didn't see the value of keeping him for one final season, but he's obviously fallen out of favour and Withers acquisition put him further back in the order. If he couldn't get a run in the back line, he may well have been able to a Nicoski-2011 and convert into a small forward, which is an area of the ground we aren't super hot in (although looking to address with Langdon).

But alas the decision has been made. Hopefully there is no ongoing rift - that would be most unfortunate.

Cheers for the memories Jetta!! An Eagles premiership player is something only a chosen few get to do.

Don't know if we'll ever know exactly what happened during the hub that caused he and the club to fall out, I've heard rumours but nothing more. It's a disappointing way to end for one of my favourite players, but happy he got to he an integral part of a premiership side at 2 clubs rare company.

Nobody in the league has a boot like Jetta. The way he used to get the crowd up over a kick from half back is a rare sight, and will be missed.

Story's and presumptions. Nothing more.

He "looks" unfit so it must be true, despite nobody from the club actually suggesting anything of the sort.

He "threw a tanty and had a falling out in the hub" despite no actual proof of this happening.

After round 4 nobody had him in their outs. I don't recall many, if any of us claiming he was bad and should be dropped. And yet he was, and it was met with surprise on this board. Several other players who SHOULD have been dropped weren't.

The team got to flat track Sydney and Adelaide over the next fortnight, then go home and play at Optus for 7 weeks while Jetta was banished.

Thanks for the memories Dardz.
#whatsthepointinpersisting

Story's and presumptions. Nothing more.

He "looks" unfit so it must be true, despite nobody from the club actually suggesting anything of the sort.

He "threw a tanty and had a falling out in the hub" despite no actual proof of this happening.

After round 4 nobody had him in their outs. I don't recall many, if any of us claiming he was bad and should be dropped. And yet he was, and it was met with surprise on this board. Several other players who SHOULD have been dropped weren't.

The team got to flat track Sydney and Adelaide over the next fortnight, then go home and play at Optus for 7 weeks while Jetta was banished.

Thanks for the memories Dardz.
#whatsthepointinpersisting

Simmo did say he had some things to work on and fitness was one of them. The longer he was kept out, the more coy Simmo became, but he definitely offered that reason up early on.

Funny thing. When Jetts first came to the club a lot of crew on here was saying we should never have traded Sinclair. "Jetts is a dud." etc. I saw many games when he had made great position in the forward line only to be completely ignored by our players. We had a certain small number of players who were the "deliveres" into the forward line and that meant go to JK even if he had 3 players on him and Jetts was metres in the clear. Things changed after a couple of seasons and he was "accepted" by the group. Personally I was shocked he was overlooked in the finals as he clearly adds more than a few, who it isn't fair to name. Something off field has obviously happened ? Was he told he was going to be delisted before the trade deadline ? If not that is really poor from the club. All the best Jetts, those bullets and general skill will be missed.

Regardless of whether some undisclosed "disagreement" happened between Jetta and Simmo in the hub, you play your best team. This isn't ammos where you try teach a player a lesson. Sure, drop him if it was something bad but to keep him out for almost all of the season where plenty of guys were in worse form and then selecting fking Brayden Ainsworth over him for an Elimination Final before delisting him without even giving him a chance to retire is ridiculous. You select the team that is most likely to win a game of football. If pick 127 has a better 2021 than what Lewis Jetta would have then I will admit that I am wrong.

Anyway this will be my last post on it as it is clear where I sit and I am too annoyed at the club for it to give it any more thought.

Regardless of whether some undisclosed "disagreement" happened between Jetta and Simmo in the hub, you play your best team. This isn't ammos where you try teach a player a lesson. Sure, drop him if it was something bad but to keep him out for almost all of the season where plenty of guys were in worse form and then selecting fking Brayden Ainsworth over him for an Elimination Final before delisting him without even giving him a chance to retire is ridiculous. You select the team that is most likely to win a game of football. If pick 127 has a better 2021 than what Lewis Jetta would have then I will admit that I am wrong.

Anyway this will be my last post on it as it is clear where I sit and I am too annoyed at the club for it to give it any more thought.

Yeah, this.

The thing I feel most bad about is that I think Simmo and the club have done Jetta dirty here. He helped us to a premiership in 2018, then 2 years later is unceremoniously dropped for unspecified reasons, replaced by a trash-tier defender in the back half of the season + a cut-throat final (who's terrible skills contributed to a tight loss on our home deck) and then cut from the list at years end. No farewell, no fanfare, just "piss off, you're surplus to requirements".

I would just about feel better if something negative did come out about Jetts, because right now we look like massive a*seholes.

Been a good servant for the Eagles, like others don’t know why he didn’t play more this year, has to be a reason though.
As far as moving forward is concerned the club surely now knows they have to play a more frantic ruthless brand with a complete buy in to be successful. Jets probably doesn’t fit that mould yo be a manic tackler, chaser. He is a finisher and while we will miss his kicking ability he has been a very loose back man.
I wish him and His family well, two flags is a great effort. Maybe some club can find a role for him. Clearly our club did not have one.

Been a good servant for the Eagles, like others don’t know why he didn’t play more this year, has to be a reason though.
As far as moving forward is concerned the club surely now knows they have to play a more frantic ruthless brand with a complete buy in to be successful. Jets probably doesn’t fit that mould yo be a manic tackler, chaser. He is a finisher and while we will miss his kicking ability he has been a very loose back man.
I wish him and His family well, two flags is a great effort. Maybe some club can find a role for him. Clearly our club did not have one.
One of the Brisbane board's main concerns with Withers was his defensive abilities, so I doubt it's that.

Averaged sixth most tackles in the side this year

Averaged more tackles per game over his career than Hurn, Sheppard, Nelson, Duggan, Petruccelle, Ainsworth...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the nest podcast drew Jones talked about a highlights video of jetta (a leaving one) that goes for 3 minutes has anyone seen it? I can't find it

He can be taught, but yes there is still huge concerns from me with the hunger and will of this playing group and our game plan.

Spot on, we cant keep playing as if is 2018.
Simmo is trying to evolve but the forward line game plan needs work. There is only one Willie & he is not out there.
We have to get games into under 23s Waterman, Rotham, Petrucelle, Brander, Ainsworth ets at the same time. Such is evolution of a playing list.

Thanks Lewy you will always be an Eagles premiership player who is well respected for your contribution on & off field.

Apart from the two strong seasons that followed that match?
By my memory mate Jetta played off the back of the square and was a man possessed smashing in to get to the fall of the ball. Never saw that roll again but miss a lot of matches. Yep I loved Jetta too and the seasons that followed but he seriously lifted himself to higher levels in that game and dragged us over the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back