The Jack Macrae Thread

700+ disposals in a home and away season has happened 10 times prior to 2019 and in each case the player was either an All Australian, Best & Fairest, Brownlow Medalist or MVP. Treloar finished with 739 and Macrae is on 700 with a game to play. Surely Jacko gets an AA nod.

PlayerTM#GMAve.YearAwards
Wayne RichardsonCOLL7482234.001971B&F
Chris McDermottADEL7202232.731992AA/B&F
Dane SwanCOLL7002231.822009AA/B&F
Dane SwanCOLL7012231.862010AA/B&F/MVP
Matthew BoydWB7012231.862011AA/B&F
Matthew BoydWB7212232.772012B&F
Lachie NealeFREO7372233.502016B&F
Tom MitchellHAW7872235.772017AA/B&F
Matt CrouchADEL7262233.002017AA/B&F
Tom MitchellHAW7862235.732018AA/Brownlow/B&F/MVP
Adam TreloarCOLL7392233.592019
Jack MacraeWB700*21*33.33*2019
All but 2 of them since 2009. I wonder why.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well Jack fell just three disposals short of being the number one ball winner in 2019 finishing with 736 in the home and away season.

But he certainly has smashed the all-time Bulldogs record of most disposals in a season (M. Boyd - 722 - 2009) and still has at least one more game.

Gotta feel for Jack Macrae. It won't happen but I hope somehow he wins the CSM this year.

He played 3 games in his first year (2013). Alas for him that was the year we drafted the Bont.
In 2014 he astonished everybody by finishing runner-up to Tom Liberatore in the CSM but what was more impressive was his attitude. He said he wasn't happy with second and he intended to win it.
In 2015 he finished 8th in a bunch behind the winner Easton Wood (AA).
In 2016 he tied for 7th behind the Bont but at least he won himself a premiership medallion.
In 2017 he was back on the podium with a third place behind Bont and JJ.
In 2018 he should have won it, finishing 1 vote behind Lachie Hunter who had the benefit of playing an extra game.
In 2019 he's had a tremendous year but looks like playing second fiddle again to the Bont who is cleaning up most of the AFL awards.

He's the Happy Clapper - forever running an honest second to Bont's brilliant Winx.

What's impressive is that he is both ambitious and determined, with a great work ethic. If he misses out he doesn't whinge. He just puts his head down and tries harder.

There's nobody I want more to win a CSM than this bloke.

Last edited:
He's the Happy Clapper - forever running an honest second to Bont's brilliant Winx.

No no no - He is the Hay List running second to Black Caviar

HC has won a couple of G1 races.

Note: Black Caviar was perfect. Winx lost some races.

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’s a huge advantage for us to have a single player that can win his own ball at a high volume both in the contest and outside. He’s the only player in the AFL in the top 10 for winning both contested (8th) and uncontested (2nd) possessions (Treloar is 11th and 6th).

The improvement in both his decision making and disposal by foot over the years has been tremendous. He’s limited the number of around the corner scrubbers he used to produce regularly years ago. The only room for improvement is to become a player that kicks a goal every other game, but I’m not sure that’s even a focus for him, given the role he’s playing exceedingly well.

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gotta feel for Jack Macrae. It won't happen but I hope somehow he wins the CSM this year.

He played 3 games in his first year (2013). Alas for him that was the year we drafted the Bont.
In 2014 he astonished everybody by finishing runner-up to Tom Liberatore in the CSM but what was more impressive was his attitude. He said he wasn't happy with second and he intended to win it.
In 2016 he tied for 7th behind the Bont but at least he won himself a premiership medallion.
In 2018 he should have won it, finishing 1 vote behind Lachie Hunter who had the benefit of playing an extra game.
In 2019 he's had a tremendous year but looks like playing second fiddle again to the Bont who is cleaning up most of the AFL awards.

What's impressive is that he is both ambitious and determined, with a great work ethic. If he misses out he doesn't whinge. He just puts his head down and tries harder.

