Rules The new man on the mark rule is utterly ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams will get used to it if it increases scoring that’s a good thing. We don’t want low scoring defensive scrubs because teams set up defensive zones all the time. Remove them they won’t be missed at all

yeh one of the things I’m always amazed about is Aussie rules fans pissing and moaning about union, soccer & league and how boring it is but they’ll sit through a game which has become built around defensive zones just like league, soccer & union but without the offside rule. And when a rule is bought in to try to ease the use of defensive zones they’ll cry “it’s destroying the fabric of the game”.

Good we want it easier going through the corridor. That is a positive not a negative that you seem to think. Creates scoring and positive flow rather than games being stop start. The rule is fine

The only thing we will notice is a rise in 50m penalties and free goals, the game will be played exactly the same way and it won't be any easier to move the ball around.

Think they should get rid of tackling too and bouncing the ball when running. That way we can reduce the contest to whoever wins the ball in dispute out of a centre bounce. The player with the footy could just stroll all the way up the ground and take a shot. Would increase scoring. Could even increase it even more if they eliminate the centre bounce and just give the footy to one of the players 20m out from goal, no need to waist all that time moving the footy from the centre to scoring range. More scoring. Need to make it fair though either teams alternate getting the footy or if that becomes too boring (I'm sure it won't, there will be far too much excitement generated by all the scoring) introduce a coin toss to decide who gets the footy. Maybe this is going too far though it might resemble gambling a little too much for the AFL's liking. Pretty soon the afl will realise they don't need all these players, just one on each team will do, don't need field umpires or boundary umpires either. Or grounds with two ends really. Imagine how profitable the AFL would become, increased revenues from all the extra advertising in the five minute breaks between scores (did I mention that already) and all the extra eyeballs watching this captivating new version of the sport AND lower expenses. More bonuses for AFL staff they could even make a good case for a payrise. Eventually they could even shrink the ground even further, and the goals and change the ball, it's a funny shape and too unpredictable when it comes to scoring. Get rid of behinds too - not high scoring enough and make goals worth 25 points each. More scoring. Imagine if the target was something small that throwing something small like a handsized beanbag into it would be considered an acceptable challenge, not too challenging though, scoring is what brings the fans so need to remember that. With a bit of planning and foresight I reckon nearly anyone could play AFL and nearly anywhere. Retired folks could even play it on cruise ships. There would be a massive market for this sort of content and it's a sure path to global domination of the sporting landscape. More scoring and more money for AFL staff. It would be good for footy.

The only thing we will notice is a rise in 50m penalties and free goals, the game will be played exactly the same way and it won't be any easier to move the ball around.

less pressure and more options for the kicker should make it easier to move the ball around. It also moved the game towards drafting footballers with foot skills as an advantage which should be a good thing

Any glaring issues regarding this rule last night in the Carlton vs Saints game ? Any 50’s or delayed play on calls etc. ?

Last edited:
Think they should get rid of tackling too and bouncing the ball when running. That way we can reduce the contest to whoever wins the ball in dispute out of a centre bounce. The player with the footy could just stroll all the way up the ground and take a shot. Would increase scoring. Could even increase it even more if they eliminate the centre bounce and just give the footy to one of the players 20m out from goal, no need to waist all that time moving the footy from the centre to scoring range. More scoring. Need to make it fair though either teams alternate getting the footy or if that becomes too boring (I'm sure it won't, there will be far too much excitement generated by all the scoring) introduce a coin toss to decide who gets the footy. Maybe this is going too far though it might resemble gambling a little too much for the AFL's liking. Pretty soon the afl will realise they don't need all these players, just one on each team will do, don't need field umpires or boundary umpires either. Or grounds with two ends really. Imagine how profitable the AFL would become, increased revenues from all the extra advertising in the five minute breaks between scores (did I mention that already) and all the extra eyeballs watching this captivating new version of the sport AND lower expenses. More bonuses for AFL staff they could even make a good case for a payrise. Eventually they could even shrink the ground even further, and the goals and change the ball, it's a funny shape and too unpredictable when it comes to scoring. Get rid of behinds too - not high scoring enough and make goals worth 25 points each. More scoring. Imagine if the target was something small that throwing something small like a handsized beanbag into it would be considered an acceptable challenge, not too challenging though, scoring is what brings the fans so need to remember that. With a bit of planning and foresight I reckon nearly anyone could play AFL and nearly anywhere. Retired folks could even play it on cruise ships. There would be a massive market for this sort of content and it's a sure path to global domination of the sporting landscape. More scoring and more money for AFL staff. It would be good for footy.

