Prediction The night before; sliders and bolters

Remove this Banner Ad

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Gould seems to be slipping as we approach draft day? about a month ago i was hoping for Pickett at around 40 but it seems hes breaking into top 15/10 territory now?

'inside word' journos now have De Koning top 20

on draft even who are the sliders / bolters? any late news?

cheers and go tigers

Attachments

• 1574737167609.png
    1574737167609.png
    1 MB · Views: 247
Pickett the big bolter, Twomey running with Melbourne at pick 10 taking him.

Dylan Williams an obvious slider, injury killed his year after being talked up as a top 5 chance at the start of the season.

Taheny a slider, IMO could get his way into the 40's or even 50's come draft day

Harrison Jones looks like he could be a top 20 bolter too for teams that want height

I think every year the sliders fall in to certain categories:

1. Can he actually kick midfielder?
Dev Robertson, Caleb Serong

2. I'm not dealing with that injury.
Brodie Kemp

3.His character isn't right
Elijah Taylor

4. Talented forward overhyped early but limited athlete and defensive work or production
(last years was the kid who went to North) Dylan Williams, Taheny

Same goes for the bolters:
1. I love that athleticism
Will Day, Sam De Koning, Bergman

2. Yeah but he's tall
De Koning, Harry Jones

3. Actually that injury is fine
Cooper Stephens

The consensus opinion on the high floor, low ceilings guys is often right but the rankings of less predictable high upside guys is far more variable club to club which makes those guys harder to rank. And every year there's a select bunch of them that the media get wind of who are initially ranked high without a great deal to back it up.

We've been told over and over that this draft is very subjective after the top few picks, and people will have wildly different opinions on a lot of players. So I expect to see a lot of sliders and bolters compared to the "consensus" of draft watchers. Pickett and Day are the obvious ones that have been whispered. I wonder if someone might go a bit early on Philp because of his tackling skills. If that's the reason Pickett is being discussed so high, why not Philp too?

• Banned
We've been told over and over that this draft is very subjective after the top few picks, and people will have wildly different opinions on a lot of players. So I expect to see a lot of sliders and bolters compared to the "consensus" of draft watchers. Pickett and Day are the obvious ones that have been whispered. I wonder if someone might go a bit early on Philp because of his tackling skills. If that's the reason Pickett is being discussed so high, why not Philp too?

Daniel Rioli, Bolton, Willy Rioli etc. have made forward pockets fashionable

uncle Marlion Picketts effort wouldnt have hurt either

Last edited:
Daniel Rioli, Bolton, Willy Rioli etc. have made forward pockets fashionable
Now pressure is great in the forward line but pressure is great all through the ground, and a guy with great speed and tackling like Philp can be damaging too. That's why I think someone may bite in the 20s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think every year the sliders fall in to certain categories:

1. Can he actually kick midfielder?
Dev Robertson, Caleb Serong

2. I'm not dealing with that injury.
Brodie Kemp

3.His character isn't right
Elijah Taylor

4. Talented forward overhyped early but limited athlete and defensive work or production
(last years was the kid who went to North) Dylan Williams, Taheny

Same goes for the bolters:
1. I love that athleticism
Will Day, Sam De Koning, Bergman

2. Yeah but he's tall
De Koning, Harry Jones

3. Actually that injury is fine
Cooper Stephens

The consensus opinion on the high floor, low ceilings guys is often right but the rankings of less predictable high upside guys is far more variable club to club which makes those guys harder to rank. And every year there's a select bunch of them that the media get wind of who are initially ranked high without a great deal to back it up.

whats wrong with Elijah Taylor? the reports were too vague for me to translate

whats wrong with Elijah Taylor? the reports were too vague for me to translate
I don't have specifics and I think with the success of Stack and even Marlion Pickett teams will take a chance. But the fact that he's in the 25-30 range and not the 10-15 range must be related to fitness, dedication, commitment to the defensive game because his attacking skills are phenomenal. If he was mocked at 10-15 on talent and then fell backwards it would be a typical slide of teams getting cold feet.

Young? Tipped to be top 3 since the champs now might go 10 or 8?
Where draft watchers rate a kid on talent isn’t exactly the same as where they will get drafted.

It’s the same with team recruiters. 2016 Lions recruiters had Hugh McCluggage as number 1 on their draft board, but he was drafted at 3.

I wonder if someone might go a bit early on Philp because of his tackling skills. If that's the reason Pickett is being discussed so high, why not Philp too?
Well, I called it, although he was an even bigger bolter than I thought! And Dow too. Robertson the big slider.

I have a feeling Mitchell Georgiades is going to be a bolter mid-high 20's

wasnt in the top 50 2 months ago
Good call, though like Philp, he was an even bigger bolter than we predicted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back