TV/Film The Last of Us - HBO TV Show

TV shows and films that were games but are also TV shows or films now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Being a video game board we've often booted TV or film adaptations to the TV and entertainment boards. But this show is probably a little of a bigger deal so we thought about trialling it here instead of allowing other inappropriate threads to be littered with posts about it (still waiting for that TV prefix too Chief 😛). Games are getting more adaptations so maybe it's something worthwhile doing more of in the future.

I was going to suggest using spoiler tags for the first few days of an episode airing but seeing as most people here have played the game it probably doesn't matter. Sure there are differences from the game but if you don't want to be spoiled then don't click on this thread unless you're up to date.

However no content from any episode that hasn't yet aired can be shared at all (full seasons are out there as reviewers have already seen them).

I wasn't sure about Ellie's TV personality at first but after a few scenes it grew on me. It's probably more how I'd imagine somebody her age growing up in such a world than how Ellie first was in TLOU1.

My only gripe was how padded the intro felt prior to fast forwarding to 2023. I know they wanted to develop the story a bit more and the events leading to the same point in the game may have been a little rushed, but knowing where we were going to end up I just felt like it meandered a little too much.

I can't wait for next week now for the events outside of the QZ to happen.

I wasn't sure about Ellie's TV personality at first but after a few scenes it grew on me. It's probably more how I'd imagine somebody her age growing up in such a world than how Ellie first was in TLOU1.

My only gripe was how padded the intro felt prior to fast forwarding to 2023. I know they wanted to develop the story a bit more and the events leading to the same point in the game may have been a little rushed, but knowing where we were going to end up I just felt like it meandered a little too much.

I didn't mind it, probably stretched on a bit too much and had a pointless school segment but overall it did a good job of setting up the characters. I liked the change to Tommy being sent lock up after getting into a bar fight after working 12 hours, set up the relationship of Joel being the protector and what would later come to ripping them apart.

Felt like the intro before the outbreak was to set up just show the importance of the watch, by fixing the broken watch instead of buying the watch it was highlighting the importance of the broken watch and made it easier for viewers to pick up on the subtle line " You line is broken" ect, even though to me that pacing made it awkward.

Last edited:

I thought it was great, they nailed the early parts of the outbreak including what happened with Sarah and Joel.

I can’t remember the last time I watched an episodic TV show, kinda weird haha.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I thought it was friggin' awesome. They way they added to the opening sequence was amazing, and the beats they hit from the game were chef's kiss. You can just tell that the production values are through the roof and I can't wait to see more.

Unlike most I was always really down with Bella playing Ellie, and I reckon that by the end we'll have trouble disassociating her from the role. Jeez she's good. As is Pedro, but would it have killed him not to have worn a mo for once? :D

Anyway, s**t hot start.

Best bit though, by far? Tommy's voice. Just so fricken great

I thought it was a brilliant adaptation, staying true to the game while adding on to it. From the opening scene with the two doctors/scientist whatever they where from an old 60's TV talk show explaining pandemics and the Cordyceps fungus while the host and the audience are sh!tting themselves was done well in setting up the series. The early parts with Sarah with all the tension about whats about to go down happening behind her was done very well (e.g while she's at the repair shop and over at the neighbours house with the granny) and made her death scene even more heartbreaking. My only nitpicking is the change of date of the outbreak. I know its trivial in the whole scheme of things but those littles things kinda grind me. overall can't wait for the next episode.

Last edited:
Very good first episode. Most importantly, it captures the vibes of the game’s scenes, environments and interactions.

Sure, Bella Ramsay doesn’t look like videogame Ellie, and it would be even better if she did, but she will definitely capture everything else that makes her the girl we met in 2013. It won’t stop it from being a great show.

It's actually surreal to see a series like this. Nothing on the video game to media transfer has ever been as faithful as this product will inevitably be.

Obviously there's departures here and there, but this is sticking to the source so hard, but it absolutely can because the game is just about gaming story perfection as is.

I think this actually properly shows how you do video game to movie/TV adaptions. Screw trying to use bits and pieces, if the source is good enough, just go whole hog. To be honest, it's what annoys me about the news of the God of War Amazon Prime adaption, just being the new two games rather than utilising the entire back catalogue. The reason the two new games were so good, is what brought Kratos (especially) to the stage that he is at. Also they could make about 10 seasons by default using all the God of War games.

As for the show itself, incredibly well done. I'm baffled at peoples opinions on the looks of certain characters, nobody actually "looks" exactly like the character they're playing, but damned if everyone of them so far isn't playing the role to perfection (minus Marlene, who has cheated by being in both game and show!). The Sarah moment hit just as hard as the game too.

I must say, one thing I'm somewhat jealous of, is people who are coming in fresh. Myself knowing all the beats this will hit (albeit ep 3 will be completely new to everyone, which is amazing) means that nothing is truly surprising. I would love to be able to see this from the perspective of those that have no idea of the games and where it really sits not even looking at it as an adaption and just a piece of media.

Can't wait for ep 2.

Last edited:
As for the show itself, incredibly well done. I'm baffled at peoples opinions on the looks of certain characters, nobody actually "looks" exactly like the character they're playing, but damned if everyone of them so far isn't playing the role to perfection (minus Marlene, who has cheated by being in both game and show!). The Sarah moment hit just as hard as the game too.
I'm little stunned how crazy similar the characters sound specially Tommy.

It's actually surreal to see a series like this. Nothing on the video game to media transfer has ever been as faithful as this product will inevitably be.

Obviously there's departures here and there, but this is sticking to the source so hard, but it absolutely can because the game is just about gaming story perfection as is.

