The numpty questions thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 15, 2003
Vegas
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If you are new to footy, new to this board or you have got a question that you think might be too silly to ask anywhere else. Then this is the thread for you.

The regular crew are banned from asking questions (but they wouldn’t need to, because they think they know it all already :p).

Anyone who tries to jump down someone’s throat for asking a question will get a big kick up the bum. Only good natured discussion allowed here.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Apologies if this has been asked/suggested before and my ignorance if it is somewhere on the Lions board, but is there a spot that we could list upcoming radio/TV interviews that the Lions are conducting in advance so that we are at least aware of them.

Case in point: Was over in Perth last week and a mate called me at 1800 WST and told me Possum was being interviewed on 6PR on their sport show. Once I knew, obvioulsy i tuned in, but if there was a spot to post this news many of you would have been able to jump on the 6PR website and listened - was a really good interview considering we don't hear from Possum too much.

Same if you know Browny or any other Lion will be on "On the Couch" or "Footy Show" or Sports Tonight etc. I don't have time to watch all footy related shows but if I knew prior to the show that a Lion was on I would tune in.

Also, I seemed to miss it every week but I know Browny used to do a spot on Sport 927 in Melbourne every Tues morning IIRC. Does anyone do anything in Brisbane on a regular basis on the equivalent to 3AW/6PR/5AA - isn't 4?? something up there?

With so many news outlets, if we had a spot to notify each other would be a great help considering most radio shows are available on line. I appreciate that sometimes, like last Friday on the way to dinner I heard Browny being interviewed, again on 6PR, but at least if i was home i could have posted that he was on - you get my drift?

Only a suggestion but everytime the Lions play out of Brisbane you will find interviews being conducted on some rather esoteric outlets that some of you may know of. Hopefully this gets some legs or as i said earlier, are we already doing this? Thoughts

Thanks Weevil! Funnily enough I love the thread name. :D

I can't think of anything right now but I'm sure I'll have some after next weekend. I'll have to remember then when I'm wondering why on earth something did or didn't merit a free kick!

ETA - actually, have thought of one. Can I get a rundown please of the positions on the field and what their main/intended role is? I get the obvious ones like full forward but what exactly is a centre half back supposed to do? (and I hope that's a real position or I really will show myself up as a numpty!!)

Jul 15, 2003
Vegas
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Apologies if this has been asked/suggested before and my ignorance if it is somewhere on the Lions board, but is there a spot that we could list upcoming radio/TV interviews that the Lions are conducting in advance so that we are at least aware of them.

Case in point: Was over in Perth last week and a mate called me at 1800 WST and told me Possum was being interviewed on 6PR on their sport show. Once I knew, obvioulsy i tuned in, but if there was a spot to post this news many of you would have been able to jump on the 6PR website and listened - was a really good interview considering we don't hear from Possum too much.

Same if you know Browny or any other Lion will be on "On the Couch" or "Footy Show" or Sports Tonight etc. I don't have time to watch all footy related shows but if I knew prior to the show that a Lion was on I would tune in.

Also, I seemed to miss it every week but I know Browny used to do a spot on Sport 927 in Melbourne every Tues morning IIRC. Does anyone do anything in Brisbane on a regular basis on the equivalent to 3AW/6PR/5AA - isn't 4?? something up there?

With so many news outlets, if we had a spot to notify each other would be a great help considering most radio shows are available on line. I appreciate that sometimes, like last Friday on the way to dinner I heard Browny being interviewed, again on 6PR, but at least if i was home i could have posted that he was on - you get my drift?

Only a suggestion but everytime the Lions play out of Brisbane you will find interviews being conducted on some rather esoteric outlets that some of you may know of. Hopefully this gets some legs or as i said earlier, are we already doing this? Thoughts

Don’t really think that is a numpty question, but it’s a pretty good idea.

Maybe we could make it a newsflash thread so it could include big stories as well as interview alerts. If people subscribed to the thread then they would be emailed the news straight away when something happened.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Think this is a great idea....JB used to do SEN every tuesday morning about 7.30, not sure about 927..........also not sure if he still does SEN as I now start work earlier and I dont hear much of the show.........Now here is a silly? question......what is a numpty question????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thankyou Weevil....over to you GabbaGirl or TBD.......what is a numpty question?? Does it mean stupid or silly??.....if so, then people won't ask questions, for fear of feeling silly, or being made fun of.....I thought having a question thread was for just those sort of odd little things we didn't or dont understand, but didn't like to ask.....

Feb 17, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What is the difference between a clanger and an ineffective kick?
I thought a clanger was a kick that goes out of bounds on the full or straight to the opposition, whereas an ineffective kick is every other one that doesn't get marked or picked up by your team mate (i.e. kick under 15 metres, kick into a contested situation, smothered kick, kick that goes out of bounds, etc).

Jul 15, 2003
Vegas
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought a clanger was a kick that goes out of bounds on the full or straight to the opposition, whereas an ineffective kick is every other one that doesn't get marked or picked up by your team mate (i.e. kick under 15 metres, kick into a contested situation, smothered kick, kick that goes out of bounds, etc).
Yeah, and also I think it can only be a clanger if you are not under pressure.

