The Manager Merry-go-Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

This one's been done to death, but Suarez 'molested' the league in 2012/13 too, and we finished 7th with 61 points. So you're saying that the the extra 23 points we accrued in 2013/14 are entirely attributable to Suarez scoring an extra 7 goals? It's a pretty simplistic argument.

And his win % at Swansea and Reading (without any context) as evidence of his managerial ability? Really? About as relevant as his 71% winning rate at Celtic.

Thank you for this window into the meltdowns to come when you do sign him. I'll be subscribing to that thread.

Suarez scored 7 more goals and doubled his assists in the 2013/14 season. Amazing that Suarez leaves and Liverpool crash, Sturridge has had ONE great season and surprise surprise it was the same the Suarez was the best in.

You stated he was/is an excellent coach...his WR shows he's nothing special.

Here's some context -

Avoided relegation with Watford in the Championship (finishing 13th)
Sacked from Reading in the Championship (one place above relegation)
Did ok at Swansea (Promoted via playoffs and finished 11th)
Sacked from Liverpool (7th, 2nd, 6th, and 10th)

I don't give a s**t about his record at Celtic, managerial powerhouses such as Ronny Delia, Martin O'neal, Jozef Venglos and Tony Mowbray have all been successful there.

How much more would you like? Why was he sacked from Liverpool if he was this "excellent coach"? Did Liverpool get it wrong?

Tell me, if Klopp walked away right now would you take Rogers back?

I want the best manager available. Rodgers is not anywhere near the best manager available. He can come back to the Premier league with a smaller club and show some ability but I'm not interested in him getting a free ride to Arsenal on the back of a bloated Celtic record.

That transfer committee ****** Rodgers over big time. Balotelli wasn't a signing he wanted and I doubt Benteke was either, Bertrand was always his number 1 over Moreno, he tried big time for Sanchez to replace Suarez (London) and Mhiki, Willian and Diego Costa before they became household names were players he wanted before going somewhere else or staying put.

His record at developing attacking players and youth players has always been great (Allen, Davies, Tierney, Sterling, Hendry, Sinclair pre-Man City, Dembele). Let's not forget Coutinho and Sturridge playing some of their most consistent football under him as well and he even turned Hendo around when most people wrote him off.

Sturridge, Clyne, Can, Firmino, and Milner are players he identified and signed with only one of them being a proven commodity.

Markovic, Borini and Benteke are undoubtedly s**t but Benteke wasn't even a Rodgers signing (neither was Balo). Origi is still young and can become something and even then he was decent without being great at Pool. Sakho is a good defender he just fell out with Klopp. People at PSG still think it was a mistake letting him go. Mignolet was certainly serviceable under Rodgers most of the time. Aspas and Alberto didn't kick on at Pool but they're shoe-ins to play for Spain at the WC and Aspas barring injury will start for them so it's not like he signed s**t trucks. Lallana has been fine when he's not injured so I don't know why he's here. Like I said before regarding Moreno, he wanted Bertrand first and Allen was always going to struggle when it was obvious he should've stayed at Swansea for another year or two.

Taking a bang average Swansea side from the Championship to mid table safety in the PL whilst playing some of the best football in England isn't any good? His Celtic side going unbeaten for the whole of last season domestically (and give me something other than hurdur scotland). Did you watch Celtic against Man City last season or against Bayern in this one? They were excellent across all 4 games. This narrative that Rodgers is a s**t manager is one that's just filled with ignorance.

He was at Swansea for two seasons, they were ok but not long enough to see if they could sustain it or not.

Seems to be a whole bunch of excuses as to why he failed at Liverpool.....

Champions league under Rogers?

Played 12

Won 1
Lost 8
Draw 3

Conceded 28
Scored 10

I want a manger that doesn't get thrashed in Europe (I've had enough of that).

Once again, I couldn't care less about his domestic achievements in Scotland.

How much more would you like? Why was he sacked from Liverpool if he was this "excellent coach"? Did Liverpool get it wrong?
One sentence cuts through all the bs, all the spin and all the debate over his worth.
Not good enough for LFC but somehow is for AFC. That’s one that’s surely hard to explain.

One sentence cuts through all the bs, all the spin and all the debate over his worth.
Not good enough for LFC but somehow is for AFC. That’s one that’s surely hard to explain.
He has redeemed himself in a non-top 5 European league playing with a side that is lower-mid table EPL strength competing with sides that wouldn't trouble the Championship playoff spots

Suarez scored 7 more goals and doubled his assists in the 2013/14 season. Amazing that Suarez leaves and Liverpool crash, Sturridge has had ONE great season and surprise surprise it was the same the Suarez was the best in.

You stated he was/is an excellent coach...his WR shows he's nothing special.

