The Lego Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

20210403_140813.jpg

Onto box 4, snapped this pic halfway or so through it. It's quite lengthy this box as it is the entire rear section plus large sections of the body, and engine cover. Sexy as f*** (snapped in bright daylight), they really spent a lot of time getting the lines right.

20210403_143027.jpg

...but this is what you guys were most concerned about, and I can tell you it is partially true. This is the rear spoiler under overcast conditions, and you can make out the connector circles being a slightly different shade than many of the other pieces.

20210403_153656.jpg

Under lights, it is also noticeable. I do appreciate however that the same lime green pieces were all exactly consistent (so none of that mismatch amongst the same pieces that some previous buyers reported). I may have gotten a bit lucky there, however, so this is just my own experience so far.

20210403_153819.jpg

In the centre is the piece that stood out the most. They are all the same - a bit more of an olive than lime green. It stands out the most on the rear spoiler as it has some of them mixed in with conventional coloured pieces. Keen observers will also note that the rubber strut is also a different shade, but I can forgive that as it's less noticeable than the circle connector thingy and it's a different material than normal Lego pieces.

20210403_154048.jpg

The rear spoiler fully extended - it goes up maybe 1 cm total. The Italian flag on the side of the engine cover (which is easily removable thankfully, no need to remove Lego pins) is a nice touch, along with the Lamborghini printed tile. Overall, I empathise with the colour mismatch concerns, and it is definitely noticeable, but from this sample size of one I think it's overblown.

Last edited:
20210404_213424.jpg

And the last update - Box 6 is nothing but the tyres and rims, so box 5 wrapped up around this stage - the brake calipers are a nice touch (although difficult to attach, as there is a rod behind the brake disc which is difficult to see (much less attach onto)

20210404_215322.jpg

Included as the last bits to make are a travel bag and display plaque. Nice, I guess? The travel bag is hidden in the front trunk anyway.

20210404_215353.jpg

Undeniably sexy though from all angles, especially this one. I should add the front light white bits are all rigid and a lot of work went into placing them at the right angles to replicate the real life care's headlights.

20210404_215649.jpg

The paddle shifts work! Well, at least I think I do, as the gears underneath move but I have no idea which gear is which.

20210404_215855.jpg

With everything open...

20210404_215936.jpg

...and everything closed. Note how low profile the car is, the cabin barely juts out.

20210404_215953.jpg

The ass...

20210404_220019.jpg

...and the front. Note the slight difference in colour of the 'badge' part compared to some parts around it.

20210404_220431.jpg

Someone requested this, you can see most of the transmission underneath which is a nice design choice, but good luck trying to view it while trying to operate the paddle shift or gear stick.

20210404_220540.jpg

Size comparison, the thing is large and weighs a lot too.

Overall

One of the most technically (pun intended) builds I've ever undertaken, but the reward was well worth it. I estimate I spent maybe 20 hours on the build, but this was with regular double-checking because I sure as f*** do not want to take it apart and rebuild it. I am sure professionals can knock this off in two days. I'll summarise with some dot points:

Pros
- Astonishingly complex with the working gearbox the highlight of this detail
- Most of the design choices to make the car sexy were fine - creating the angles of the car, the headlights, spoiler, bucket seats and front end in particular
- Packaging and manual quality was excellent, really sold the idea of a premium build for adults
- No stickers! A fair few printed parts to flesh out the finer details were definitely appreciated too
- I got it for $500 and in my view it was worth that price - $570 is probably pushing it - wait for a sale?

Cons
- The colour mismatch of the lime green parts is noticeable - it's not as distinct as some others reported on other forums, but definitely noticeable
- The main offending part for the colour mismatch which I highlighted above was this round connector - it was also frustrating because they weren't made to the same specifications engineering-wise because there often was issues in inserting the join into a hole (I suspect there is some quality control issues here that Lego just could not rectify because of COVID demand)
- Part of the astounding complexity also meant some steps during assembly were confusing or relied on too much finesse in my opinion - people with fat fingers may want to ask someone with more nimble digits to help at a couple of points
- A couple or so bags had identical parts with black/dark gray differences and you have to take care to use the right one (the manual like all other Lego manuals use too similar colours in my opinion to identify black and dark gray pieces)

Last edited:

Great job on that, will definitely add it to the wish list. Do like that it has no stickers - I've just finished Diagon Alley and that really does introduce sticker fatigue, which is kinda disappointing in a $600 set.

