The most tired you've ever been?

Remove this Banner Ad

I did a ten day round trip to Australia when my old man got married, overnighting in Tokyo each way. Four days travel across the world for six days break is not something I'd recommend, and it took another week after that before my body clock was even resembling normality.
Caught the Weddos Adelaide farewell gig while I was there though, so it wasn't a totally wasted trip.

After one Falls Festival, we left the main stage at 4-5am, Jan 1, threw our tent in the car and left on the 3 hour journey home. Anyway, fell asleep on the bed around 3-4pm that day and was woken up at 8:30am the next day by my boss asking where I was!

My last day off was Xmas day. Since then I've done 16 hour plus work days every day so I'm pretty tired. But you do get used to it to an extent. In summer it's like that for 3 months with the occasional day off.

Having said that I've done plenty of 24 hour+ flights in economy and never sleep. Strangely I'm never really tired after. Either I'm too excited by reaching a new destination or I'm stoked to be home. So I don't really believe in jet lag, not for me anyway.

First time I flew from Brisbane to Paris I didn't sleep at all, landed at 10am then spent the entire day walking around Paris. Was completely spent by 7pm but made the most of the day.

I get tired, but not as much as most people. I rather be awake and living, than sleeping and dreaming.

When I was younger I worked an eve shift, finished at midnight, went out after and got home at 9am. Stayed awake until my next eve shift (5pm-midnight) and finally got home about 1am. I felt so sick and shithouse after that, that I've never done it again.

Like most, I suspect, my most tired stories are related to jetlag.

Basically, I can't sleep on planes.

When we came back from Europe in September last year, we'd got in at 9pm or so on the Saturday night. Of course, the jetlag had set in and I reckon we didn't get to sleep until 4am the next morning.

I was back at work on the Monday. That Sunday was a complete daze and come Monday morning I was still in no state to work. First point of order, though, was to recharge my Myki at the station on the Monday morning. As I completed the recharge using my credit card, I noticed an old inactive Myki in my wallet that needed to be chucked out. However, in my muddled and confused state I chucked out my credit card instead.

The bin was full of rubbish, but in the end I had no choice but to swallow all dignity and fish my credit card out of the bin in front of everyone.

I went to work and got absolutely nothing done, I was completely zoned out.

Getting off long haul flights at night is the worst.

If it's morning at least you can force yourself awake for that day and by the time you go to sleep you're on the way to fixing your clock to the right time.

Getting in at night then not sleeping just ruins it.

Getting off long haul flights at night is the worst.

If it's morning at least you can force yourself awake for that day and by the time you go to sleep you're on the way to fixing your clock to the right time.

Getting in at night then not sleeping just ruins it.
Yeah. When I got to New York, I got in at 5pm. Went out for dinner and a drink with the fiancee. She had aspirations of it being a huge night, but after a bowl of pasta and one beer I was completely done and struggling to stay awake.

Went back to her apartment (she was there on a six month internship and I was visiting her) and promptly fell asleep basically as soon as I hit the pillow. Slept 11 hours straight and then woke up the next morning basically ready to go.

So I was lucky that time.

Another travelling one.

6pm flight from Melbourne to London and obviously didn't sleep at all during the day and planned to sleep on the flights over which didn't eventuate.

Arrived in London at 8am and decided I would try and get a day of exploring in instead of sleep. Throughout the day felt like my eyes were going to fall out. Eventually carked it at around dinner time but I was roughly awake for 42-44 hours. Ended up waking up at midday the next day after a 16+ hour sleep.

Way back in the day, flew out of Adelaide (6:55am), so because it was deemed an international flight, I had to be at the airport 2 hours before. So been up since like 3 am. We flew to Sydney and then onto LAX and arrived at 6:25am. Wasn't feeling too bad. Flight was ok.

Grabbed the rental car from somewhere at the airport and had intentions of driving straight to Las Vegas. Thought we would get into vegas just after lunch, about 1:30ish

Now, the drive from Los Angles to Las Vegas should take ~4 hours, 5 hours if traffic is bad.

Never done it before, thought it wouldn't be too bad. Looked at the map in the rental car and it looked like I just had to jump on the 401 and then head to vegas. Drove for about an hour to 90 minuters and wasn't seeing signs for vegas, but instead was seeing signs for Malibu and Santa Barbra. Was going the wrong way for about an hour.

By this time it was about 12:00pm (lunch time). Wife sound alseep in the pasanger seat and starting to get hungry. So I decided to stop for some lunch and grab a GSP from Walmart ($39 for what its worth) and the 4 hour drive that i thought was going to take me 4 to 5 hours ended up taking us like 9 hours. By the time we got like 50 miles from vegas, my eyes were hanging out of my head.

