Expansion The massive problem facing QLD AFL teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Runvs, I usually agree with your points, but I gotta point out ten years ago North had a larger membership than Richmond.
It doesn't follow that they've engaged the supporter base cause they've been around longer.
I personally think they should have dropped a team into an area with another academy that already had the community support, but I get it about the tv deals.

The difference is that in the mid 90's North Melbourne were a powerhouse in the sense that they won premierships and they had arguably one of the best players in the 90's in their team and considering just how bad Richmond were 10 years ago, and how long they had been bad, it is not surprising the supporter base had sort of had enough.

The problem with North though is even when they are really good on the field their fan base is still not big.

As for GWS, I don't think it is just TV deals. It is also the AFL looking at an untapped market since 2.1 million people is not a small number, and if the AFL can turn even 5% of them into GWS fans that is a big number.

Cause it is called AFL which stands for Australian Football League just if you didn't know
It was called the AFL before GWS and Gold Coast were in the comp. I've not said I'm against these club. Just want to get some feed back on what these clubs give to the competition to justify the money been spent on them.

The game is in great shape up in Brisbane isn't it? No players want to play there, and nobody wants to watch it. They are "growing the game" well, it's just a slow burn :$:$:$
Beams, Charlie Cameron, Christensen, Robinson, Bell - just a couple of players who chose Brisbane as the club they wanted to play for. Nobody wants to watch it? When they were up the top of the ladder in the early 2000s, the place was rocking and pretty much sold out every home game. Results help the game grow and crowds, so when the Suns and Lions begin to become top 8 sides, the crowds will flock in

It was called the AFL before GWS and Gold Coast were in the comp. I've not said I'm against these club. Just want to get some feed back on what these clubs give to the competition to justify the money been spent on them.
As said before it grows the game, GC are the 6th biggest city in Australia and it allows the AFL to become the number one sport in NRL heartland such as south east queensland. GWS are again in the middle of rugby heartland and are getting soccer and league fans to side with AFL, also is located in one of the fastest growing suburbs in the country (also a very multicultural area)

The game is in great shape up in Brisbane isn't it? No players want to play there, and nobody wants to watch it. They are "growing the game" well, it's just a slow burn :$:$:$

Poor turnout for poor performance is a pretty basic concept. When you win 3 premierships in a row it's easy to get people to show up but when youre s**t for 15 years in a growth market, it's going to be hard to draw a crowd. You've been average for a really long time and your crowds reflect that - same as ours.

Of course it's a slow burn. But what's the alternative? Just leave massive growth markets alone? I'd rather see our national game become a truly national game so I'm glad you and your short sightedness isn't in charge of anything.

You're upset about this all because you feel threatened about a national competition knowing that your team would likely be the first to be cut if Victoria was to lose a side. I get it, but try not to be a huge *stick about it could ya?

We don't really expect gratitude for the hard work the club is doing growing the game in Western Sydney and Canberra. We don't even really expect supporters of clubs in the overcrowded marketplace that is Melbourne to really understand why it should be done.

Your part in the process is to sit back on your butt and reap the benefits. It shouldn't be that hard to do that.

Read the thing about the 2 million person market in GWS and the whole Gold Coast being the 6th largest city. Using the already mentioned figure of potentially turning 5 percent of those in to AFL, that equals a lot more people supporting our national game. Curious how you could construe that as a negative thing.

As said before it grows the game, GC are the 6th biggest city in Australia and it allows the AFL to become the number one sport in NRL heartland such as south east queensland. GWS are again in the middle of rugby heartland and are getting soccer and league fans to side with AFL, also is located in one of the fastest growing suburbs in the country (also a very multicultural area)
Is it important to the number 1 sport in England's soccer heartland?
Is it important to be the number 1 sport in America's NFL heartland?
Why is it important to be the number 1 sport in NRL heartland?

Sydney and Brisbane, Australia's largest and 3rd largest cities have had teams for 30+ years but as I showed earlier they are still well below the other cities in the TV ratings. When do we expect this investment to start paying off in Australia 6th largest city?

Is it important to the number 1 sport in England's soccer heartland?
Is it important to be the number 1 sport in America's NFL heartland?
Why is it important to be the number 1 sport in NRL heartland?

Sydney and Brisbane, Australia's largest and 3rd largest cities have had teams for 30+ years but as I showed earlier they are still well below the other cities in the TV ratings. When do we expect this investment to start paying off in Australia 6th largest city?
It will take a while, especially for expansion teams, as most fans don't support the teams due to AFL being around for many years before.

