List Mgmt. The Official Cam McCarthy Superultramega Thread - Deal done!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strangely enough, I really do under. stand this from a GWS point of view. Young club, a lot of young players wanting to leave. Basically they needed to make a stand - draw a line in the sand. No trade for Mccarthy would have ever been good enough because it's not really about the Mccarthy - but the future of their club.
What future? GWS will eventually fold or relocate, nobody in western sydney gives a toss about the Giants.

Strangely enough, I really do understand this from a GWS point of view. Young club, a lot of young players wanting to leave. Basically they needed to make a stand - draw a line in the sand. No trade for Mccarthy would have ever been good enough because it's not really about the Mccarthy - but the future of their club.
I feel this would have the opposite effect, all of the fringe players that were contracted were traded therefore they would be more likely to sign up seeing as they can leave whenever they want however the best 22/better player was not traded which will make the experienced GWS players think twice about re-signing and delay talks which will leave GWS with the fringe players signed up and the experienced players waiting til the end of the season if they have any doubt at all of staying with GWS.

That would be my train of thought at least with this Mccarthy situation sitting in the back of my mind whenever signing a contract. I have a feeling it would sit in the players minds too seeing as they AFLPA are always fighting for more player power etc etc

Just my 2 cents

But Cam knew how big the crowds are at Home games as he has been there at least a year and must have loved it so much he signed a contract extension for 2 years.
He was there for less than 6 months, and extended after two games were played: the home game against Sydney that GWS won and a close game in Victoria. McCartney didn't get his first game until the end of 2014.

Strangely enough, I really do understand this from a GWS point of view. Young club, a lot of young players wanting to leave. Basically they needed to make a stand - draw a line in the sand. No trade for Mccarthy would have ever been good enough because it's not really about the Mccarthy - but the future of their club.
then why did they trade players with other teams including about 4 to Carlton where surprise surprise there ex list manager works?

then why did they trade players with other teams including about 4 to Carlton where surprise surprise there ex list manager works?
pretty much because they didn't want the 4 players that they traded to Carlton. McCarthy was a wanted player.

This Cam lad is crazy, i mean why wouldn't you want to play up there in front of this??

Empty_GWS_Grandstand.jpg

Inspiring stuff.

Even when they we're wining games the club/afl were still struggling to get the public through the gate.

How many people live in Western Sydney?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is getting ******* ridiculous. The amount of backing GWS has gotten here compared to every other situation where this has occurred is astounding. I'm not believing a word from GWS on this after they tried to claim that Cam was happy in Sydney. If Cameron had true empathy, Cam would be at Freo now.
Player movement is a good thing, all hail changes to Free Agency, the trade period and trading of future picks!
Oh except this time.

Oh and the Geelong final was a one off too by the way.

Player movement is a good thing, all hail changes to Free Agency, the trade period and trading of future picks!
Oh except this time.

Oh and the Geelong final was a one off too by the way.
I am way too old fashioned, and cling to concepts such as contracts being an agreement between 2 parties.

I'm actually in the camp that thinks the AFL has to do it, whether they can is another matter.

And why is that?

The AFL already had 16 teams and adding 2 more only thins the quality amongst clubs. What benefit is it to the AFL when they will for many, many years have to float this franchise?

And why is that?

The AFL already had 16 teams and adding 2 more only thins the quality amongst clubs. What benefit is it to the AFL when they will for many, many years have to float this franchise?

It only temporarily thins the quality of the talent. NSW and QLD are a significant nest of athletic ability and the ultimate goal of these two clubs is to bolster the presence of AFL in the communities that would otherwise see these talented players go to Rugby or Soccer.

If AFL had the same relevance across Australia as it does in VIC, WA and SA then the overall talent in the game would increase.

That is the goal, the result is up for debate.

It only temporarily thins the quality of the talent. NSW and QLD are a significant nest of athletic ability and the ultimate goal of these two clubs is to bolster the presence of AFL in the communities that would otherwise see these talented players go to Rugby or Soccer.

If AFL had the same relevance across Australia as it does in VIC, WA and SA then the overall talent in the game would increase.

That is the goal, the result is up for debate.

Yes I understand what they want to achieve and I'm sure over time more young athletes will chose afl over rugby but I just can't see gws having a large supporter base.

And why is that?

What the lady said above. I'd also add that the AFL exists within a very small pond and there are many threats to its vitality from other sports. It needs to act in those markets before the increasing popularity of soccer and rugby, and (I think soon) basketball, estranges the AFL completely. At the moment it may seem unlikely as the expansion teams are exhausting the current base of supporters already interested in AFL, but if it can capture the imagination of the alien, non-traditional market, then it will appear to be more viable, as rather than exhausting the market, it is instead expanded upon. It's a game played long. I don't think the current AFL administration are up to it, but I can see how a better one could make an 18 team competition work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back