Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very pleased. Needs to command it next year and could be a surprise packet with 30+ goals for sure.

LeftFootBanana

All Australian
Aug 7, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon he needs to be told he's playing the first half of the season regardless. Give him one on one coaching and encourage him to take the game on.

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nothing wrong with giving him another couple of years.

Its not like we have a lot of tall forwards floating around freo.

He has at least proven he can perform in the afl.

And dont forget he was a rookie draft pick not a top 10 so i think he has proven a success already no matter how far he goes in his career.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've gotta give it to him though, I didn't want him near the side at the start of the season but he's been our best performing, most consistent forward, even though he spent a lot of time in the WAFL. He's also got a bit of right place right time with the way the game is going, playing two rucks looks to be a thing of the past. Lucky for us (and him) he's an endurance beast and can clunk a mark. If he can start having more impact on the game (scoreboard) he could easily add 3 goals a game to our side (kicks 2, 1 goal assist/score involvement). He'll also straighten us up in the forward line, which in turn will help Cam and/or Kersten:

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've gotta give it to him though, I didn't want him near the side at the start of the season but he's been our best performing, most consistent forward, even though he spent a lot of time in the WAFL. He's also got a bit of right place right time with the way the game is going, playing two rucks looks to be a thing of the past. Lucky for us (and him) he's an endurance beast and can clunk a mark. If he can start having more impact on the game (scoreboard) he could easily add 3 goals a game to our side (kicks 2, 1 goal assist/score involvement). He'll also straighten us up in the forward line, which in turn will help Cam and/or Kersten:

That's the dream!

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
The thing about Taberner, is he's so durable. Never gets injured and keeps incrementally improving. I believe that durability will hold him in good stead.

Thinking the same thing without saying it. With so many players of great potential just clogging the list for years at end, at least Tabs is available most of the time and, despite a high running capacity and heavy progress in recent years in the gym, the guy hasn't broken down. That's worth consideration for sure.

Quazar

Cancelled
Aug 31, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester United, Colorado Aves
If he plays a full season next year I would expect 35-40 goals from him.

Hope he gets his chance. If fit and available should slot in to Round 1. Same forward line as what we finished with Essendon, but I'd swap McCarthy for Kersten. And probably Matera for Ballas. Noticed that Tabs game seemed to improve with Bennell around him - Bennell crumbing off him against Richmond or delivering kicks for him to have set shots (against Essen-done).

It's all psychological with Tabs I feel, he needs to get it into his head he's capable. He's now the number one man and take it on - ride it! Breathe it, enjoy it! Get the kicking at goals straight and he could start snaring a few bags, push his confidence right up. I hope he can do that, he's been a fall guy for a while now. Just needs MC to have belief in him and give him a run

valkorum

Club Legend
Feb 4, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Sacremento Kings
He just needs to put it all together. Early on he wasnt marking well but when he did get a chance he was a decent kick for goal. This last season he was marking everything but his kicking was letting him down (in AFL only, in WAFL he was very accurate).

He has all the tools, he just needs to get his head in order. I have faith that he can be a good key forward who can kick 40+ goals a season.

(then when we get Hogan........ haha, couldn't ressist)

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
2 year contract... Means I can see him do more of this against the cats (and everyone else). Here he is lining up for his first goal back in round 14 in 2013 (A rarity, I hardly ever whip the phone out for pictures, even on a holiday).

Back