Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Waits is my litmus test for prospective friends!!

haha, well you'd better welcome me into the inner circle!

love Tom Waits, I like virtually everything of his but Rain Dogs is just amazing - the guitarist you can hear on this track (and quite a few others on that album) Marc Ribot, is a bit of a unique player - love his work on this album.

Like I said I like heaps of Tom Waits stuff, but I reeeeally got into Nighthawks at the Diner a few years ago, I listened to that album for months on end ... he's a treasure.

edit: found his live concert movie Big Time a few years ago, not sure if it survived the move to Cairns or not though - regardless, it is crazy-good.

haha, well you'd better welcome me into the inner circle!

love Tom Waits, I like virtually everything of his but Rain Dogs is just amazing - the guitarist you can hear on this track (and quite a few others on that album) Marc Ribot, is a bit of a unique player - love his work on this album.

Like I said I like heaps of Tom Waits stuff, but I reeeeally got into Nighthawks at the Diner a few years ago, I listened to that album for months on end ... he's a treasure.

edit: found his live concert movie Big Time a few years ago, not sure if it survived the move to Cairns or not though - regardless, it is crazy-good.
I was hooked after an early album, Closing Time.
He got me through years of Uni study- the perfect diversion was to put on a Tom Waits vinyl after getting bogged down with lecture notes and revision.
Sometimes he is almost vaudeville.

I was hooked after an early album, Closing Time.
He got me through years of Uni study- the perfect diversion was to put on a Tom Waits vinyl after getting bogged down with lecture notes and revision.
Sometimes he is almost vaudeville.

oooh yeah that version of Way Down in the Hole is friggin' great; from that Big Time release (originally recorded for Frank's Wild Years - another amazing album).

some very vaudevillian stuff on Nighthawks at the Diners, stuff like Step Right Up too.

He's a superb lyricist.
I can take or leave lyrics depending on mood; I can be perfectly happy with the equivalent of ''she loves you yeah yeah yeah'' if the tune is strong enough) but Waits is always worth tuning in for if you want an evocative story-teller.

As far as his musicianship, a lot of the songs are deceptively simple, and yet he is clearly a clever and accomplished musician too.

oooh yeah that version of Way Down in the Hole is friggin' great; from that Big Time release (originally recorded for Frank's Wild Years - another amazing album).

some very vaudevillian stuff on Nighthawks at the Diners, stuff like Step Right Up too.

He's a superb lyricist.
I can take or leave lyrics depending on mood; I can be perfectly happy with the equivalent of ''she loves you yeah yeah yeah'' if the tune is strong enough) but Waits is always worth tuning in for if you want an evocative story-teller.

As far as his musicianship, a lot of the songs are deceptively simple, and yet he is clearly a clever and accomplished musician too.
Are you into-
Jethro Tull
Steely Dan
Moody Blues
Dylan
Cohen
Diamond
Jackson Browne
Al Stewart?

Are you into-
Jethro Tull
Steely Dan
Moody Blues
Dylan
Cohen
Diamond
Jackson Browne
Al Stewart?

No - I'm back out of the circle, aren't I? :'(

I'm not not into any of those artists, I just don't really know them beyond a few songs here and there for each - I've been meaning to check out Steely Dan a little bit, I'm not entirely sure it's my thing but my old man was raving to me about one of their albums a little while ago and I did like the song or two that I listened to - pretty sure they album was 'Nightfly'. I have a massive Dylan blindspot that I am unlikely to address this late in proceedings; he is so revered that I am happy to accept fault for my lack of appreciation/investigation.

I love a lot of that 60's Motown and Stax/Volt type of soul and rhythm and blues.

I love a lot of late 70s/early 80s stuff; huge Talking Heads fan.

I quite like a lot of African stuff, Fela, King Sunny Ade, Ali Farka Toure - in fact music from other cultures in general is pretty interesting imo.

I still try to keep a toe in the waters of modern music, not so much super-commercial stuff as just things I hear or stumble across.

One more from me and then I'll stop clogging up the thread; beautiful song with some serious rhythm too; the drums, bongos and tambourine are really well recorded but the melody and horns really shine through - lyrics are lovely, too:

No - I'm back out of the circle, aren't I? :'(

I'm not not into any of those artists, I just don't really know them beyond a few songs here and there for each - I've been meaning to check out Steely Dan a little bit, I'm not entirely sure it's my thing but my old man was raving to me about one of their albums a little while ago and I did like the song or two that I listened to - pretty sure they album was 'Nightfly'. I have a massive Dylan blindspot that I am unlikely to address this late in proceedings; he is so revered that I am happy to accept fault for my lack of appreciation/investigation.

I love a lot of that 60's Motown and Stax/Volt type of soul and rhythm and blues.

I love a lot of late 70s/early 80s stuff; huge Talking Heads fan.

