gytre

Premiership Player
Apr 14, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
C'mont/L'pool/Packers/Inter/Canucks
I started this poll back in '05, and I thought I'd start it again this season. Alan Didak has been removed from this season's poll because he's 6ft tall and therefore technically not a small player.

So who is the most annoying little sod playing in the AFL today? You know the kind of player I'm talking about. Small men, often with extroverted natures, who either with their antics, talent, playing style or a combination of these factors, tend to really get under your skin. Some of them seem to suffer from some kind of "Little Man Syndrome". Usually these type of small players are quick and elusive, which adds to the frustration of opposition supporters. Some of them are very good goalkickers and some are just downright dirty players.

My personal least favourite small player is North Melbourne's Brent Harvey. I dislike North quite a bit and I've had to endure many years now of Harvey tormenting me with his super-elusiveness and all-round sneakiness. And I just hate the way he runs. Over time he only seems to get more annoying!

St. Kilda's rodent-like small forward Stephen Milne has won this competition the last five seasons, which is hardly surprising, given his extroverted nature, speed, elusiveness and strong tendency to massively over-celebrate goals. Not to mention his on-field chirpiness and sledging.

Angus Monfries has developed quite a reputation for "diving" and I know this gets under a lot of people's skins.

Dirty Daniel Kerr is back fit and firing for the Eagles this season, and although he seems to have behaved himself a little better this season, I'm sure there will be a few people with long memories.

Fiesty Fremantle forward Hayden Ballantyne has been described as "the new Stephen Milne" because of his sledging, elusiveness and very extroverted nature. Ballantyne polled very strongly in last year's poll which was the first one he'd been in. Now that he's better known, he may poll even more votes.

Speedy Brisbane Lions forward Todd Banfield is bound to annoy a few people also because of his elusiveness and because his bright red hair makes him stand out so much.

Richmond's "Jake" King is another very chirpy extroverted small man who seems to love nothing more than getting under the skin of rival players. King's flashy Richmond teammate Robin Nahas may annoy a few people too.

Collingwood, the team everyone either loves or loves to hate, has had their share of annoying small players over the years. Although he's moved into defence this season, Leon Davis is like a lot of small aboriginal forwards. Quick, flashy, occasionally brilliant and just loves to celebrate goals.

Which brings me to some of the other aboriginal players in the league. Melbourne's Aaron Davey, with his speed, elusiveness and tendency for the spectacular, combined with his sneaky ability to run down opponents from behind must surely rate as a highly annoying player. Davey has managed to "snap" a couple of times this season and get himself in trouble.

Mercurial Port Adelaide forward Daniel Motlop is another bound to annoy people with his extroverted antics, not to mention his dirty play. He's so hot and cold, he sometimes even annoys the hell out of this Port fan! But he may not poll so well this year because his appearances have been limited.

Carlton's Eddie Betts is another prominent elusive small forward who has a tendency for the spectacular. He's polled very well the last three seasons and with Carlton apparently the most despised team on Big Footy, he's bound to poll strongly again.

Geelong's Matthew Stokes is bound to annoy people who are sick of Geelong winning.

So who's the most annoying little shit in football? Who gets under your skin the most? Well, have your say and let out your frustrations here! :D

I started this poll back in '05, and I thought I'd start it again this season. Alan Didak has been removed from this season's poll because he's 6ft tall and therefore technically not a small player.
Well, then neither are:

Angus Monfries

Todd Banfield

Daniel Motlop

Who are all listed at the same height as Didak, or taller.

I don't really like harvey. No particular reason, just think he believes he is a better player than he actually is. Though that probably applies to most on this list!

I think this is just a figment of your own imagination.

Statistically, he's a better player than Tim Watson.

In fact, he's arguably been a better player than Tim Watson. There's certainly very little between them.

Alwyn Davey option is required.

Marginally ahead of Ballantyne as a player you would love to see get squashed when he tries to suck someone into giving him a junk free.

I could understand Dids 4-5 years ago... but the bloke has developed into a pretty modest unit, and playing much more consistent footy. Apart from his one slip-up diving against Brisbane there isn't too much I could see an opposition supporter faulting him on.

As for the poll, Cherry Betts a shoe in for mine. Front running, flat track, chezza picker. Love the fact that every time he plays the Pies he goes to water, reinforces my low opinion of him. Whats with the gangstah shorts as well, C-grader at best.

Lindsay Thomas for the above reasons.
Way to miss the point. Thomas has a bad track record of staging/diving for frees. It pisses North fans off, not least because he rarely gets the free anyway.

But that's different to getting in your opponent's face like a yapping dog, hoping to get a push to the chest so you can react as if you've been shot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is just a figment of your own imagination.

Statistically, he's a better player than Tim Watson.

And statistically Shane Tuck probably has them both covered.

You'll forgive me if I don't start praising Harvey has the greatest player in the games history for 'statistically' being a better player than Watson.

In fact, he's arguably been a better player than Tim Watson. There's certainly very little between them.

I read James Hird's autobiography a couple years ago, and whilst I'm not quoting directly (I'd have to fish the book out for that), he made special mention of Watson's influence and leadership through the 1993 season, and in particular the Grand Final.

For some reason, I also remember earlier this year the NMFC captain naming and shaming some of the younger players in his side after a bad loss, and remember thinking how poorly that reflected on Harvey's own credentials as a leader.

Now, it's one for another thread, but if you believe that Harvey's stats, B+F's, leadership, premierships, and to throw a boxing term in there 'ring generalship' is likely to leave him more highly regarded than Tim Watson, or even as highly regarded, you are welcome to go and start a thread about it.

Way to miss the point. Thomas has a bad track record of staging/diving for frees. It pisses North fans off, not least because he rarely gets the free anyway.

But that's different to getting in your opponent's face like a yapping dog, hoping to get a push to the chest so you can react as if you've been shot.
Both players dive, both evidently annoy both their own and opposition supporers.

Lindsay Thomas for the above reasons.

No doubt, I could utilise the search engine to find page upon page of your criticisms of Matthew Lloyd?

Monfries for mine. Not just because of the diving, he is just annoying. Could be the way he goes about it.. he has a lot in common with prissy boy Lloyd.

For some reason, I also remember earlier this year the NMFC captain naming and shaming some of the younger players in his side after a bad loss, and remember thinking how poorly that reflected on Harvey's own credentials as a leader.

Just like to point out that you thought it reflected poorly...doesn't mean he is any less of a leader. I doubt anyone on here will know how the players responded to Harvey (not necessarily in a game situation, off-field as well), and as such, can't question his ability as a leader.

The most over-rated, biggest over-reaction story this year the Harvey thing, as no one has had a tell-all interview that informs us of Harveys stature :p as a leader.
That's all I have to say on the North-Essendon tennis match on this thread.

Voted for Jake King mainly because of the attention he received because he can do push-ups, threatened a man and acted tough on the footy field..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back