Poor old Happy Clapper. He ran in the first group 1 of the season last Saturday, coincidentally and rather ironically named after his old nemesis Winx...The Winx Stakes.

Proving that old habits really are hard to break....he ran 2nd.

Endless

Senior List
Jul 21, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I think Jack will probably end up with several
Like Ben Simmons and his jump shot, Jack needs to have more shots on goal.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think he will win it before he retires and congratulations on another great year and due recognition with the GD medal. But there are two facets of his game that stop him attracting more votes. One is that he has no overhead or contested marking game. The second is he doesn't kick many goals as a mid. This is not going to change but his hard inside distributor and high accumulator outside game will get him over the line at some stage.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Bont captain next year, maybe Dunks v.c. Woody will be in the leadership group imo. If there's one thing the GWS game taught us it's that we need some stronger onfield leadership. JJ and Lachie are a bit too passive for my liking. It's the likes of Smith and West who showed they won't stand for any oppo crap, also Naughton. There's got to be more of it.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jack deserves more comments on his thread! He’s so consistent I think we have all come to take his output for granted. I love how hungry he is to maintain his high standards. Super player and a great lad too. Sign him up for life.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jack deserves more comments on his thread! He’s so consistent I think we have all come to take his output for granted. I love how hungry he is to maintain his high standards. Super player and a great lad too. Sign him up for life.

Yep totally agree, he was the only one in the EF to give 100% to the very end. A lot of the AFL world including some Bulldogs fans just see the 35+ every week and think he's just a ball getter if they were to dig a little deeper into his stats they would see just how damaging of a player he is. Plus there are the things that stats don't show like how he added "untaggable" to his CV this year and has started to become more of a mentor to our younger players in the last two years.

A lot of people also don't realise that he's only 25 and yet he's the second most experienced Bulldogs player on our list behind Wood (Suckling has more but split with Hawthorn).

Contracted until the end of 2022 but would love to see that topped up this year. That's another thing I love about Jack is that he doesn't hold the club to ransom he's signed every contract years in advance whereas many other players in his position would wait until the 11th hour.

Bulldogsnm1

All Australian
Aug 23, 2006
Altona
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
GWS
He is a gun, pure and simple. Has been since he came into the team and continues to improve. Impossible to tag and makes the Bont and Dunks better players.
Also equally can play as an inside extractor or on the outside distributing.

I agree with another poster, he does need to kick more goals, there was at least dozen occasions during the year where he was in position to score and he chose to give off, in most of those situations we didn’t kick the goal. The only area where he needs to improve, being prepared to have the shot himself.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A big tip of the hat to Macrae with Jacko set to play game 150 next Wednesday. Still just 25 years old and fingers crossed will be a one club 300 game player.

To be honest I can't seem him leaving anytime soon, no matter what he will go down as kicking one of the most important goals in the history of the club and you can't ask for more than that and he has delivered plenty more.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jacko is 1/3 for milestone games, so hopefully we can improve that for him on Wednesday.

Game 1: Loss (2013 R4 vs. Adelaide)
Game 50: Win (2015 R19 vs. Port Adelaide)
Game 100: Loss (2018 R1 vs. GWS)
Game 150: R9 vs. Richmond

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Couldn't get the win for Jacko's 150th but he personally couldn't have done much more with 37 disposals is most by any player in 2020. I dare say we would've lost by 100 points if it wasn't for him and almost certainly would've lost last week against the Suns.

I do feel a bit sorry for Jacko as he's not had much luck with his milestone games, three out of the four have big BIG losses and three of those being out of Victoria.

Game 1: R4, 2013 - Lost by 52 points against Adelaide
Game 50: R15, 2015 - Won by 64 points against Port Adelaide (3 Brownlow votes)
Game 100: R1, 2018 - Lost by 82 points against GWS
Game 150: R9, 2020 - Lost by 41 points against Richmond

Hopefully, we can do a little better for his 200, 250 and hopefully 300.

Congratulations on 150 and I hope he can get that B&F this year that he was robbed of in 2018.

Back