FTA-TV The Newsroom

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon I fully understood about 70% of that episode.

I think maybe I need to wait til the end of the season and watch it all at once. I'm finding the whole narrative structure very confusing, jumping around and trying to remember where everything is up to.

that was crap (and i'm a big fan)

fall into our laps - wow bad
smug - wow bad X3
Jims story - end it now
little african kid designed to teach a lesson - my god stop

that was crap (and i'm a big fan)

fall into our laps - wow bad
smug - wow bad X3
Jims story - end it now
little african kid designed to teach a lesson - my god stop

Have to agree it was a weird episode. Jims whole self exile on the Romney Campaign is doing nothing for me.

The fall into our laps was poor story telling. The attempted apologies were meant to be humorous but just came across lame. Although I did like Will's final discussion with her. He is such a cool guy.

I never quite understood why Maggie needed to go to Africa in the first place? So Africa could be her thing? I find that typically American in how condescending that is. So a kid is killed and they have to have a good old American self-centred feel fest about it. Showing that they could never understand the complexities of life in a third world country in the first place. Yet she was hoping to become the expert on all things Africa for the newsroom? That just demonstrated everything I hate about Americans right there.

They're telling the story as a huge flashback with occasional jumps forward to the lawyer questioning them about Genoa and then Maggies African disaster. It's not working really.

So did Daniel really exist or was it just Margaret's imagination

I'm not sure where you got the idea that he didn't exist. The only thing that was imagination was her reading to him on the bus after they got away, but I think that was just to show what she wanted to happen and to give us viewers an extra shock when it was revealed that Daniel had died. That moment ripped my heart out actually.

I dont get the "it happened" reference..!?!?!?

I reckon I fully understood about 70% of that episode.

I didn't actually think it was that confusing, but maybe I've got it all wrong. My thoughts are that ACN reported on Operation Genoa and is now being sued. Maggie and Jerry attended a meeting with a General who (according to Maggie's repeated statements) did NOT confirm that white phosphorous had been used. Jerry went ahead with the story anyway and suggested that the General DID confirm that white phosphorous was used. So the legal team are trying to find a way to stop ACN getting royally reamed and are hoping to be able to discredit Maggie's recollection of the meeting by proving she isn't in a mentally fit state. But her interview shows that although her trip to Africa did upset her, she is definitely fine mentally.

Does that seem right to anyone else?

Also, I haven't checked it up myself (to not spoil myself), but Operation Genoa is fairly similar to a real-life story based on Operation Tailwind if anyone is interested in that.

I never quite understood why Maggie needed to go to Africa in the first place? So Africa could be her thing? I find that typically American in how condescending that is. So a kid is killed and they have to have a good old American self-centred feel fest about it. Showing that they could never understand the complexities of life in a third world country in the first place. Yet she was hoping to become the expert on all things Africa for the newsroom? That just demonstrated everything I hate about Americans right there.

I think she was originally just trying to escape her life in New York, which is pretty fair considering she lost her boyfriend, her potential boyfriend and her best friend, the former two at her workplace and the latter at her home. I'd be wanting to get out of there as well.

And she chose Africa because they didn't have anyone there yet and she wanted to make a name for herself in her career. That she was ill-equipped for it is more a failure of her managers than her for desiring to go. Possibly she just wanted to go because she had a feeling she wanted to work in Africa. I actually share that feeling after spending a month in Zambia about 10 years ago. I desperately want to go and work there for an extended period of time. There is just something about it. I don't think you should use that to support an anti-American stance ... there are plenty of proper reasons to do that instead!

Ugh lame. Put all the blame on the dastardly recurring character.

Would have been better if it was a genuine screwup that portrayed the media as greedy and self-serving. But I guess they can't compromise the flawless altruism of the regular cast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Jim's speech on the bus this week is one of the worst things I've seen on tv. That was really terrible, it was stupid and unprofessional - as a non-journo around the other side of the world, even I know how ridiculous his speech was, and he made himself look like a naive, douche bag.

indeed, it was like he was trying a bit of a grand gesture-esque "O captain my captain" (dead poets society). . but failed badly. (do you ever wonder how much longer they stood on their desks after the credits started rolling? I don't know why but I think about that stuff, american movies are full of those types of scenes and it annoys me. So I guess I was pretty glad to see Jim dumped out of the bus with the other chumps.)

But as you say, a bit naive, did he really think everyone was going to band together and they were going to change the world right then and there? OH GOD AS IF.

not sure if i need to spoiler all this but i will . .

i'm not sure if they meant it this way but i think it was really, really, really, obvious that the basketball game in the background of the interview would lead to the discovery.