Read the thing about the 2 million person market in GWS and the whole Gold Coast being the 6th largest city. Using the already mentioned figure of potentially turning 5 percent of those in to AFL, that equals a lot more people supporting our national game. Curious how you could construe that as a negative thing.
I've never said that is a negative thing. I'm happy for teams to be everywhere. I just don't think supporters of Sydney and Brisbane should complain about Melbourne being an overcrowded market place when it is the leagues largest market place which is essentially paying to give people of NSW and Qld an oppurtunty to support a local team which I think is fantastic. I was responding to a comment from a New South Welshman having a go at North Melbourne receiving funding, which helps the largest market set up the northern states

I've never said that is a negative thing. I'm happy for teams to be everywhere. I just don't think supporters of Sydney and Brisbane should complain about Melbourne being an overcrowded market place when it is the leagues largest market place which is essentially paying to give people of NSW and Qld an oppurtunty to support a local team which I think is fantastic. I was responding to a comment from a New South Welshman having a go at North Melbourne receiving funding, which helps the largest market set up the northern states
Look at leicester city as an Eg , and the Beauty of FA cup where team like Man U go to a small town with 6000 capacity and play. if you compare American sport they had their own Ice Hockey , NFL , Baseball and basketball audience .

I am just saying that I think the Melbourne market as a whole would be a lot healthier if there were only 6 teams in Melbourne instead of 9. It is purely a math thing because having all of Melbourne choosing between 6 teams to support means each club is financially stronger than if there were 9 teams to pick from.

In an ideal world I imagine North Melbourne becoming a part time Tasmania team in the next few years, so 9 games in Tasmania, 9 in Melbourne and 4 in other states, and a similar deal will one day happen between the Western Bulldogs and Ballarat (though not yet as Ballarat does not have the population for that at the moment).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am just saying that I think the Melbourne market as a whole would be a lot healthier if there were only 6 teams in Melbourne instead of 9. It is purely a math thing because having all of Melbourne choosing between 6 teams to support means each club is financially stronger than if there were 9 teams to pick from.

In an ideal world I imagine North Melbourne becoming a part time Tasmania team in the next few years, so 9 games in Tasmania, 9 in Melbourne and 4 in other states, and a similar deal will one day happen between the Western Bulldogs and Ballarat (though not yet as Ballarat does not have the population for that at the moment).
If there was one team Melbourne that club would be stronger. The league is making enough money to support all teams including ones not in AFL heartland. I can't see a reason why North can't stay and Tassie gets in own team. The Melbourne market has been built up over many decades, why mess with it?

If there was one team Melbourne that club would be stronger. The league is making enough money to support all teams including ones not in AFL heartland. I can't see a reason why North can't stay and Tassie gets in own team. The Melbourne market has been built up over many decades, why mess with it?

Well I am not saying North and Western Bulldogs be entirely kicked out as I think the 9-9-4 model would work well for both. I just think that it would be better if teams relocated rather than having new teams as 18 teams is really enough, and 20 teams is really stretching the talent too much.

Call A Current Affair. Some Victorian idiot has been scammed by a dodgy ex-pat living on the Gold Coast.
Hang on I think I've heard this one before
death-of-christopher-skase.jpg

The difference is that in the mid 90's North Melbourne were a powerhouse in the sense that they won premierships and they had arguably one of the best players in the 90's in their team and considering just how bad Richmond were 10 years ago, and how long they had been bad, it is not surprising the supporter base had sort of had enough.

The problem with North though is even when they are really good on the field their fan base is still not big.

As for GWS, I don't think it is just TV deals. It is also the AFL looking at an untapped market since 2.1 million people is not a small number, and if the AFL can turn even 5% of them into GWS fans that is a big number.
Yep, it isn't as simple as the tv deal but there's a pretty good arguement the more teams there are the more need to increase the talent pool or farm the talent better so to speak

I do think they've got the fans (also had more junior members than Richmond ten years ago 8 1/2 thou)but your right they can't seem to connect.
The footys better with more teams I reckon but we gotta get more kids playing it at a high level.

The AFL has a long term plan to dominate the winter sport in this country.

What are they up for in investment costs now? $500 million?

The Qld and NSW franchises aren't going anywhere.

Beams, Charlie Cameron, Christensen, Robinson, Bell - just a couple of players who chose Brisbane as the club they wanted to play for.

Can the Lions attract anyone that's not a Queenslander, or didn't have behavioural issues at their previous club?

The AFL has a long term plan to dominate the winter sport in this country.

What are they up for in investment costs now? $500 million?

The Qld and NSW franchises aren't going anywhere.
Agreed, and they've got a long way to go till they've given as much as they've taken, even if it was expected.
20 odd each from WA and SA draft combine
55 Vic.
6 NSW ACT.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back