The Lego Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Built the Polaroid this afternoon. Satisfying and clever little build and very realistic, even with a picture-taking function which works well.

Would I recommend it? No, not at RRP ($90). Unfortunately it hits the market at the same time as the Creator Retro Camera, which can be had for less than $30 and is just as satisfying to build. The comparisons are inevitable, and the Polaroid comes off second best. One for a deep discount only.

Yeah was about to comment that judging from Neese it's a neat little build but at nearly $100? No thanks.

I was cleaning my place today, ironically trying to create a bit more space to put the big Mercedes F1 together during the Sheffield Shield final this week (go Tigers!)

Ironic because while I was cleaning I knocked the two-thirds built Senna Mclaren off my shelf and it exploded. I've been trying to figure out how to put it back together tonight, but I think it's terminal - I'll have to pull it apart and start again :(

Not the first time Senna's F1 car disintegrated completely upon impact...

...too soon?

"Three days of Bricktastic Bonanza Deals" coming to the Certified Stores 22-24/3. When they've done this before they've been a bit hit and miss to be honest but keep an eye out in case there's anything that takes your fancy.

EDIT : Some details. Friday is confirmed, Saturday and Sunday "rumours"

Friday 22/3 - Triple VIP points (not to be confused with Lego Insiders Points :rolleyes:) and 4 Brickheadz for the price of 3
Saturday 23/3 - Free set 11035 Creative Houses (RRP $80) when spending $350; discounts on selected sets
Sunday 24/3 - "Hunt & Win"

Last edited:
I don't like Brickheadz
They're not really my go to, but I do have a few. The Toy Story ones are probably my favourites, Sonic and Tails are cute. I think we have most of the Christmas and Easter ones too. Oh, and the Spice Girls - that was a gorgeous set, never fails to be instantly recognised by visitors of a certain age ;).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PXL_20240318_124540536.jpg

Five more down, five to go! Something a bit unique at least, a painter's studio tucked away with splotches of paint underneath brushes and a kiln. As before, the white dot piece (representing paint) is not fixed.

PXL_20240318_131327462.MP.jpg

Bag 16 with the detail - it seems she is employed to paint shields and double as a blacksmith too. So far so good and a bit of variety.

PXL_20240322_115508226.MP.jpg

A fairly boring next two bags to flesh out the house underneath the castle tower. You can start to see them re-employing the Lion Knights Castle techniques...

PXL_20240322_122804423.MP.jpg

Bag 20 fleshes it out some more with a high class bed and an ink fountain and letter. Looks nice with a bit of detail as you'd expect in a castle themed set, but this bothered me...

PXL_20240322_122947780.jpg

The floors of the connecting halves are not even - this is definitely not a user issue, the houses are clearly built with the floors one plate distance apart. It is also not a functional house with the firewood blocking a corridor entrance completely and a pail in the middle of nowhere (I can excuse the kitchen being part of the house in medieval times). Hmm.

Last edited:
PXL_20240324_055622361.MP.jpg

Bag 21 above and 22 below are fairly humdrum. Is that a word? Anyway, no real excitement there.

PXL_20240324_061233360.jpg PXL_20240324_064749701.MP.jpg

Bag 23 is a bit nicer to go through, some variety as you assemble the top floor with features like the tax collector - and a hidden drawer (in that little room above you see) where people can stash their coins. Maybe some multi-national corporations could use these tax avoidance tips.

PXL_20240324_073159753.jpg

The second last bag is a nice tower. But why would the Lion Knight soldier have a spear? Not useful if you're trying to attack your enemies from a distance. Anyway one to go, looks like the last roof, so far so good...

PXL_20240324_081150822.jpg

The last bag adds interesting detail - a bit finicky but adds some much needed decorative flair to the castle portion.

PXL_20240324_081640188.MP.jpg

And a shield stand (with a great printed shield) rounds off all the 'loose' bits. Eight minifigs and importantly a nice and diverse variety. Enjoy the return of the Wolf Bandits, the tax collector and painter figure. No, the kid doesn't have a weapon, it's a spoon. For those playing at home, you also get a painter, maid/bar attendant/whatever, barber and carpenter.

PXL_20240324_081720753.MP.jpg

Top down view of everything (since we got plenty of interior views anyway). Folds nicely in half (obviously as it should), I must say the grove bag was a good addition as well to add some natural environment to the set. Improved the set by a whole ratings point probably otherwise it was getting tedious with all the thatched roofs.

PXL_20240324_081832961.jpg

....and for those wanting a size comparison with the mother (father?) of all castle sets.

I will rearrange in a play scenario later but it definitely is compatible and matches closely with the theme of modern castle. On that note, it is really well done. The exteriors look great. And if you have Lion Knights Castle, it expands your play and display options greatly (so in that regard, a big win for me)

But on another note, stickers were annoying, not really any fun techniques used in building (and some steps required fingers that ideally would be smaller than mine, and mine are already quite delicate anyway, or so everyone telles me), and the interiors could have been fleshed out a bit more. Not as fun as Lion Knights Castle (but that is difficult to match) and I wouldn't buy it if I didn't have LKC in the first place (at $400 a little steep for effectively two buildings, albeit with a few interesting minifigs).