I quite like a lot of African stuff, Fela, King Sunny Ade, Ali Farka Toure - in fact music from other cultures in general is pretty interesting imo.

I still try to keep a toe in the waters of modern music, not so much super-commercial stuff as just things I hear or stumble across.

One more from me and then I'll stop clogging up the thread; beautiful song with some serious rhythm too; the drums, bongos and tambourine are really well recorded but the melody and horns really shine through - lyrics are lovely, too:

Great reply.
Entrenched in the inner circle.
It's impossible to hog this thread.

oh yeah, I do know that Steely Dan song - trying to get one of my brats into bed, will give it a listen after I've got her down ..
Somehow I thought you were my vintage, but your music appreciation is very mature and impressive. I learn heaps on this thread, and from youtube

Somehow I thought you were my vintage, but your music appreciation is very mature and impressive. I learn heaps on this thread, and from youtube

nothing like sinking down a youtube hole and discovering - or rediscovering - music.

I do like a few Steve Miller band song's btw ..

oh yeah and Reelin' in the Years is way better than I remember it Vdubs - only really recalled the chorus, but it's very very clever

Last edited:
Probably different to what you are referring to with GB and T5 ... but Im never surprised that songs can sound close to each other, often even the best songs are inspired by others.. I listened to McCartney ( around the 16min mark) explain is inspiration for Blackbird.. or Procol Harum's whiter shade of pale..

To me it what the artist contribute to the art. Even some songs that sample other songs , if done cleverly can say their work is more than just an infringement. Is all art inspired by other? probably,

How does Neil put it? It's all one song.

As he rightly knows...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lennon and mcCartney... my guess there could be whole thread on them and their attributes somewhere. Id say Lennon was the more acerbic, more cutting, more abstract , McCartney the more soft, the more eccentric, sentimental and feelgood. Of course both could supply examples of either.. but at the best they were still in their 20's and the two balanced each other. Both extremely talented. I guess if you look at WA songs.. that McCartney shows his range, he could be hard and silly..going from Helter Skelter, USSR to Rocky Raccoon ..Lennon the sadder and more cutting Dear Prudence, Warm Gun and Glass onion. Such an eclectic album. Has there ever been a better double album?

Is it any wonder Harrison's guitar was weeping, he was screaming for a chance to do more .. and Star wrote don't pass me by. They were the Billy Brownless duo compared to the Gary Ablett duo. How could you get the ball passed to you standing next to him.

I think looking at the post beatles work, both still produced som brillant work but the speration saw their balance was gone. Lennon become a tad bitter ..with stuff like sleep at night .. and McCartney no long had albums full of quality more 2 or 3 songs( slipping backwards to a normal high quality songwriter).

I do think Martins influence helped in arrangement and education early in the 60's but like any child they outgrew the parent , and needed to stretch their legs. Probably much earlier than when they eventually broke up. Perhap if they had done that they they could have come back at a convenient time but its hardly unique in a band dynamic to bust up and become bitter after living together so long. Probably worse than most divorce its probably one reason why I like Almost Famous so much.

The more I read about Lennon and his life post-Fab in the 70s, I'm amazed he actually made it into a studio. Those weekenders with Nilsson that went on for months, the hard drugs, the booze...Bowie and Iggy left the USA to escape it. Lennon just kept it up for years. McCartney was smart enough to surround himself in a band again for the structure, whereas Lennon really did go AWOL without one. It was only when he got back with Ono later in the decade that he seemed to find his feet again.

The more I read about Lennon and his life post-Fab in the 70s, I'm amazed he actually made it into a studio. Those weekenders with Nilsson that went on for months, the hard drugs, the booze...Bowie and Iggy left the USA to escape it. Lennon just kept it up for years. McCartney was smart enough to surround himself in a band again for the structure, whereas Lennon really did go AWOL without one. It was only when he got back with Ono later in the decade that he seemed to find his feet again.

The May Pang Lost weekend period? To me, it was the slightly sad part of Double Fantasy , it was like he had been struggling with happiness all his life, and he had finally found himself. He survived all the Brandy Alexanders and had experienced the Cold Turkey ... only to have a NutJob shoot him.

nothing like sinking down a youtube hole and discovering - or rediscovering - music.

oh yeah and Reelin' in the Years is way better than I remember it Vdubs - only really recalled the chorus, but it's very very clever
this a million times :)

I've lost hours of sleep doing it in bed, Ipad and earphones. Just going deeper and deeper, wider and wider. There is so much great music out there.

RIP Dusty Hill
so that's ZZ Top done :(
GettyImages-487854608-H-2021.jpg

something modern?

Probably not new born but for me ...this is certainly in nappies. Id heard the song of course , and saw a cover on spicks and specks... but I do think the colour coordination in the video is sharp and distinctive. Typical of a lot of music ..one can get a very different feel from the music than the words.

and then have you ever seen a youtube vid ...and thought , lucky mongrels, I loved to have been there...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back