PS4 The Last of Us Part II - PS5 Remaster coming Jan 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe we are misunderstanding each other.

I thought when he was thrown in the water, he was done.

After he is thrown in the water we know he meets up with Ellie because we see him during the end of Ellie's playthrough.
Or are you just saying you thought he was done in the moment, like how does he survive that?

Last edited:
Ok, just finished, took me around 30 hours, holy hell what a ride of emotions and what a freaking game!!

I'll be honest, I was sceptical playing this after the first game being a complete masterpiece, ending perfectly and the fact that I saw the spoilers for what happened in this game (Joel's death by a golf-club to an apparently Transgender, which she isn't), but reading that just made me extremely angry. This game proved me so wrong, as bad as it sounds and how hard it was to see one of the best video game characters ever in Joel just cop a brutal death to a bunch of nobodies it was a ballsy move by Naughty Dog that paid off and had to happen, set up an incredible story-line, and imo was like a passing of the batten to get us fans/players to take a liking to new people.

Loved playing as Ellie for the first half of the game, some truly magnificent areas to explore, the interaction with the people of Jackson, Dina, Jesse, Tommy etc was awesome, and as others have said, when Jesse died and Abby was pointing the gun at Ellie and then it stopped, and all of a sudden we are back to Seattle Day 1, I was thinking "oh man, why the hell, I don't care about Abby". Turns out, I loved playing as Abby, and she quickly grew on me as did the WLF and her friends, then came along the scar kids and they grew on me and all of a sudden I found myself engrossed with Abby's story that I started not to care about Allie and why she wanted Abby dead. You really come to learn that Abby had friends, a place to stay, a dad, this was her story, and I loved it.

Then when it came to playing as Ellie again. Firstly, at the farm, when you are carrying the baby around and the house is full of life and happiness, the location of that farm and the scenery was unreal, I literally looked out into that open terrain and lost myself staring at it. The Santa Barbara part was well done, liked to change of scenery and location, but boy Ellie needed a feed, she was looking quite ill and fragile, makes sense though that even though she was living with Dina and everything 'appeared' to be ok, she was battling, wasn't eating, couldn't sleep, she didn't want to walk away but felt she just had to kill Abby, to help ease the pain. As I thought how sick Ellie looked, Abby looked a lot worse, hardly recognised her, she was a broken mess, and the fight at the beach was tough, because I didn't want Ellie to kill her, she had taken her punishment, and I had come around with her after experiencing her story, so was happy with that ending.

Was sad to see Ellie return to the farm and nothing was there, all empty apart from (her room?) upstairs, bit of a lone wolf none I think as I don't reckon she'll go back to Jackson. All in all, brilliant game, I still have the first game in-front of this but ND have knocked this out of the park, them and Rockstar are the benchmark, I still have RDR2 edging in-front of this game for me.

After he is thrown in the water we know he meets up with Ellie because we see him during the end of Ellie's playthrough.
Or are you just saying you thought he was done in the moment, like how does he survive that?
OK I think you're confused lol.

I thought when Abby threw him off the boat, he died IE drowned and that was the last time we would see him in the game.

I was surprised to see him after that, because obviously I was wrong in thinking he died.

I’ve just gotten to
The Seraphites Island with Yara searching for Lev
How much longer do I have to go? Don’t really want this game to end haha, been brilliant all the way through.

You did. In 1 you have to kill pops when you enter the room, it's unavoidable. You can leave the other two in there untouched, though. I seem to have seen a bunch of people misremembering that.

well damn. Must’ve misremembered for sure, because I definitely remember leaving that room thinking I’d made the right “moral” choice in the context, and repressed the memory of being forced to kill the surgeon lol

Wasn't justified. Abby's dad wanted to kill Joel's daughter without his or her consent. It likely would have been for nothing, too. He wouldn't let Joel save her without violence either, picking up a scalpel to stop him. She didn't even have 2nd thoughts after he saved her life. True psycho.

Just on the bolded, I always thought that too - that it was a chance to create a vaccine, not guaranteed. But Neil Druckman has stated that it was sure thing, they 100% knew it would work.

Not sure how I feel about that, seems a bit convenient story-wise. Never mind the realities of exactly how much impact it would have on the world at that point ie. I'm thinking not much - yeah you could save people who had been bitten if you could get them the vaccine within a few hours, but if I'm understanding correctly it wouldn't 'revert' runners or clickers to their previous human selves.

Don't reckon it would have made much overall impact at all really.

Last edited:
Just on the bolded, I always thought that too - that it was a chance to create a vaccine, not guaranteed. But Neil Druckman has stated that it was sure thing, they 100% knew it would work.

Not sure how I feel about that, seems a bit convenient story-wise. Never mind the realities of exactly how much impact it would have on the world at that point ie. I'm thinking not much - yeah you could save people who had been bitten if you could get them the vaccine within a few hours, but if I'm understanding correctly it wouldn't 'revert' runners or clickers to their previous human selves.

Don't reckon it would have made much overall impact at all really.
You'd think there would be a ton of logistic problems if a vaccine was reached in that world. It def would be one thing to have but then you would have distribution problems, problems with trying to create enough and then you're dealing with a world where I'd imagine there would be a significant amount of people not even interested in a vaccine being widely distributed with all the power grabs certain people would have made and groups that have formed that would have zero interest in the world returning back to the state it was.