I'd wait for a sale unless you're that desperate. It's a masterpiece and a new pinnacle of achievements in Technic. The build is also not repetitive enough to make you regret shelling out hundreds of dollars for it, even if it is gigantic... *coughcolosseumcough* Maybe also wait until the colour mismatch gets resolved with reissued sets?

If you're financially willing, $650 also gets you Hogwarts Castle, the masterpiece of all Harry Potter Lego, and sticker use is not prolific (and mostly limited to essential detail which is difficult on printed pieces). If I ever get that bored, I might disassemble and reassemble for BigFooty one day. I just like the sets with incredible detail (but my wallet cries for it).

I've just done Sesame St which has loads of little details and is a fun build. Expensive for what it is though. Picked up the Volvo loader in the Big W clearance, that's surprisingly technical as well (incl 3 motors and an articulated cab).

Will get the Lambo but am waiting for it to become cheaper.

How was the ISS and lunar lander by the way? I have the Saturn V but they never really appealed to me to add to the space theme as they seem a bit plain.
Have both of these and wasn't disappointed - I think the main issue with any kind of space display is the differing scales. The ISS looks great but is a fairly simple build with lots of fiddly bits - the huge plus is the solar panels are printed. The lunar module is very realistic and an interesting build.

Would recommend both but I am a sucker for all of the NASA sets.

How was the ISS and lunar lander by the way? I have the Saturn V but they never really appealed to me to add to the space theme as they seem a bit plain.
The Lunar Lander was great. The Space Station was a little bit meh. It the Space Shuttle is half as good as the Saturn V I'll be happy.

The Lunar Lander was great. The Space Station was a little bit meh. It the Space Shuttle is half as good as the Saturn V I'll be happy.

Wholeheartedly concur. Loved every bit of the lunar lander and Saturn V, but the space station was not my favourite, and now I have to rebuild it since my cat knocked it off the shelf!

sub-buzz-4755-1617246520-25.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would pay serious cash money for that modular set looking Young and Jacksons as a real modular kit!

It does looks great.....they would need a lego Chloe on the wall

I would love to see the whole model , the train station and even the weird rock covered building across the road too

For those of you into HP, the next wave of sets has been announced for availability from Lego.com from 1 June and general retail from 1 August. A good rundown, including Australian pricing, either brickingaround or jaysbrickblog.

These are 20th anniversary sets, and each has a unique gold minfigure, so you're going to have to stump up over $900 to get them all.

No Gringotts in this wave. Surely this is coming to complement Diagon Alley?

Lego heist thieves chase riches in bricks
There is serious money to be made from selling collectible editions of the Danish play things, and toy stores offer easy pickings for organised crime gangs.

A gang of Polish thieves checks into a Paris hotel. In the dead of night, they carry out a series of raids on local toy stores, stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars’ worth of Lego before driving back to Poland to sell their haul online.

The Paris raids took place last June. A month later, highly organised thieves stole £441,000 (about $794,000) worth of Lego from a charity warehouse in northern England.

“We also know of similar thefts in the United States and Australia,” the French detective admits. “We don’t know if all these heists are linked, but they appear to be part of a growing criminal trend.”

Lego is far from just child’s play. Adult collectors are investing in Lego in the same way people play the sharemarket or invest in wine to resell it years later. Sets of the multi-coloured toy bricks can rocket in value soon after they go out of production, which happens frequently because Lego constantly refreshes its themed lines, introducing new ones, from Harry Potter to Star Wars, several times a year.

Currently building the shuttle. Was really enjoying the build right up to the 24 large silver stickers that need to be applied to the inside of the curved roof. Surely there was a better way? Very hard to line up and apply without bubbles etc :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back