The Interesting Scorecard Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If you check out his career figures, there is no ‘best match figures’ recorded for his first class career. As in ‘we have not been able to find what his best figures in a first class match across two innings are’

Seeing as Nash took one ten-wicket haul in his first class career, which was in a Test at Lord's against England in 1994, that would be his best match figures. Which source is stating Nash's best match figures are unknown?

Seeing as Nash took one ten-wicket haul in his first class career, which was in a Test at Lord's against England in 1994, that would be his best match figures. Which source is stating Nash's best match figures are unknown?

Well no, it wouldn’t be his best match figures.

Because if he took 12 wickets in a first class game but they don’t know how many runs he went for, they leave it blank, which is probably what has happened.

Those best match figures in a test came from the same match as his best innings figures in a test: 6/29.

He has a best first class innings return of 7/39.

So there’s a distinct chance that he had a better career match haul at first class level than his 11/169 - anywhere up to 14 wickets in a match.

Cricinfo is the source.

Have a look at his profile. There is no entry in his ‘BBM’ section in the first class area/

Well no, it wouldn’t be his best match figures.

Because if he took 12 wickets in a first class game but they don’t know how many runs he went for, they leave it blank, which is probably what has happened.

Those best match figures in a test came from the same match as his best innings figures in a test: 6/29.

He has a best first class innings return of 7/39.

So there’s a distinct chance that he had a better career match haul at first class level than his 11/169 - anywhere up to 14 wickets in a match.

Cricinfo is the source.

Have a look at his profile. There is no entry in his ‘BBM’ section in the first class area/

I have seen the profile of Nash on Cricinfo and understand what you mean, but with only one ten-wicket haul in a match the Lord's 1994 game has to be his best first class match figures. The BBM (Best Bowling in a Match) stat is one which has only been displayed in recent years by cricket statistic sources. If you look at Jim Laker's profile on Cricinfo his first class BBM area is also blank, but all cricket stats fans know it has to be the 19-90 from 1956. How hard would this have been for Cricinfo to work out? Bob Massie also has a blank in his BBM, but so do more modern bowlers such as Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath. I would say Cricinfo have not worked out what the first class BBMs should be for all international bowlers. In other words, is there any bowler with a first class BBM stat on Cricinfo? It would certainly be hard to work it out for every first class bowler but they could make a start by obtaining a Wisden book of Cricket Records and including some of the highest known BBM totals. The 2012 book Encyclopedia of Australian Cricket Players features this stat for every Aussie first class player. I'm not sure how the authors sourced their info, but it would be possible if you're keen and patient to trawl through heaps of games and have access to something like Cricket Archive.

book.PNG

I have seen the profile of Nash on Cricinfo and understand what you mean, but with only one ten-wicket haul in a match the Lord's 1994 game has to be his best first class match figures. The BBM (Best Bowling in a Match) stat is one which has only been displayed in recent years by cricket statistic sources. If you look at Jim Laker's profile on Cricinfo his first class BBM area is also blank, but all cricket stats fans know it has to be the 19-90 from 1956. How hard would this have been for Cricinfo to work out? Bob Massie also has a blank in his BBM, but so do more modern bowlers such as Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath. I would say Cricinfo have not worked out what the first class BBMs should be for all international bowlers. In other words, is there any bowler with a first class BBM stat on Cricinfo? It would certainly be hard to work it out for every first class bowler but they could make a start by obtaining a Wisden book of Cricket Records and including some of the highest known BBM totals. The 2012 book Encyclopedia of Australian Cricket Players features this stat for every Aussie first class player. I'm not sure how the authors sourced their info, but it would be possible if you're keen and patient to trawl through heaps of games and have access to something like Cricket Archive.

View attachment 1923043

Well for example I just went and checked Jasprit Bumrah (I clicked on his profile directly from the scorecard of the current game) and his best match figures in tests are also his best first class match figures and they appeared there. Just seems a very strange anomaly that when I looked at Nash’s profile that stood out

I have noticed that with cricinfo, they start to drop off in scorecards around 2002-03 in domestic cricket, meaning that they do not have all games and full detailed scorecards in seasons prior to about this season. I'm assuming it's ball-by-ball data that they are missing. And you'll notice that FC and LA Debut games will be listed as seasons and not the game itself for these players

The Dion Nash thing is weird because he only has 1 10 wicket match so it should be pretty obvious what his best first class match figures are... Given it's just above in the test line.

No idea why an English county team is in the Zimbabwe T20 comp, but that’s a smashing!

That is something of a hammering isn’t it.

I know that in seasons gone by some of the English teams like Hampshire and Kent have had sides competing in the West Indies domestic one day comp: maybe they do it as a version of their own pre-season or something

From 6-77 to 9-675 declared....
your scorecard linked to this article, which was also interesting (in case the other games hadn't been mentioned)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

your scorecard linked to this article, which was also interesting (in case the other games hadn't been mentioned)

I must admit I don't remember that match...but thanks for posting. Amazing knock by Maxwell..

having a look through the 89 ashes tour, played a one dayer against the league cricket conferences. deano had a field day

having a look through the 89 ashes tour, played a one dayer against the league cricket conferences. deano had a field day

Decent bowling line-up, too.

Ezra Moseley played for the West Indies in 1990
Maninder Singh was playing for India at that point
Simon O'Donnell
Brian McMillan from South Africa

And right on cue, here he is talking about it!

Was a great batsman with an excellent first class record.

Apparently didn't play as many tests for NZ ('only' played 41) as he could have becuase he fell out with the Administrators:-

Those who criticise Turner for his withdrawal from international cricket would do well to remember that in 1976, when he led New Zealand to Pakistan and India, he was paid less than any other member of the side. Each member of the squad, all of whom were amateurs except Turner received a tour allowance, and all the amateurs were also paid at least something by their employers. As a professional cricketer there was no commercial organisation there to make up the shortfall for Turner. This ridiculous situation arose due to the reactionary thinking of the Board of Control, and completely overlooked that Turner was captain, and therefore had additional responsibilities, and that he was by some distance the dominant player in the squad. Most importantly of all no regard was had to the fact that he was the only one of the side who relied solely upon cricket for his living. It should therefore be of little surprise that with his benefit year looming at Worcestershire in 1978 he decided to concentrate on earning that living and from then until 1982/83 he made himself available only for the 1979 World Cup. On his all too brief return to international cricket there were only two more Test matches, both against Sri Lanka and in neither of those did Turner make a significant contribution, but there were also a number of ODIs in which he performed very well and which gave him the opportunity to demonstrate to the New Zealand administrators and supporters just what they had missed in his absence. As with a number of professional sportsmen he did, ultimately, go on a little too long, his appearance at the 1983 World Cup being far removed from the standards that he had set himself and that tournament brought down the curtain on his international career..

Didn't play a test for NZ between 1977 - 1983.

I didn't know where else to write this but the Victorian Premier cricket final had it's first reverse outright in 70 odd years.

Carlton needed 250 odd in 35 overs and chased it fairly convincingly 3 down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back