Multiplat Cities: Skylines II

Remove this Banner Ad

The tensor cores that are on more modern NVIDIA GPUs are designed for compute but they're for handling AI things like DLSS. Trying to handball any compute task to a GPU is going to be slower because it has to pass through the bus with everything else. That's where a console with a SoC system on chip milks some extra performance and why the new fancy CPUs with large L3 are proving advantageous.

The more I think about the delay I wonder too if it's also partly to do with the update to Unity's licensing. If they need a bit more time to optimise the console ports then delaying until next year gives enough time for Unity to walk back their horrible licensing change. Unity have already taken baby steps in this direction.

The content creators are clearly still under some sort of gag orders. Not the video but CPP's top comment on the video he says he wants to make another addressing performance but can't yet. This is probably why they're recommending a 3080 for 1080p and console release has been significantly delayed. The game is unfortunately going to not be running the best at launch.

So torn as to buy straight up or wait.
Watch any reviews etc in the week before its full release to us plebs and of course if you are getting on steam you can refund I guess if you boot it up and it runs like crap.

Confirmed to be running like a turd on release

"We see this as a long term project..."

dwwaino translation: "we'll probably just wait for hardware to catch up"

As a follower of both afl 23/big ant releases and this thread.....amazing to see the difference in comms from a company who doesn't treat their customers like an unwanted pest.

Disappointing re performance but at least we know the plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a follower of both afl 23/big ant releases and this thread.....amazing to see the difference in comms from a company who doesn't treat their customers like an unwanted pest.

Disappointing re performance but at least we know the plan.

I think open communication is good even if it's not the best news. Reading around other communities where many were really hanging out for this game there is a lot of disappointment with the news over the last month and I've seen lots of people cha ge their minds about buying this day one. However they don't have any I'll will against the company or those involved.

I've been a day one lock for this game since it was announced but this latest update has even me on the fence now. In the next few weeks I also plan on getting Alan Wake 2 and Like A Dragon: Gaiden so a part of me is now just thinking of letting the launch slide while I'm going to be occupied anyway. Or, I'll just get it on Game Pass to learn it but not get attached to any city I build and just wait until a better time to purchase on Steam.

My bro in law is a Cities Skylines addict but plays exclusively console. He's really bummed he has to wait until next year but appreciated the updates and honesty and said he'd rather that than be bitterly disappointed.

Honest communication goes a long way.

No Steam workshop initially might be something to do with Game Pass and console parity (for when that comes) so they can control the content and variables while they work on it.
Its for consoles to have access to all the same mods through Paradox own mod platform it seems.

No Steam workshop initially might be something to do with Game Pass and console parity (for when that comes) so they can control the content and variables while they work on it.

If the paradox mod store is as s**t as it sounds, then there's going to be a lot less mods for this.

Also announcing it 1 week before release is really scummy.

If the paradox mod store is as s**t as it sounds, then there's going to be a lot less mods for this.

Also announcing it 1 week before release is really scummy.

I think if it's the main port for mods for the game then it will work out in the long run and it's great news for consoles as well as Game Pass players, but yeah it's probably the one thing they could have been more open about from the start. Things can always change in time too.

I think if it's the main port for mods for the game then it will work out in the long run and it's great news for consoles as well as Game Pass players, but yeah it's probably the one thing they could have been more open about from the start. Things can always change in time too.

There will be a paywall in front of this very soon as well.

Very dubious call to release the game in such a state. I can't see it being good for their numbers long term.
Yeah, I personally don't think they deserve the goodwill some are affording them for informing their consumers that their product is still broken a week from release. If it runs as badly as it sounds, this should 100% have been delayed.

Biffa on his live stream last night with a 4090 and 5800x3d was only getting 50fps at 1440p with a lot of graphic settings on medium. That is not a good look for the game so close to release.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back