Club History The Open Mike Series: Carlton edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting on Sammy... there was something said by Elliott that still rankles him and he is never going to speak about it fully. It was about then that I started to have concerns about Elliott being in charge. I think that it was followed up in 2001/02 with the TV rights argument that Elliott that eventually ended up with the AFL going hard at us over the salary cap scandal.

While I am not saying that it was all on Elliott... his ego certainly put us into the slide that put us where we ended up.

And I still reckon that he should have retired as president of the club in 95 and let someone else bring us into the modern era.

Interesting on Sammy... there was something said by Elliott that still rankles him and he is never going to speak about it fully. It was about then that I started to have concerns about Elliott being in charge. I think that it was followed up in 2001/02 with the TV rights argument that Elliott that eventually ended up with the AFL going hard at us over the salary cap scandal.

While I am not saying that it was all on Elliott... his ego certainly put us into the slide that put us where we ended up.

And I still reckon that he should have retired as president of the club in 95 and let someone else bring us into the modern era.
I believe Hamil was always going to join the saints as they offered him double his Carlton salary. Elliott having a go at him at the B&F was just the excuse he needed to make himself look better with the fans.

I believe Hamil was always going to join the saints as they offered him double his Carlton salary. Elliott having a go at him at the B&F was just the excuse he needed to make himself look better with the fans.

I had a pretty good inside source around that time and was told Hamill ranked 7th on our list and was offered $305K a year but Saints offered well in excess of $500K a year (maybe $550K).

Was really crook on Hamill for along while but heard an interview on SEN where he sounded like he was railroad a bit by his dickhead of manager Dave Allison. I think they were trying to up his salary by calling Carlton's bluff but Hamill didn't really want to leave.

Having said that they had given the club a stat dec saying he wanted to be traded to the Swans which was way before Elliott and the B&F incident. The couldn't get the deal done with the Swans and St.Kilda swooped and offered Pick 4.

Ended up a win-win. Saints got close to our best player at the time and we got Luke Livingston :(

I had a pretty good inside source around that time and was told Hamill ranked 7th on our list and was offered $305K a year but Saints offered well in excess of $500K a year (maybe $550K).

Was really crook on Hamill for along while but heard an interview on SEN where he sounded like he was railroad a bit by his dickhead of manager Dave Allison. I think they were trying to up his salary by calling Carlton's bluff but Hamill didn't really want to leave.

Having said that they had given the club a stat dec saying he wanted to be traded to the Swans which was way before Elliott and the B&F incident. The couldn't get the deal done with the Swans and St.Kilda swooped and offered Pick 4.

Ended up a win-win. Saints got close to our best player at the time and we got Luke Livingston :(
I can remember Dave Allison on the radio during the trade period saying he was off to the swans to be closer to his mum in Canberra. Then turned up at the aints. In other words he went to the highest bidder. Elliott may have rankled but it was not the primary reason he went imho.

I can remember Dave Allison on the radio during the trade period saying he was off to the swans to be closer to his mum in Canberra. Then turned up at the aints. In other words he went to the highest bidder. Elliott may have rankled but it was not the primary reason he went imho.
On Open Mike last night, Hamill said he only found out about Sydney's interests after he made the deal with the Saints.

I know the club had been trying to re-sign him for ages. Elliot had had enough and said something publicly at the best and fairest. If he left for money just be honest, blaming Elliot is a cop out.

Imagine if Bruce Doull ever appeared on Open Mike, that would be like the Holy Grail of Interviews :eek:

I really enjoy Mike in this format, he actually asks hard hitting/painful questions (such as Wayne Carey to Anthony Stevens) in a sensitive and non-sensationalist way, which i think is a rare gift.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Open Mike last night, Hamill said he only found out about Sydney's interests after he made the deal with the Saints.

Obviously it's a while ago but my memory was there being a big article on the 'Hamill to the Swans' and to my knowledge the Saint deal was done just prior to end of trade period so not sure how he wouldn't have known about the Swans ???

I always thought that Elliott was used as the 'PR Cover' on this - Hamill was going to the highest bidder and was simply leaving for the money. But PR wise his manager couldn't come out just say that. So Jacks insult at B&F unfortunately gave Allison his perfect excuse for why Hamill was leaving. Think about it - if Hamill wasn't already known to be gone why would Jack be saying 'the little bastard owes us'.

Obviously it's a while ago but my memory was there being a big article on the 'Hamill to the Swans' and to my knowledge the Saint deal was done just prior to end of trade period so not sure how he wouldn't have known about the Swans ???

I always thought that Elliott was used as the 'PR Cover' on this - Hamill was going to the highest bidder and was simply leaving for the money. But PR wise his manager couldn't come out just say that. So Jacks insult at B&F unfortunately gave Allison his perfect excuse for why Hamill was leaving. Think about it - if Hamill wasn't already known to be gone why would Jack be saying 'the little bastard owes us'.
I think he said he was overseas at the time.

Up until then no one had left the club that the club didn't make the call on. That was the legend wasn't it?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

I just watched the Aaron Hamill interview. There is no doubt in my mind that he made an error of judgment in leaving Carlton. St Kikda was then, as it more or less is now, a second rate club and culture with no history of success. Had he stayed at Carlton he would have been looked after financially on and off the field and he would have a much better profile within the AFL.
When he made the rash decision to leave he was young, introverted, in a state of flux or confusion about his sexuality and dominated by that ratbag agent Allison who seemed to want to pick fights with Elliott rather properly advance the immediate and long term financial and non financial interests of his client. Unfortunately Allison also acted for a number of other Carlton players. Btw I don't believe that Elliott made a significant contribution to his decision to leave.
What a silly boy!

He got away from that pig Elliot. Hamill 1 Carlton 0.
He got away from that pig Elliot. Hamill 1 Carlton 0.
Well he didn't completely get away from him because, as Hamill revealed in the interview, the two of them lived in the same apartment block in Elgin Street Carlton for some time. Elliott, who still lives there, moved in there after he lost his fortune. They used to meet in the lift and barely exchanged words. Well after Hamill left the club he couldn't bring himself to leave the suburb! Hamill 0 Carlton 0. A lose lose situation.

If true what shocked me was how much power he handed over to his manager. There was a hint of absolved responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they played a role they played a minor role. I remember that time. Allison was always taking his contract negotiations for his Carlton players to the media in an attempt to demonstrate to Elliott and Lofts that he was as tough as them. Hamill was only in his early 20's and, off the field, he was shy, introverted and easily led by his manager. In the end I don't think Elliott's comments played a crucial role. However Elliott's comments and behaviour were bullying and unbecoming of a President, who you expect to be smarter and more sophisticated than Eliott was and is. And insofar as he alluded to Hamill's sexuality, as Elliott understood it to be, they were also bigoted and unintelligent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back