Jul 15, 2003
Vegas
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thankyou Weevil....over to you GabbaGirl or TBD.......what is a numpty question?? Does it mean stupid or silly??.....if so, then people won't ask questions, for fear of feeling silly, or being made fun of.....I thought having a question thread was for just those sort of odd little things we didn't or dont understand, but didn't like to ask.....

Yep it is for both those sorts of questions. If anyone tries to make fun of someone for asking a ‘silly’ question I will kick their bottom.

I had a "clangers" discussion with my husband. I thought Vossy explained on Kick 2 Kick (Did anyone watch that show? I've just recently discovered it online and it's great for teaching footy skills to my son. I'm learning a lot too! ;)) that clangers are when the ball gets turned over to the opposition e.g. by kicking it out on the full or directly to the opposition, etc.

Now can someone explain to me why Charman gets so many free kicks paid against him when to me it just looks like he's doing his job as a strong ruckman.

acuguy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 31, 2000
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In my humble opinion Charman gives away free kicks because

1.Reputation-hard and aggressive
2.Awkward body movements, Charman is quite clumsy in the ruck contest, i am sure he was that kid who always ended up elbowing someone or knocking into some poor unexpected kid
3.Footy smarts, he is still developing the subtle parts of our game that will develop further over time, as his evolution as a footballer continues i think he will give less away

Homer Jnr

Premiership Player
Nov 10, 2004
Sam's Town
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane
In my humble opinion Charman gives away free kicks because

1.Reputation-hard and aggressive
2.Awkward body movements, Charman is quite clumsy in the ruck contest, i am sure he was that kid who always ended up elbowing someone or knocking into some poor unexpected kid
3.Footy smarts, he is still developing the subtle parts of our game that will develop further over time, as his evolution as a footballer continues i think he will give less away

1. Someone with the aggression of Charmo is going to get a bad rap, he is passionate and fiery, and sadly the 5 foot 10 umpires are vengeful little weasels, and having a big bloke looking like a he could just about explode at any moment seems to be too tempting for the umps come a 50/50 call.

2. That just happens, and at his height, it is greatly exacerbated at times.

3.. Yep, the nuances of ruckwork are far deeper than expected. There is alot that goes into being a decent ruckman. I loathe being told to play there, as they have a great deal to be responsible for, and although they all get stick for being these tall docile creatures, they need to be extremely switched on to everything going on on the field.

Caraboo

Senior List
Aug 21, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I had a "clangers" discussion with my husband. I thought Vossy explained on Kick 2 Kick (Did anyone watch that show? I've just recently discovered it online and it's great for teaching footy skills to my son. I'm learning a lot too! ;)) that clangers are when the ball gets turned over to the opposition e.g. by kicking it out on the full or directly to the opposition, etc.

Ta for that. I always had it in my head that a clanger was an unforced error.

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
weevil

Thank you for the thread. This is my first posting.

I think numpty questions are for Big Footy lurkers who dont know anything about football and perhaps even less about how to work a discussion thread. But who would really like to come in and play.:D

Is there any where on the board where there is a write up of Sun coast Lions games?

Did any of this work??? Hello out there..........

ETA - actually, have thought of one. Can I get a rundown please of the positions on the field and what their main/intended role is? I get the obvious ones like full forward but what exactly is a centre half back supposed to do? (and I hope that's a real position or I really will show myself up as a numpty!!)

Hi GabbaGirl. I reckon it is best not to worry about all of the traditional names. They don't mean a great deal anymore. I think you could split the 22 into forwards, backs, rucks and then the rest (onballers, flankers).

The old position names basically reflected what part of the ground the player was expected to play in. For a long time, players stuck to a particular area of the ground. So, if you were named in the forward pocket, you wouldn't find yourself in the back half of the ground too often. In a way, it was a little like the "thirds" in netball, although there was no rule against a player moving into another area of the ground. Part of that was because there was limited interchange (once you were substituted, you were off for the whole game - like soccer) so players tended not to have the fitness to move up and down the ground like they do today.

The only players who regularly moved across "sections" were the ruckman, ruck rover and rover who were called "followers" as they followed the ball around the ground.

To answer your actual question, traditionally the centre half back's job was to stop the centre half forward from taking marks and kicking goals. It was essentially a defensive role, as were most, if not all, roles in the back 6 (ie back pockets (x2), fullback, half back flankers (x2) and centre half back).

These days, a centre half back is probably expected to play on a tall attacking player who plays a little further away from goal and may be a little more mobile than the full forward. That player might be someone like Nick Riewoldt or Travis Cloke who spend a lot of time outside the forward 50 zone - the CHB's role depends on how the opposition set up their forward lines. But the role of the centre half back also has an attacking dimension too. The better CHBs have a good offensive game and can be seen charging through the centre square either with the ball or to provide an extra option when their team is moving forward. Justin Leppitsch was a cracker at this.

Just an addition to that here's the "traditional" positions on the field:

field.jpg

Back