I'm also with you in thining, despite any retconning Neil and co have been doing that there's too much info from the tapes in hospital from that conflict with the idea that is was a 100% sure thing to create a vaccine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could see saying vaccine does nothing considering humanity is splintered and lost and most people die fighting each rather than the infected, and when they do fight the infected they get torn to shreds anyone most of the time. But a vaccine is great in stopping new infections, and what happened to Sam and Riley never has to happen to anyone again, theoretically.

It is convenient but it is a series built on emotion and themes, not logistics. To nitpick it is irrelevant with what it's trying to serve story-wise.

I could see saying vaccine does nothing considering humanity is splintered and lost and most people die fighting each rather than the infected, and when they do fight the infected they get torn to shreds anyone most of the time. But a vaccine is great in stopping new infections, and what happened to Sam and Riley never has to happen to anyone again, theoretically.

It is convenient but it is a series built on emotion and themes, not logistics. To nitpick it is irrelevant with what it's trying to serve story-wise.
I find it more unbelievable that a zombie can survive for years locked away without any brains.

Been clicking around the interwebz now that I've finished the game.. oh boy, there are some very maladjusted people out there. You'd think Druckmann personally murdered their firstborn reading some of that s**t :drunk:

But there has been a bit of good to go with the bad.

Dunno who has the time to get this good on a controller based guitar simulator but fair play to em, pretty awesome;

Not sure Tommy is 'fine', dude had one eye and can't even walk properly.

Thats why he asked Ellie to go - not because the plot demanded it, but because he couldn't any more. Yeah he went alone initially so that Ellie wouldn't have to, but just leaving Abby alive was never an option for him. Once his condition meant he couldn't go after her, Ellie is pretty much the only option.

Shitty of him to pressure her to do it, sure. But there's no inconsistency with the character there.

I pretty much disagree, how does a guy that got shot in the back of the head make it out, one eyed or not. How the hell did he survive that. s**t just happened like magic, which is the problem with this story most times, a lot of things are more forced and contrived than a crazy anime

I think it is inconsistent, he has been the biggest bro over the course of both games. He was constantly protective of Ellie throughout the 2nd game, then suddenly he did a 180 and asks her to do something he wasn't willing to make her do at the start of the game.

Last edited:
Interesting to hear that this game originally, very early on was going to be open world, and work in hub areas. Neil said that original story was going to be you start playing as Abby in her village, who get attacked, then rescued by Joel and Tommy, who take her in. You then complete a number of missions in Jackson as Abby until she reveals her true self and kills Joel, thus having the player take control of Ellie and head to Seattle to hunt down Abby.

Open world would’ve been disastrous for this game.

I pretty much disagree, how does a guy that got shot in the back of the head make it out, one eyed or not. How the hell did he survive that. sh*t just happened like magic, which is the problem with this story most times, a lot of things are more forced and contrived than a crazy anime

I think it is inconsistent, he has been the biggest bro over the course of both games. He was constantly protective of Ellie throughout the 2nd game, then suddenly he did a 180 and asks her to do something he wasn't willing to make her do at the start of the game.
You know animal in the wild recover from gun shot wounds right? Btw it grazed the orbital lobe, that's more than just a little survivalable.

Tommy lost his wife, brother(best friend) and is now disabled, left to wollow for months if you don't understand how that can warp your perception you understand little about the human psychological state, it is nonsensical, it isnt rational but it's human.

I pretty much disagree, how does a guy that got shot in the back of the head make it out, one eyed or not. How the hell did he survive that. sh*t just happened like magic, which is the problem with this story most times, a lot of things are more forced and contrived than a crazy anime

I mean, yeah, its a bit of a stretch Tommy surviving based in how they showed him getting shot, but is it any more of a stretch than Joel surviving falling a few stories, getting impaled then being up and back to normal a month later in the first game? I'd suggest not.

As mentioned, it wasn't that he's not willing to go after Abby, he physically can't, this point is literally included in the dialogue. And I think its safe to say he wasn't in a great headspace, as evidenced by him breaking up with Maria, which goes some way to explaining his unreasonable ask of Ellie.

Saw someone say they could have just had Maria tell Ellie about the Abby lead, allowing them to keep Tommy dead. That would make even less sense imo - she never wanted Tommy to go in the first place and told Ellie to bring him back safe. If he died, I doubt she'd want anything at all further to do with Ellie and the reason Tommy died.

You know animal in the wild recover from gun shot wounds right? Btw it grazed the orbital lobe, that's more than just a little survivalable.

Tommy lost his wife, brother(best friend) and is now disabled, left to wollow for months if you don't understand how that can warp your perception you understand little about the human psychological state, it is nonsensical, it isnt rational but it's human.

Yep, explained it better than I did, cheers.

Finished it yesterday.

9.25/10 because it had me doing stuff I didn’t want to do. No other game has had me to that before.

Killer ******* game.
Same, got it done last night. Stayed up to 1am with the ending stretching out a bit more than I anticipated. Looking back, it was fine and I should have just had a break.

Amazing game, I cannot understand any of the hate out there. Some gamers really need to grow up or we won’t get nice things. Hopefully it’s the pandemic fueling it and it doesn’t become the norm for when developers take story risks instead of cookie cutter ones.

It’s like being upset if your team plays in a cracking game that is a draw. You might not like the outcome but don’t hate on the game.

finished it for a 2nd time. and i think i love it even more.

little bits of dialog you understand more the 2nd time.
and after already playing the game and knowing everything about Abby. Her day 1 was much better the 2nd time because i didnt want to murder her all the time. Manny grew on me the 2nd time. but i still think Owen is my favorite of Abbys supporting characters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back