I think this actually properly shows how you do video game to movie/TV adaptions. Screw trying to use bits and pieces, if the source is good enough, just go whole hog. To be honest, it's what annoys me about the news of the God of War Amazon Prime adaption, just being the new two games rather than utilising the entire back catalogue. The reason the two new games were so good, is what brought Kratos (especially) to the stage that he is at. Also they could make about 10 seasons by default using all the God of War games.

I must say, one thing I'm somewhat jealous of, is people who are coming in fresh. Myself knowing all the beats this will hit (albeit ep 3 will be completely new to everyone, which is amazing) means that nothing is truly surprising. I would love to be able to see this from the perspective of those that have no idea of the games and where it really sits not even looking at it as an adaption and just a piece of media.

Can't wait for ep 2.

My wife is one of these seeing it all for the first time. She had zero interest in wanting to watch it as she is sick of zombie stuff (even though it's not but close enough) and has sat through enough adaptations with me that she assumed it would be something else pretty average. She got into it by about the half hour mark and is now keen for next week.

I just have to learn to shut my gob because I was like many here would be and amazed how close certain scenes replicated the game and there were a few instances where I said that something was about to happen lol. I never spoiled anything to her but she always knew when something dramatic was coming so I'll have to react less next week and let her experience the ups and downs on her own.

Yeah, undestandable that they needed to build things a bit for people who have never played the game (and there's plenty of them watching by all accounts).

I thought they built the sense of forebooding really well actually with stuff that wasn't in the game - the kid in Sarah's class twitching a bit, the old lady behind her when she was looking at the DVDs.

I thought it was a brilliant adaptation, staying true to the game while adding on to it. From the opening scene with the two doctors/scientist whatever they where from an old 60's TV talk show explaining pandemics and the Cordyceps fungus while the host and the audience are sh!tting themselves was done well in setting up the series. The early parts with Sarah with all the tension about whats about to go down happening behind her was done very well (e.g while she's at the repair shop and over at the neighbours house with the granny) and made her death scene even more heartbreaking. My only nitpicking is the change of date of the outbreak. I know its trivial in the whole scheme of things but those littles things kinda grind me. overall can't wait for the next episode.
My only issue with the timeline change is it makes Joel 56, that's a bit whack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good first episode. Most importantly, it captures the vibes of the game’s scenes, environments and interactions.

Sure, Bella Ramsay doesn’t look like videogame Ellie, and it would be even better if she did, but she will definitely capture everything else that makes her the girl we met in 2013. It won’t stop it from being a great show.
Yeah, still having a bit of trouble adjusting to how different her look is game vs show.

But at the end of the day you don't want someone who looks like her but doesn't really nail the role, much better to have someone who may not look particularly like her but gets the character down pat, and Ramsey seems like she's definitely doing that just from the sample size of 1 ep.

Last edited:
My wife is one of these seeing it all for the first time. She had zero interest in wanting to watch it as she is sick of zombie stuff (even though it's not but close enough) and has sat through enough adaptations with me that she assumed it would be something else pretty average. She got into it by about the half hour mark and is now keen for next week.

I just have to learn to shut my gob because I was like many here would be and amazed how close certain scenes replicated the game and there were a few instances where I said that something was about to happen lol. I never spoiled anything to her but she always knew when something dramatic was coming so I'll have to react less next week and let her experience the ups and downs on her own.
Ha, same. The wifey knows some of the general beats coz I've raved so much about the games but never watched me play them for any extended period, she was right into it and was asking me about stuff, the setup with the Fireflies vs Fedra etc.

So awesome that the response has been so positive even from people unfamiliar with the game.

It was a rare combination of knowing exactly what’s going to happen but still greatly anticipating seeing it.

Small gripe with Bella Ramsay looking very dissimilar to Ellie (Pedro Pascal looks like a Joel doppelgänger), but otherwise thought it was exceptional.

I think for the people who haven’t played the game it’ll be easier for them to get use to the characters and their looks.

I’m the same in that because I’ve played the game, it’s imprinted in my head how Joel & Ellie look, so it’ll take some time to fully come around, I do agree Pascal does look similar to video game joel, but Bella Ramsay doesn’t, though her portrayal of Ellie in ep.1 was fantastic.

One huge thing they seem to have got pretty spot on is the voices, Pascal sounds like Joel and Gabriel is spot on with Tommy.

The show is what happens when something isn't a money grab, and people behind the game are working in tandem with the producers. Hopefully this is the blueprint forward for game adaptations.

Echo everything thats been said here, but will add they had me with the title intro music kicking in.

Story from the games is so good it deserves to be told outside the gaming medium. Is probably the one tailor made for TV too.

I personally find the games story and narrative vastly overrated. Not bad, but nothing groundbreaking. Loved episode one though and looking forward to the rest.

I personally find the games story and narrative vastly overrated. Not bad, but nothing groundbreaking. Loved episode one though and looking forward to the rest.

The story is great, not ground breaking by any means but it was the execution that was perfect.

I don't like that in the show they've already got Joel having flash backs to Sarah getting shot. He was a guarded and hardened man by then and only over the duration of building their relationship did the paternal connection rekindle in him in. Ellie was cargo for the first half of the story and they are already making him soft for her.

Last edited:
The best stories have been told a thousand times but it's the execution of characters and the world around them that made the story and game so adored, characters are the true heart of any great story.

The best stories have been told a thousand times but it's the execution of characters and the world around them that made the story and game so adored, characters are the true heart of any great story.

To that end, I didn't personally find the gameplay enriched the narrative and in fact often felt a bit incongruous and immersion breaking with the volume of enemies you'd be taking out 😅

I guess what I'm trying to say is I wasn't all that excited by the premise of a HBO turn in the universe, which is why I'm all the more impressed with episode 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back