Here's some context -

Avoided relegation with Watford in the Championship (finishing 13th)
Sacked from Reading in the Championship (one place above relegation)
Did ok at Swansea (Promoted via playoffs and finished 11th)
Sacked from Liverpool (7th, 2nd, 6th, and 10th)

I don't give a s**t about his record at Celtic, managerial powerhouses such as Ronny Delia, Martin O'neal, Jozef Venglos and Tony Mowbray have all been successful there.

Tell me, if Klopp walked away right now would you take Rogers back?

I want the best manager available. Rodgers is not anywhere near the best manager available. He can come back to the Premier league with a smaller club and show some ability but I'm not interested in him getting a free ride to Arsenal on the back of a bloated Celtic record.

He was at Swansea for two seasons, they were ok but not long enough to see if they could sustain it or not.

Seems to be a whole bunch of excuses as to why he failed at Liverpool.....

Champions league under Rogers?

Played 12

Won 1
Lost 8
Draw 3

Conceded 28
Scored 10

I want a manger that doesn't get thrashed in Europe (I've had enough of that).

Once again, I couldn't care less about his domestic achievements in Scotland.

"Did OK with Swansea" Jesus ******* wept.

Rodgers is too god for Everton, f*** me, the man's paid his dues.

Arsenal could look to Ranieri if Rodgers not good enough. Ranieri has a 53% win ratio with Chelsea and 44% with Leicester. Came 2nd to the invincibles of Arsenal and ofcourse won the title with the foxes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rodgers is too god for Everton, f*** me, the man's paid his dues.

Arsenal could look to Ranieri if Rodgers not good enough. Ranieri has a 53% win ratio with Chelsea and 44% with Leicester. Came 2nd to the invincibles of Arsenal and ofcourse won the title with the foxes

What part of best available is hard to understand? Ranieri is a decent option but not one we should be considering.

I mean * it.....Alan Pardew is available right? He got Palace to an FA cup final so lets give him a shot!

My top 3 choices - Jardim, Ancelotti, Benitez with Enrique as a fourth.

Last edited:
What part of best available is hard to understand? Ranieri is a decent option but not one we should be considering.

I mean **** it.....Alan Pardew is available right? He got Palace to an FA cup final so lets give him a shot!

We

Conte ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I mean **** it.....Alan Pardew is available right? He got Palace to an FA cup final so lets give him a shot!

We
Simeone or Allegri?

I don't think Conte wants to stay in England tbh.

Certainly would consider but really not that full on Chelsea to know exactly why they've had such a bad second season under him, if he's the problem or everything around him.

Simeone or Allegri?

I doubt Simeone leaves Spain for Arsenal, he's doing much better things with Atletico and he's got a great personal connection with the club (league winner as a player and manager). Sure if he wanted to come we'd be mad not to consider him but I don't think Arsenal are good enough to entice him away.

Same with Allegri, has a Juventus team that should be looking to win the CL each year. Doubt there's much interest to come to Arsenal atm.

If either were realistically interested and looking for a new challenge then I would be happy with them.

A lot will also depend on what Chelsea do with Conte.

I can't see why anyone is out of reach for Arsenal. In terms of financially wasn't the Emirates meant to get them on a level playing field with the biggest sides in the world? Allegri is definitely achievable

I can't see why anyone is out of reach for Arsenal. In terms of financially wasn't the Emirates meant to get them on a level playing field with the biggest sides in the world? Allegri is definitely achievable

Pending Europa League results, a lot of managers wouldn't be interested in a minnow not in the CL.

Sadly, I disagree.

We're not on the United/Real/Bayern/City/Juve/Chelsea/Barca level of clubs.

I don't think Conte wants to stay in England tbh.

Certainly would consider but really not that full on Chelsea to know exactly why they've had such a bad second season under him, if he's the problem or everything around him.

I doubt Simeone leaves Spain for Arsenal, he's doing much better things with Atletico and he's got a great personal connection with the club (league winner as a player and manager). Sure if he wanted to come we'd be mad not to consider him but I don't think Arsenal are good enough to entice him away.

Same with Allegri, has a Juventus team that should be looking to win the CL each year. Doubt there's much interest to come to Arsenal atm.

If either were realistically interested and looking for a new challenge then I would be happy with them.

Were getting allegri dude

Juve is on the verge of a rebuild so I wouldn't rule out Allegri just yet. And Simeone wouldn't be appreciated much at Arsenal anyway with his style of football compared to Arsene's.

Were getting allegri dude

We'll see!

Juve is on the verge of a rebuild so I wouldn't rule out Allegri just yet. And Simeone wouldn't be appreciated much at Arsenal anyway with his style of football compared to Arsene's.

I hope we don't look for an "Arsene/Pep lite" in terms of must play attacking football at all costs.

Pending Europa League results, a lot of managers wouldn't be interested in a minnow not in the CL.

Not all clubs can attract such managerial luminaries like Phil Brown, Steve Bruce, Mike Phelan....

Guess we'll have to be grateful with whoever slums down to our level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back