The freeway into vegas is 90 miles an hour, everyone else was going like 120 miles an hours and here i was going at about 40 miles an hours and swaying all over my lane and doubt i was driving in a straight line. Hindsight, I should have stopped. Oh well.

Go into vegas about 5 pm, checked in and in my room by about 6pm. Didn't eat, jumped in bed and fell alsleep and woke up the next morning. The wife was pissed off as she was wide awake and just started yelling at me why i fell alseep.

Was never one of those types back in my younger days to go out all night and then back up and work that day.
The time that springs to mind was back in 2011 where I got up early and flew to Perth for the West Coast vs Carlton semi final.
Left home about 7am Melbourne time. Can't remember what time I got to Perth, but caught up with the WA Carlton supporters group for lunch and a few drinks. Headed to the ground for what was an amazing game of footy - a real roller coaster of a game.

Was exhausted after the game after we lost narrowly, felt like I had been through the wringer. Anyway, headed back to the airport to catch the red eye back to Melbourne. So many dejected Carlton supporters on that plane. Didn't sleep much on the plane, arrived back in Melbourne, drove home to find out my partner at the time had invited people over for lunch (don't ask). Eventually fell into bed about 3pm and slept all the way through until I had to get up for work the next day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two incidents.

In my twenties I went out all night. No sleep. Went to work. Went out all night, didn't sleep. By that next morning at work I was starting to hear voices lol.

When I returned from Europe, can't even remember how long i was awake for but fell asleep at 4 in the morning and slept 14 hours straight. My personal record.

Just recently, was filling in for the boss, working ridiculous hours, non-stop work, plus two young kids that would not let me get an uninterrupted night's sleep. Was walking home from the train station, about a 15 minute walk, and genuinely fell asleep for a second or two while walking. Never happened before.

Other than that, had a big week in Ibiza once, drank all day into the evening at Cafe del Mar, went back to our place and indulged a little more, partied until about 6am, then tried to grab a few hours sleep. The plan was to catch a midnight flight to Berlin, sleep on the plane and start sightseeing immediately. We got in at like 3am, hungover like no one's business, negotiated our way to the city centre over the next couple of hours and was just shattered when we got there. Weren't supposed to book into our hotel until 2pm, but the staff obviously took pity on us and we ended up sleeping until the late afternoon and missed basically a day in Berlin.

Last edited:
Way back in the day, flew out of Adelaide (6:55am), so because it was deemed an international flight, I had to be at the airport 2 hours before. So been up since like 3 am. We flew to Sydney and then onto LAX and arrived at 6:25am. Wasn't feeling too bad. Flight was ok.

Grabbed the rental car from somewhere at the airport and had intentions of driving straight to Las Vegas. Thought we would get into vegas just after lunch, about 1:30ish

Now, the drive from Los Angles to Las Vegas should take ~4 hours, 5 hours if traffic is bad.

Never done it before, thought it wouldn't be too bad. Looked at the map in the rental car and it looked like I just had to jump on the 401 and then head to vegas. Drove for about an hour to 90 minuters and wasn't seeing signs for vegas, but instead was seeing signs for Malibu and Santa Barbra. Was going the wrong way for about an hour.

By this time it was about 12:00pm (lunch time). Wife sound alseep in the pasanger seat and starting to get hungry. So I decided to stop for some lunch and grab a GSP from Walmart ($39 for what its worth) and the 4 hour drive that i thought was going to take me 4 to 5 hours ended up taking us like 9 hours. By the time we got like 50 miles from vegas, my eyes were hanging out of my head.

The freeway into vegas is 90 miles an hour, everyone else was going like 120 miles an hours and here i was going at about 40 miles an hours and swaying all over my lane and doubt i was driving in a straight line. Hindsight, I should have stopped. Oh well.

Go into vegas about 5 pm, checked in and in my room by about 6pm. Didn't eat, jumped in bed and fell alsleep and woke up the next morning. The wife was pissed off as she was wide awake and just started yelling at me why i fell alseep.

We did a similar thing when we flew to LA, arrived there Sunday morning after already having a Sunday in Sydney, some guy my mate knew from the Palm Springs rugby club picked us up and drove us out to his place in Palm Springs which took a few hours. Then we hit up some bar there in the afternoon and after a few beers I was like a zombie. It felt so surreal being in an American bar for the first time with chicks serving Budweiser and Miller pitchers and everyone talking with American accents like you see in movies, with the tiredness and booze it was like I was tripping in some sort of dream.

Thought I would have slept the sleep of the dead that night but after crashing out drunk for a few hours I woke up at about 3am in the morning unable to get back to sleep.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back