The discovery which i might add seemed to take forever, i am surprised they didn't stretch it out for another few episodes and have even more scenes of little instances pushing mac towards the final dramatic REALISATION THAT OMG he chopped up the interview.

mac reheating some soup in the tearoom watching the numbers of the microwave countdown. . .
chinstroker2.gif

mac standing on the sidewalk waiting to cross the road looking at one of those crosswalk countdown clocks.
chinstroker2.gif

mac at home one night with one of those hair removal strips on her upper lip looking at her stopwatch making sure she doesn't leave it on for more than a minute
chinstroker2.gif

mac watch the "sweet sweet candy" episode of the simpsons and the penny finally drops when she notices the clock in the background of homer's interview. . .MENDOOZAAAA!!!
nooo.gif

I wonder though whether in all reality she would have handled the firing a bit better, first informing charlie eyebrows to get a huge cache of lawyers together and then call the guy to a meeting to tear him a new one and control the situation a little better.

But beyond that for a show that seems really up itself and is full of people who are so 100% committed to their jobs and the principles around their jobs (that honestly at times it makes me sick) I found it all just a bit obvious/simple/easy/convenient though.

Am I expected to believe that this whole season's major plot-line more or less hinges on a really experienced and senior staff member who decides to just chuck his career in the toilet with a shoddy chop job where he doesn't even put in a decent amount of effort to cover his tracks.

Isn't he meant to be a bit of an expert in his field?

I did find the whole "oh we have to resign!!" a bit OTT, but does fit in with these characters who all think they're god's gift to morality.

I felt they'd be saying "heck him, let's smash him so hard that the only job he will ever get is reading the news on the radio station in Chester's Mill (Under the Dome)" etc etc.

And then get jane fonda & the formidable lady lawyer type to tag team him into oblivion.

So where to now? We're about halfway into the season? Are we going to see all our favourite newsroom peeps in court?

Perhaps questioned under duress?

slumdog3.jpg

"torture me all you want, i'm not revealling my sources!!"

Oh and there were some more shots of maggie looking DIRE last night, long hair, short hair, it just doesn't matter.

I just read this re-cap, which contains this pearler:

TIME’S UP | Meanwhile, back in New York, the news division is getting the first word about the storming of the U.S. Embassy in Cairo and the consulate in Benghazi. It’s not too crazy, though, for one of the control-room guys to bring a segment countdown clock into the newsroom to show Mac. I assume he did so because the giant, flashing neon arrow pointing to Jerry’s deceit was being used by someone else?

http://tvline.com/2013/08/25/the-newsroom-season-2-recap-jerry-gets-caught/

[/spolier]

Jane Fonda at the end was fantastic and really made this weeks ep. I have enjoyed seeing Marcia Gay Harden I really like her as an actress (I loved her as the crazy religious woman in The Mist). The only let down was Deep Throat blaming Charlie for the death of his son. ACN didn't shoot heroin up his sons vein. We all make choices in life.

Apart from that revenge twist with Charlie, the rest of this episode was exceptional. The performances of the cast amazing. This is such a good show.

Jane Fonda at the end was fantastic and really made this weeks ep. I have enjoyed seeing Marcia Gay Harden I really like her as an actress (I loved her as the crazy religious woman in The Mist). The only let down was Deep Throat blaming Charlie for the death of his son. ACN didn't shoot heroin up his sons vein. We all make choices in life.

Apart from that revenge twist with Charlie, the rest of this episode was exceptional. The performances of the cast amazing. This is such a good show.

I actually thought that was done really well and reflected things that happen in life. As neutral observers we can see that the death could in no way be attributed to ACN and certainly not to Charlie. But parents are not neutral and more often than not the last to admit fault in their offspring. Dealing with the death of a child is rightly thought to be one of the hardest things anyone has to experience and I'm sure shifting the responsibility to someone else is incredibly common.

That scene spoke volumes about Charlie's character. He knew that there would be nothing he could say or do to appease his informant, so he simply told the truth. But he didn't get angry or show any disrespect and took a father's rage on the chin ... well, on the cheek really.

I watched the first episode with my sister and another friend last night as well and realised that Charlie has been my favourite character throughout. Love every scene he is in!

Rumours are that Sorkin is going to ditch the show. The ratings have been respectable and there's been a third season offer on the table from HBO for a couple of months, but still no renewal announcement.

Sorkin has three films in the works, one of which he's both writing and directing, and the speculation is that he just doesn't have the ability to fit it all in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back