The most tired you've ever been?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fell asleep at the wheel of my car, ended up across the road on gravel (which woke me) and fortunately just missed hitting a bridge pylon.

Shook my head, thanked my lucky stars and drove off.............only to do the same thing a couple of hundred metres later.
Same, gravel woke me eventually, but too late. Straight through ringlock fence, clipped corner of a shed and rolled 4 1/2 times. One cut on knee, ( from crawling out ), an awful fright and beautiful car written off

Same, gravel woke me eventually, but too late. Straight through ringlock fence, clipped corner of a shed and rolled 4 1/2 times. One cut on knee, ( from crawling out ), an awful fright and beautiful car written off

Lucky you....Lost count of how many times those rumble strips have saved me, coming home in the truck after a long-haul.

I was part of the managament team running an offshore drilling project in the Bay of Bengal about 4 years ago. I jackup drill rig, 4 support vessels (AHTV) and one warehouse barge. Total workforce of about a 1,000 with only 3 of us speaking English with the rest a mixture of Chinese, Myanmar & Bangladesh; and a client who had an allowance of 1 death per well we drilled.

I pulled 20 hour days 7 days per week for 6 weeks straight, then 2 weeks off, then 20 hour days 7 days per week for 6 weeks straight and then we completed the project with nil FAT, MTI's, LTI's let alone any fatalities. The Chinese client was stunned with no deaths let alone no injuries. After the project I and the other 2 client rep's literally found a bar in Yangon and drank myself to sleep.
Luxury...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I was part of the managament team running an offshore drilling project in the Bay of Bengal about 4 years ago. I jackup drill rig, 4 support vessels (AHTV) and one warehouse barge. Total workforce of about a 1,000 with only 3 of us speaking English with the rest a mixture of Chinese, Myanmar & Bangladesh; and a client who had an allowance of 1 death per well we drilled.

I pulled 20 hour days 7 days per week for 6 weeks straight, then 2 weeks off, then 20 hour days 7 days per week for 6 weeks straight and then we completed the project with nil FAT, MTI's, LTI's let alone any fatalities. The Chinese client was stunned with no deaths let alone no injuries. After the project I and the other 2 client rep's literally found a bar in Yangon and drank myself to sleep.
You tried Oman ? I *n hate Omanies. Just to get a local to do anything you need to "ask" them to do something, rather than tell them...thats because they are all superior beings to you :rolleyes:. Hopefully they're a bit more easy going these days with more torusim happening (some great GT fishing and beautiful coast for those looking for somewhere different to holiday). Worst was they didnt allow the operator to import better more efficient crews. Slowwwww.

Longest stints/Most tired i spent were invariably in Schlumberger shacks running RFT's/Production testing. Hurts when you know their rep is formally trained in how to stay alert for days on end (or until the geologist or res eng drops off to sleep next to them), and is getting 10% of the total job cost plus his normal big wedge. Set my snooze record of 17 hours straight during a casing run in Gulf of Mex.

No shifts. If running through or close to target depth it was always 24/7, and trust the guys to wake you up if anything happened. Could snatch a cpl hours sleep during bit changes, but i;d only wake up feeling like s**t and needing more sleep. Nothing weird about 40-50 hrs without sleep. Doing multiple cores at depth is a pain also...town wants to know results immediately so couldnt even snatch naps between cores coming up with round trips at 2500m+ depth.

What sort of busted arse operator would have an allowance of 1 death per well ? Sounds bizarre even for that part of the world. Seen my share of accidents but never come across that number anywhere. Sounds a silly lot of people just to run 1 jackup, 75 odd x2 crews plus a few boats. Labour must've been cheap i suppose.

Last edited:
Drove from Rockhampton to Warragul without sleep. Had food poisoning and just wanted to get the drive over and done with. Don't know how I did it in hindsight. Had to pull over multiple times to be sick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting off long haul flights at night is the worst.

If it's morning at least you can force yourself awake for that day and by the time you go to sleep you're on the way to fixing your clock to the right time.

