Food, Drink & Dining Out The Perth Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that's true at all. Australians are friendlier than most on a one-on-one level and Americans are just as big campaigners on the road as anywhere else.

Nope, the US has a built-in culture of politeness that we don't have. Like Power Raid says, though, it's a veneer. Generally when we're polite to someone it's because we have a genuine interest in them, which Americans don't.

I don't think it has any impact on roundabouts vs stop signs though. To me that just seems to be what each country has been brought up on, and now it's habit.

Roundabouts have far greater traffic flow than 4-way stop signs. Mythbusters did an experiment on it using yanks who were accustomed to the 4-way and had to be given a special training session on how to use a roundabout. Even then plenty more cars got through the roundabout in the test session. 4-way stops are just stupid, the council should put a roundabout there, even if it is just a kerb 2m in diameter with a signpost it would save confusion.

157 Berwick.

I lived in East Vic Park when I went back to uni. Not being from Perth, I wasn't familiar with Perth pronunciation and no one could understand where I was describing when I said Berwick Street.

Berwick is pronounced like Warwick (without a W in the middle), "Bear rick", unless your from Perth!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Family grew up in the area. Has always been Berwick.

WA has a record of spelling mistakes and pronunciation mistakes for suburbs and towns. The common theme for errors was sign writers who just stuffed up on train platforms.

Burrswood - burswood
Cardoup - Cardup
Muchela - Muchea

Freemantle - Fremantle

Nope, the US has a built-in culture of politeness that we don't have. Like Power Raid says, though, it's a veneer. Generally when we're polite to someone it's because we have a genuine interest in them, which Americans don't.

I don't think it has any impact on roundabouts vs stop signs though. To me that just seems to be what each country has been brought up on, and now it's habit.
I didn't find them much different to Aussies. Sure, those working in the service industry are ultra polite because they have a financial incentive in being so, but ordinary Americans seemed to be about, or slightly below, par. Not a major difference.

And we might pronounce it Ber-wick, but technically, it absolutely should be Berrick. Rockingham and Beckenham shouldn't have an elongated ham at the end either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back