Pros
  • If you have Lion Knights Castle or any other similar sets, an outstanding expansion set that adds civilian life to the theme
  • Some nice exteriors on the buildings
  • Great minifig (and animal) variety if you're into that

Cons
  • Nothing really new I haven't seen before in terms of techniques
  • Stickers - they were annoying in parts and the Lion Knights shield at the very end which is gorgeously printed added salt to the wound. The 'envelope' stickers for example were printed parts in a previous set!
  • That uneven floor in one of the buildings may forever irritate me. Come on, why didn't someone just modify it to add one more tile layer to even it out?

7/10

View attachment 1938419

The last bag adds interesting detail - a bit finicky but adds some much needed decorative flair to the castle portion.

View attachment 1938420

And a shield stand (with a great printed shield) rounds off all the 'loose' bits. Eight minifigs and importantly a nice and diverse variety. Enjoy the return of the Wolf Bandits, the tax collector and painter figure. No, the kid doesn't have a weapon, it's a spoon. For those playing at home, you also get a painter, maid/bar attendant/whatever, barber and carpenter.

View attachment 1938422

Top down view of everything (since we got plenty of interior views anyway). Folds nicely in half (obviously as it should), I must say the grove bag was a good addition as well to add some natural environment to the set. Improved the set by a whole ratings point probably otherwise it was getting tedious with all the thatched roofs.

View attachment 1938423

....and for those wanting a size comparison with the mother (father?) of all castle sets.

I will rearrange in a play scenario later but it definitely is compatible and matches closely with the theme of modern castle. On that note, it is really well done. The exteriors look great. And if you have Lion Knights Castle, it expands your play and display options greatly (so in that regard, a big win for me)

But on another note, stickers were annoying, not really any fun techniques used in building (and some steps required fingers that ideally would be smaller than mine, and mine are already quite delicate anyway, or so everyone telles me), and the interiors could have been fleshed out a bit more. Not as fun as Lion Knights Castle (but that is difficult to match) and I wouldn't buy it if I didn't have LKC in the first place (at $400 a little steep for effectively two buildings, albeit with a few interesting minifigs).

Pros
  • If you have Lion Knights Castle or any other similar sets, an outstanding expansion set that adds civilian life to the theme
  • Some nice exteriors on the buildings
  • Great minifig (and animal) variety if you're into that

Cons
  • Nothing really new I haven't seen before in terms of techniques
  • Stickers - they were annoying in parts and the Lion Knights shield at the very end which is gorgeously printed added salt to the wound. The 'envelope' stickers for example were printed parts in a previous set!
  • That uneven floor in one of the buildings may forever irritate me. Come on, why didn't someone just modify it to add one more tile layer to even it out?

7/10
Thanks for the impressive level of detail in reviewing this for us. Much appreciated

Just built the Astronaut. It's a detailed build, less fiddly than I expected and quite realistic. Better value than the Polaroid for the same price (I've just seen it on amazon for $65 which is not unreasonable). It's a little flimsy and isnt totally poseable or particularly adjustable on its stand, but looks good on the NASA display shelf. If you're into real life space sets, it fits pretty well, although I don't know if its actually modelled on a specific worn suit. I suspect not. There's no reference material in the manual (and no NASA logo on the box).

The other two builds are fairly pedestrian (unlike, say, the Red Fox) and wouldn't spark a purchase on their own. One for afficionados and Space completionists I think.

Is anyone getting the Gotham City or Dungeons and Dragons sets on launch day? There should be a GWP with the latter that may appeal to D&D fans.

I reckon Gotham City would be an engaging build and look great on the wall even if you're not a Batman fan. Will keep an eye out for a sale I think.

Is anyone getting the Gotham City or Dungeons and Dragons sets on launch day? There should be a GWP with the latter that may appeal to D&D fans.

I reckon Gotham City would be an engaging build and look great on the wall even if you're not a Batman fan. Will keep an eye out for a sale I think.
I'm Natalie Imbruglia.

I'm thinking of doing a Mario Display with the Bowser as the centrepiece, on a self made raised stage. Then buying the Question Block, piranha and one of the starter sets directly in front of the stage. Will look sick.

But then, I want the Gotham City, to pair with the BatCave, the batwing and one of the cheaper Batmans that i already made.

I'm Natalie Imbruglia.

I'm thinking of doing a Mario Display with the Bowser as the centrepiece, on a self made raised stage. Then buying the Question Block, piranha and one of the starter sets directly in front of the stage. Will look sick.

But then, I want the Gotham City, to pair with the BatCave, the batwing and one of the cheaper Batmans that i already made.
I think the Mario display. You may need the original Bowser Castle and Peach's Castle to round it out.

But then again, those Batman sets are awesome and would look good displayed together. You might even be able to get the Batman Art set to go with it.

I think the Mario display. You may need the original Bowser Castle and Peach's Castle to round it out.

But then again, those Batman sets are awesome and would look good displayed together. You might even be able to get the Batman Art set to go with it.
Good point, i do like that Dry Bowser set. Bit pricey though, i reckon i'd knock it off in a session

Remove this Banner Ad

Back