Mega Thread The POST 2016 SEASON Buckley Coaching Discussion Thread (Latest: not much happening)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be politically incorrect to say that he had the cutest bum in the AFL?:$:p
My hero, ate nails for breakfast and went thru brick walls without a scratch.
Ok.
Can I say the new Mrs Pendlebury is the cutest partner

Same planetary system would be good enough. Gavin Brown was Collingwood more so then the other greats of the time. Courage bordering on insanity

Pretty nice bloke too. No big head about him, well brought up. Callum is also a lovely kid. It will choke me up to see him in a Pies jumper, if it happens.

Last edited:
Would it be politically incorrect to say that he had the cutest bum in the AFL?:$:p
My hero, ate nails for breakfast and went thru brick walls without a scratch.
We forgive you this time Maggie :cool:

Sorry if I suggest Footscrays ladder positions last decade or so.
Amazing they went down, built and now going places.

This was their peak time under Eade
2008 3rd
2009 3rd
2010 4th

Then rebuilding by dropping down
2011 10th
2012 15th
2013 15th
2014 14th
2015 6th
2016 7th that was ladder position and 2nd or 1st this year?

Funny how we all, me included, use circumstances to justify our arguments.

Accordingly the Footscray model suggests you need to go down to succeed, interesting
FYI, they haven't succeeded yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting times at the club. Gubby appears to be slashing and burning. Nor more LT. No more Trevor Hendy. Were these Bucks related appointments, and if so, is Gubby dismantling aspects of Bucks structure? I've no idea. Maybe Bucks wanted them gone too.

Someone else noted (sorry, forgot the poster), that Bucks' responsibilities may be shrinking back. A redefined but narrower focus for 2017? So many questions.

I am excited that we will go into 2017 with a different approach and set up; and concerned that we will have yet another year of experimentation, of waiting for things to gel (new players, assistant coaches, football department personnel). I am sick of welcoming new semi-saviours, only to have them leave a couple of seasons later. We really need to steady the ship.

Then again, the Dogs were in turmoil at the end of 2014: coach getting the chop, captain leaving, desperate lunge for Tom Boyd. And now look at them.

I wonder how Buckley and the senior officials at Collingwood must be feeling now?

- Buckley said at the member's forum that Collingwood's gameplan is very similar to that of the Bulldogs'.

- Collingwood's injury profile has been dreadful this season ... just like the Bulldog's

- Collingwood's age profile is probably quite similar to that of the Bulldogs?

- Collingwood finished 12th. Bulldogs didn't.

Difference is the backlines. Whilst our backline is chock full of purely defensive triers theirs is full guys with pace and skill that can take the game on. Some may put that to injuries but given the dogs lost Murphy for the year and others like JJ for large parts of the year and lost two key defenders in Collins and Adams.

I noticed against GWS that they have a similar set up to ours, but whilst ours gets opened easily theirs held up well. And that's because they're players are smart enough to know when to stick to a man and when to drop off and they are also quick enough to get back. Some would blame say we just don't have the list to execute Buckley's gameplan but then its up to Buckley to put forward a gameplan that suits our list and up to Hine to recruit players that will fit that game plan and it looks like they've done neither. Buckley has even had the option to put Varcoe back which he only did at the end of the season.

The backline Buckley played for most of the year are either too slow at getting back: Brown, Reid, Smith, Maynard or not smart enough to know when to execute: Brown, Maynard, Marsh, Sinclair. Or don't have the foot skills to hurt the opposition: Brown, Marsh, Maynard, Smith. We tried Adams donwthere which worked with some success but he's more useful to our midfield.

On the other hand the bulldogs two key defenders against GWS Roberts and Hamling are much quicker than Brown, they've got versatile players in Morris and Wood that can play on a range of different opponents who are both smart enough to know when to drop off and when to stay on their man. And have got JJ, Biggs and Boyd that hurt the opposition on the rebound.

Steve Grace set to join the Bulldogs. Buckley clearly didn't get the best out of him, or didn't get along with him, or got along too well with him and he became a yes man. F**k it, I'm going with Gubby did it.

Steve Grace set to join the Bulldogs. Buckley clearly didn't get the best out of him, or didn't get along with him, or got along too well with him and he became a yes man. F**k it, I'm going with Gubby did it.
Or maybe someone is blaming someone else for their inadequacies.
The words scape and goat spring to mind.

or may be not, does any one truly know. l know l don't and most dont

To be honest the shelf life of an assistant coach is probably 3-5 years at the most. There's probably exceptions to that, but as with any job, when you're just an assistant, you're looking to progress and develop. Similarly, management will be looking for you to grow and develop and if you don't they'll encourage you to move on. It's happened to me when I went stale - I was gently encouraged to explore other options. It happens and often the feeling and agreement is mutual. It's no big deal one way or the other.

To be honest the shelf life of an assistant coach is probably 3-5 years at the most. There's probably exceptions to that, but as with any job, when you're just an assistant, you're looking to progress and develop. Similarly, management will be looking for you to grow and develop and if you don't they'll encourage you to move on. It's happened to me when I went stale - I was gently encouraged to explore other options. It happens and often the feeling and agreement is mutual. It's no big deal one way or the other.
Look, I'll be honest. I have no idea what Grace's role was at Collingwood and if we are really being honest, would not be able to identify him if I we fell over each other. But I will be damned if someone's head doesn't roll for this debacle! Preferably someone's head I recognise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back