The Jazz bf thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a dabbler. My top 5 Jazz records are:

William Parker Quartet - O'Neal's Porch
David S. Ware Quartet - Wisdom of Uncertainty (this one can get pretty chaotic as the title implies - a mellower introduction to this saxophonist might be "Balladware")
Sonny Simmons - Staying On The Watch
Sun Ra and his Intergalactic Myth Science Solar Arkestra - Sleeping Beauty
Andrew Hill - Passing Ships

Last edited:
My parents had a big collection of Fats Waller records. I used to stack them on the old HMV and listen to them one after the other. I think that this is what got my interest in music started.

I’ve always been a very casual jazz fan, but I heard Charles Mingus’ The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady recently and it was probably the best Jazz LP I have heard.

Can anyone recommend some similar artists and LP’s?

I loved how many instruments were used, but not in an offhand way. There was great use of space and atmosphere and perfect transitions between the soloing instruments.

I’ve heard a bit of Coltrane and Miles Davis, but I guess their music is generally more lead by the artists themselves. I’m looking for jazz that’s more pieced together. Bitches Brew would be another decent reference point.

Just read of the passing of the trumpeter Eddie Gale who recorded a couple of great albums for blue note records in the late 60's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve always been a very casual jazz fan, but I heard Charles Mingus’ The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady recently and it was probably the best Jazz LP I have heard.

I loved how many instruments were used, but not in an offhand way. There was great use of space and atmosphere and perfect transitions between the soloing instruments.

I’ve heard a bit of Coltrane and Miles Davis, but I guess their music is generally more lead by the artists themselves. I’m looking for jazz that’s more pieced together. Bitches Brew would be another decent reference point.
Some Alice Coltrane maybe? Bit more experimental but in that atmospheric kind of way.

I hadn't listened to this album for nearly 50 years. I bought it after hearing some other Charles Mingus songs on "Music To Midnight". This was an album I only listened to a couple of times but it was too dissonant for me to get into. After seeing your post and getting out the record (which looks brand new) I put it on for the first time in nearly 50 years. Unfortunately it had the same effect on me. Some parts I really enjoyed but for the most part I didn't enjoy it. Nevertheless my son really liked it.
Anyway, there are a couple of albums I can recommend with great space and atmosphere. I have linked in a track from both albums.
First the Modern Jazz Quartet's album "Space".

The second album is "Heavy Weather" by Weather Report which may be what you will enjoy.

I hadn't listened to this album for nearly 50 years. I bought it after hearing some other Charles Mingus songs on "Music To Midnight". This was an album I only listened to a couple of times but it was too dissonant for me to get into. After seeing your post and getting out the record (which looks brand new) I put it on for the first time in nearly 50 years. Unfortunately it had the same effect on me. Some parts I really enjoyed but for the most part I didn't enjoy it. Nevertheless my son really liked it.
Anyway, there are a couple of albums I can recommend with great space and atmosphere. I have linked in a track from both albums.
First the Modern Jazz Quartet's album "Space".

The second album is "Heavy Weather" by Weather Report which may be what you will enjoy.

Appreciate the response and recommendations. I have heard of Weather Report, but they (him/her?) are another I’ll have to have a listen to at some point.

From my brief foray into jazz I’ve been most interested in either albums or songs with reasonably stark transitions, allowing different instruments to shine or at least add some texture for a portion of time.

I’m a reasonably big post-rock fan, and it might be a bit of a stretch but I find Mingus’ constant revolution within the space of an album similar to something Godspeed You! Black Emperor do to great effect.

I heard Duke Ellington’s The Far East Suite the other day, and really enjoyed that too. A Love Supreme and The Black Sinner Lady, although obvious choices, have been the best jazz LP’s I have heard so far.

Appreciate the response and recommendations. I have heard of Weather Report, but they (him/her?) are another I’ll have to have a listen to at some point.

From my brief foray into jazz I’ve been most interested in either albums or songs with reasonably stark transitions, allowing different instruments to shine or at least add some texture for a portion of time.

I’m a reasonably big post-rock fan, and it might be a bit of a stretch but I find Mingus’ constant revolution within the space of an album similar to something Godspeed You! Black Emperor do to great effect.

I heard Duke Ellington’s The Far East Suite the other day, and really enjoyed that too. A Love Supreme and The Black Sinner Lady, although obvious choices, have been the best jazz LP’s I have heard so far.
I can recommend Weather Report. All the musicians on their albums are top shelf. Jaco Pastorious playing fretless bass has rightly been described as the best bass player of all time. Heavy Weather and Blackmarket are the standouts in my opinion.

If you are looking for stark transitions then the 3rd Ear Band will surprise you. Not jazz, but simply amazing. This is one track of their soundtrack to Roman Polanski's film "Macbeth".

Good luck in your music journey, I've found that the more mature your music listening tastes become, the more you start to appreciate the playing skills and arrangements of jazz musicians.

PS. Two of the other band members of Weather Report, Wayne Shorter and Joe Zawinul were session musicians on "Bitches Brew".

Stanley Clarke's first album is fantastic.
Stan is on bass, Tony Williams on drums,
Jan Hammer on keyboards & the great Bill
Connors on guitar. First track is 'Vulcan Worlds'.

Cab Calloway, before he became famous again in the "Blues Brothers", along with the Nicholas Brothers (ouch).

Easily my favourite song of all time.

I'm sure most of you know of Moondog but if you haven't, check him out or read his story. Bloody cool bloke. This Brief history video is only 3 minutes long.

I'm absolutely in love with Yazz Ahmed's latest album. Just magical.

I've also been spinning Sons of Kemet quite regularly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back