Rules The new man on the mark rule is utterly ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

and sometimes it is bad to create a situation where a clearly inferior team has a "chance". I mean look at soccer, where an inferior team can win because of one really good or lucky shot at goal, even with the other team basically dominating the rest of the game. Not sure we would want that in AFL.

This is really no different to a team that has heaps more scoring shots but ends up kicking themselves out of it and losing. The better team doesn’t always win in footy either.

I'm in the minority by liking games that aren't over by half time?

As for 'easily fixed', some rule changes will tend to lead to bigger blow outs. This may be one.

Your in the minority because you like a boring slog that has more emphasis on congestion and not allowing the ball to move in a fluid motion. Yesterday’s game was a boring slog up until the last few minutes, the majority do not enjoy it. It’s why one day cricket has declined in popularity so much. You can walk away for most of the game come back at the end and watch the last few overs, difference is in footy we’ll watch the last few minutes. And if that continues the game slowly dies just like ODI’s are yesterday’s news.

Your in the minority because you like a boring slog that has more emphasis on congestion and not allowing the ball to move in a fluid motion. Yesterday’s game was a boring slog up until the last few minutes, the majority do not enjoy it. It’s why one day cricket has declined in popularity so much. You can walk away for most of the game come back at the end and watch the last few overs, difference is in footy we’ll watch the last few minutes. And if that continues the game slowly dies just like ODI’s are yesterday’s news.
So how good were the new rules yesterday?

The majority only care if their team wins or loses, if what you say is true why have the crowds and ratings not dropped off by this majority you talk of who are only interested in uncontested bruise free footy. Why have these people been attending and watching the last 10-20 years? when were they going to walk away?
The AFL have done bloody well to maintain their crowds and support at the same time they killed off Aussie Rules footy and changed it to this hybrid version of our once great sport.

The majority only care if their team wins or loses, if what you say is true why have the crowds and ratings not dropped off by this majority you talk of who are only interested in uncontested bruise free footy. Why have these people been attending and watching the last 10-20 years? when were they going to walk away?
The AFL have done bloody well to maintain their crowds and support at the same time they killed off Aussie Rules footy and changed it to this hybrid version of our once great sport.

The majority wether it be forums, radio or tv prefer the new rules.

I’ve seen you write the hybrid version a fair few times and I’ll bet anything your parents and grandparents said the same thing when you were young, maybe they never used the word hybrid but it woulda been along the same lines. What we are watching now will not be what people are watching in twenty years time. Your living in the past. Footy is not ever going back to the glorified version of kick to kick ever.

If you guys are happy with 18 v 17 , which is what happens when a player stands on the mark, then good luck to you.
I dont care what effect it has had on the game, its still wrong and still ridiculous to me.
But Im beyond letting this sh*t worry me excessively now days.
Have at it.

You don't need to man the mark.

I know we will be, season has started exactly how it always does with some upsets.
Tell me what impact the rules had on yesterday’s game?

It would have been a darn sight worse under the old slog fest rules. Most likely halve the scores and halve the small amount of open play.

Like I said in the game day thread last years grand finalist that still plays yesterday’s game style barely beating a bottom 4 side is an indication that they haven’t adapted at all and will struggle against the top sides.

It would have been a darn sight worse under the old slog fest rules. Most likely halve the scores and halve the small amount of open play.

Like I said in the game day thread last years grand finalist that still plays yesterday’s game style barely beating a bottom 4 side is an indication that they haven’t adapted at all and will struggle against the top sides.
Most likely not. Scoring is not up. Yesterday the defences got on top and even though Geelong looked a superior side for much of the day we got a fantastic finish. It was in the top 3 matches of the weekend for sure.
Upsets happen. Last year the premier lost to - got smashed by - a bottom 4 team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most likely not. Scoring is not up. Yesterday the defences got on top and even though Geelong looked a superior side for much of the day we got a fantastic finish. It was in the top 3 matches of the weekend for sure.
Upsets happen. Last year the premier lost to - got smashed by - a bottom 4 team.

top 3 😂😂😂😂you’ve got to be kidding. It was a s**t truck game full stop........top 3 game, it’ll give me a chuckle all day long😂😂😂😂

The majority wether it be forums, radio or tv prefer the new rules.

I’ve seen you write the hybrid version a fair few times and I’ll bet anything your parents and grandparents said the same thing when you were young, maybe they never used the word hybrid but it woulda been along the same lines. What we are watching now will not be what people are watching in twenty years time. Your living in the past. Footy is not ever going back to the glorified version of kick to kick ever.

I am all for progression, let the players evolve, the coaches evolve, the tactics, the strategy etc. Always play the same sport though. Changing the rules is not evolving it is changing the sport. Changing them yearly is seriously changing the actual sport.
You didn't answer the question, why have the majority of fans as you claim not turned away with the so called crap footy of the last 10 years or longer?

Which games could you argue were better?
Collingwood v Brisbane obviously game of the round, Adelaide v Gold Coast was good. The only other game not over at half time was GWS v Melbourne.

Tigers/Swans was good to see the ball movement. I also liked the Carlton game.

Grrr Topkent

How's those low scores going lads? You've gone a bit quiet after yesterday's games

Starting to see how much of an affect the rule is having. 4 overs 2 unders so far in Round 1.

Tex:

Most touches since R17 2019 (Suns :drunk:)
Most marks since R17 2019 (Suns :drunk:)
Most kicks since Round 13 2019
Most goals since Round 23 2019

All against one of the best defences/teams in the comp

Sydney biggest score at the Gabba ever. Biggest score since Round 12, 2018.

Melbourne Freo was low scoring. I watched the game and it was still open. Inside 50s still high (61-57). Both teams just couldn't score (efficiency 48-40%)

Reading this thread for the first time. Not hard to understand why this might've been the case with 16 minutes less game time in 2020...?

But for neutral viewers you switch both games off at half time and don't come back.

Tigers game was still close enough at halftime. I found myself having a nap for half a game yesterday and that's despite having a few bets going. It was boring and ugly. The only "good" thing is it was close.

To be clear, yesterday's game was horrible. But AFLX was also horrible, and it was designed to pretty much be a goalfest.

I guess I don't accept that the defensive side of the game is not a legitimate part of the spectacle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back