Multiplat Cities: Skylines II

Remove this Banner Ad

Really poor. I was always taught that optimisation starts the moment the GDD (Game Design Document) is printed. While you don't labour over entirely when putting the game together it is still always a consideration - as in create more LODs than you need, constantly refactor code to run more efficient, always consider worst case scenario as it's easier to bump detail later on.

If your plan is to "finish" the game first then go over with optimisation passes then there is a chance you could have compounded many issues that are very difficult to fix. That's something that seems like it may have happened here.

Really poor. I was always taught that optimisation starts the moment the GDD (Game Design Document) is printed. While you don't labour over entirely when putting the game together it is still always a consideration - as in create more LODs than you need, constantly refactor code to run more efficient, always consider worst case scenario as it's easier to bump detail later on.

If your plan is to "finish" the game first then go over with optimisation passes then there is a chance you could have compounded many issues that are very difficult to fix. That's something that seems like it may have happened here.

What games or game companies have you worked on/for out of interest? Or just studied it? This sounds like a criticism haha but genuinely just interested as you seem to know a lot more than most about how game dev works

What games or game companies have you worked on/for out of interest? Or just studied it? This sounds like a criticism haha but genuinely just interested as you seem to know a lot more than most about how game dev works

Studied it late 90s/early 00s then one of the first adult friends I made after high school was a lead at Krome and he definitely persuaded me not to pursue it lol. So I didn't and picked up the tools instead. Has been a hobby ever since though and through indie dev communities I've been apart of I've got to be in touch with some who were good enough to be employed from small studios to big ones like Ubi and then subsequently pick their brains on the workflows. So that's over 20 years of modding games and fiddling with engines out of curiosity. Over the years when I've been a bit bored I've done some formal qualifications on the side like programming in the case a really good opportunity ever comes up.

I actually thought of myself more of a programmer for most of that time even though I often felt like I was fighting with code as I was never great at art. I liked to help solo and small indie teams in indie Discords and stuff solve problems with their games in the hope maybe a good collaboration opportunity came up. Have you heard of the game Mortal Shell? It was actually made by a small group that met at an Unreal Engine meet and greet in the USA and they made the game remotely from each other. Then they outsourced any complicated coding do a full time programmer. That was the kind of thing I spent years looking for. Unfortunately nothing ever did and it was only a couple years ago I thought I'd dabble in a bit of design and 3D art (environments, props etc, more than enough middleware available to do human models and animation) and realised it was my true jam so now I'm finally confident I can make something entirely by myself that looks AAA.

/endcoolstory

Shame about the issues as I havn't played my PS4 for a while and was looking forward to dusting it off and getting into it.

Lesson I learn't with Cyberpunk is it's better to wait it out and first play it when it's half decent atleast.

Watching how to optimise the game highlights one of the draw backs of Unity. Those processing features can only be toggled on or off as since Unity doesn't have access to the engine code like UE does they can't be edited in more granular control. I'm also assuming they're using Unity's HDRP (High Definition Render Pipeline) too and according to the documentation there is no going back from that. CS1 given its age would have been on the URP which is why it was always more CPU bound.

If that is the case then why bother using Unity over Unreal Engine?

A lot of the systems from CS1 would have been recycled. Switching to UE would require starting from scratch and since they use different languages they may have just felt more comfortable continuing with Unity. The original trailer was made using UE so it's quite possible they attempted using UE before deciding to stick with Unity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd literally just got all DLCs and was enjoying my "best" start to a city when CS2 was announced, and I kinda shelved the save waiting for CS2... but also telling myself I should wait 12 months before getting it.

I had assumed I'd still be a sucker and get it day 1 as I have the no patience l, but now I think I really will wait.

Latest dev diary about the paradox mods

Paradox’s considered opinion is that mods are, and should always be, free of charge community-created content. This is not something that we will ever change.

My reading of this is that they'll be behind a paywall in 1-3 years.

This guy is probably my favourite PC tech tuber dude at the moment. Very no frills videos, gets to the point and puts things in black and white without fluff. The algorithm blessed him around Starfield release and his channel blew up.

I post this because while we can watch the CS2 content creators complain about the performance for days, Daniel here has taken it all and broken down exactly what is going on and what hardware is doing what.

So at 1080p low to medium settings with a 5600x (a good yardstick as it has been the most recommended mid range gaming CPU of the last few years) the CPU is the limiting factor as performance is mostly capped with any GPU from a 3080 through to a 4090. However once you bump this to 1440p and are instantly GPU bound then a 4090 is only capable of 30-40 fps. At high settings you can just forget about playing it. As he states, there is not a single system on the planet that can run this at 30fps on high at 1440p. There is no way this game should be released this week if there is no great improvement over these review builds.

Also Rock Paper Shotgun claiming it to be better than the reports and stating to be on an RX590 3400G are either listing the wrong specs or playing CS1...

Releasing the game despite it not being optimized was always going to have pros and cons. I think that they have been pretty upfront. Releasing it and being able to optimize with the help of thousands from the community was always going to yield a better product in the long run rather than solely doing it in house.

Just got home and tested with the 100k CCP save on Gamepass. 2070 Super, 3600 (not X), 32gb ram, CCP's recommended medium settings. GPU and VRAM both at 95%+, FPS range from about 13 when looking directly at the downtown and the horizon at the same time at 1440p in the rain, up to around 30 over smaller buildings. Dropping to 1080p increased both of those by about 10 frames and dropped VRAM usage to about 90%

Downloading on Game Pass now and will give it a quick whirl later. I have two monitors, a 3440*1440 which I don't think I'll be running it on and a 4K so it sounds like I'll be using that one at 1080p. My only advantage over a lot of early reviewers is my CPU is a 5900x so I might be able to milk a few more frames out of the 12c/24t but I'm not expecting miracles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back