Getting in at night then not sleeping just ruins it.
So what time is the best time to arrive after a long haul flight if you can't sleep on a plane?

I got a couple:

Did a flight from Melb> LA> 6 hour stop off> Chicago. During that time I got drunk and sobered up (twice). Had the occasional "shut eye" but no sleep. Landed and went straight to a club where I got absolutely poleaxed. I was so tired when I went back to the hotel I sleep-walked for the first time in my life. I almost fell of a balcony about 20 odd floors up, very thankful I'm still alive after that. The only other time I sleep walk I smashed my face open on a glass table. I really don't know how people sleep walk regularly, that s**t is ****ed.

When I was younger I did a massive 5 day bender, and slept for around 36 hours straight afterwards. Can't honestly remember if I was tired or just collapsed but I assume I needed a rest :D

The most tired I recall was after 3 day music festival. I ran out of money and drugs and had to wait for a lift home with this guy. I got home and my face hurt, right near the bridge of my nose. I couldn't figure out why I was in pain until I looked in the mirror and saw my face, I had the biggest bags eyes and I realised the reason I hurt was probably because I hadn't shut my eyes in ages. That was a good 20 hour sleep afterwards.

*in' amphetamines, amirite?

Speed is a pleasant drug.
Fixed it for you.

'No one who doesn't have children is qualified to comment on being tired'
- every parent ever
Pretty much true.

I used go on multi day benders, pull all nighters consecutively for uni, worked myself to the bone, and probably the worst was when I flew from London (where it was snowing) to Singapore (where it was not) and landed at 8am and had to wait around until 3pm after not sleeping the entire flight (on the back of a two day bender that was my farewell). Ah youth.

But even all that pales in comparison to how ******* tired I was when my son was four months old. I was so tired I ended up with iritis because my eyes were giving up. Little campaigner screamed all night for months on end and I began to understand why shaken baby syndrome was a thing.

My wife had it worse - she had a 24 hour labour and then didn't get any sleep for three days.

Last edited:
My last day off was Xmas day. Since then I've done 16 hour plus work days every day so I'm pretty tired. But you do get used to it to an extent. In summer it's like that for 3 months with the occasional day off.

Having said that I've done plenty of 24 hour+ flights in economy and never sleep. Strangely I'm never really tired after. Either I'm too excited by reaching a new destination or I'm stoked to be home. So I don't really believe in jet lag, not for me anyway.

First time I flew from Brisbane to Paris I didn't sleep at all, landed at 10am then spent the entire day walking around Paris. Was completely spent by 7pm but made the most of the day.

I get tired, but not as much as most people. I rather be awake and living, than sleeping and dreaming.
I'm the same with jetlag, I'm not wasting holiday time sleeping!

the three events I can think of that have stuck with me the most are

driving around Boston lost at 2am after 30hours of travel on 3 planes to get to that point without sleep. I knew I had an hour to drive to get to the hotel, so tired and frustrated

a 6 week period at work where we had 3 guys to cover on call 24x7 we had two people on call each weekend doing 12 hour shifts (am or pm) and during the week you were on call 1 day out of 3 the other two you were doing the 9-5, one weekend off out of 3, we were already all stuffed from working that kind of roster with 5 people long term

the first couple of weeks after my daughter was born, and that was nothing compared to what my wife went through during that same period, I think that first month or two for her was more brutal than anything I've ever been through

Relatively new to the military, did a base defence exercise where you were supposed to do your main job, security duty and then have the third shift off. Trouble was I had what we called a secondary duty for another boss and was too young, eager and stupid to tell my three bosses about eachother. So five days later, maybe two hours sleep and a ton of caffeine onboard. Somehow drove home at the end, sat down on my bed early on the Friday afternoon to take off my boots. Dozed for a few "minutes", had my shower, turned the tele on and wondered why live AFL was on a Friday afternoon... I think though that at least one of my co-workers was more tired as I was told to act strangely on the last day so they could practise arresting someone so he came over stopped me, asked the questions then locked me in the cell as part of the process - all good except I am not sure locking me in a cell and leaving me my loaded rifle, armour, radio etc was quite right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back