You must be a scientologist

less pressure and more options for the kicker should make it easier to move the ball around. It also moved the game towards drafting footballers with foot skills as an advantage which should be a good thing

I would of thought high skill level would be a priority in drafting AFL players? The AFL are trying to make it sound like kicking over a players head is hard to hit a target when in actual fact it is very very simple and any player with moderate skills can do that.

It really sounds like we are discussing Auskick doesn't it? less pressure for the kiddies and lets make it easier for them. lol

Any glaring issues regarding this rule last night in the Carlton vs Saints game ? Any 50’s or delayed play on calls etc. ?
One, but the rule was lsightly better officiated. The 50m was against McKernan, Saints were trying to adopt a tactic of sprinting 5m backward from the mark to avoid the 'stand' requirement. McKernan delayed then tried to do this but the Umpire had already set him, worked a couple of other times for the Saints throughout the night though. Rule is continually developing, didn't hear any of this '3 seconds' s**t last weekend. Also umpires were placing players on the mark exactly (i.e at the interesction of the line) when the ball went out of bounds on the full. This is different from the egular field where a player can choose to stand the mark almost anywhere within a 5m raidus oft he mark if its within 3 seconds of doing so.

I dunnot, still didn't like it. Umpre screaming "staaaand" just seemed way unnecessary for the incredibly limited benefit it produced.

So be it. Do the right thing and stand the mark without moving

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they could make 1 change where the man on the mark is free to move backwards out of the 5 meter area , then I think I’d be ok with it.

Its going to take a while for me getting used to a defender standing 45m-50m out forced to stand still while the forward is running in. A fundamental of defending used to be making the player kicking for goal kick it right over you so that they couldn't easily get that extra distance on their kick.

I think that part can and will be changed. Different if you are lining up for goal.

I’m fine with the rule change, just seems logical really.

For people against the change, often it’s people against any change ever, but there are also those who say the game isn’t as good to watch as it could be or used to be (often the same people).

Thing is the rules of the game have never been left alone, ever. Same with other sports, things always change and evolve.

Not saying change for changes sake is the way to go, but stubborn resistance to any change isn’t the answer either.

It really sounds like we are discussing Auskick doesn't it? less pressure for the kiddies and lets make it easier for them. lol

its Nothing like Auskick. I watch Auskick every Saturday morning when the season is on. Plus Auskick has never had kids guarding the marking area by ten metres either side, pushing players to the boundary, cutting off the corridor or trying to waist time so their 6 year old teammates can set up a defensive zone. Lol

its Nothing like Auskick. I watch Auskick every Saturday morning when the season is on. Plus Auskick has never had kids guarding the marking area by ten metres either side, pushing players to the boundary, cutting off the corridor or trying to waist time so their 6 year old teammates can set up a defensive zone. Lol

I would love to see some overenthusiastic coach trying to teach his U6 team defensive zones and how that would go.

I would of thought high skill level would be a priority in drafting AFL players? The AFL are trying to make it sound like kicking over a players head is hard to hit a target when in actual fact it is very very simple and any player with moderate skills can do that.

it is very simple but when you’ve basically corralled the player into only having the option of kicking over the player on the marks head you should know where to set up your zone. Add in a bit of time waisting and it’s plainly obvious it turned into something other than just manning the mark.

I’m fine with the rule change, just seems logical really.

For people against the change, often it’s people against any change ever, but there are also those who say the game isn’t as good to watch as it could be or used to be (often the same people).

Thing is the rules of the game have never been left alone, ever. Same with other sports, things always change and evolve.

Not saying change for changes sake is the way to go, but stubborn resistance to any change isn’t the answer either.
you are on the wrong forum. Your post is too sensible

it is very simple but when you’ve basically corralled the player into only having the option of kicking over the player on the marks head you should know where to set up your zone. Add in a bit of time waisting and it’s plainly obvious it turned into something other than just manning the mark.

I don't know why the AFL are delaying what they want, just put the two big lines across the ground and have zones where players cannot leave their area. 6 on 6 in 3 areas of the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back