Mega Thread The POST 2016 SEASON Buckley Coaching Discussion Thread (Latest: not much happening)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
your recollection is different to mine.
I thought he started with Morris who was too loose, then Magro who wasn't agile enough.
Ray Byrne was on Rob Wiley when he should've been on KB from the start.

And Billy Picken should've gone to Cloke instead of Ireland - Ireland on Cloke was like putting Toovey on Josh Jenkins or Taylor Walker. I recall David Young was also tried on Cloke which was similar to putting Ben Sinclair on Tony Lockett.

I loved Tom but game day tactics were not his thing.
I must have seen it differently.
Maybe the long tram ride home with a five year old daughter crying her eyes out clouded my judgement.

I must have seen it differently.
Maybe the long tram ride home with a five year old daughter crying her eyes out clouded my judgement.
I was stuck in a garage full of Richmond supporters giving me hell from about the20 minute mark of the first quarter. Almost erased from my memory. The only thing I can remember is hoping that Magro would clean up Bartlett.

I was stuck in a garage full of Richmond supporters giving me hell from about the 20 minute mark of the first quarter. Almost erased from my memory. The only thing I can remember is hoping that Magro would clean up Bartlett.

Did anyone else think carbon monoxide?

interesting?
Buckley out the door means we've failed.
Ok, so your dream is we fail?
Ok, that's a bit unusual.
I'd rather we succeed and win and I don't give a fig who gets the credit, because I support Collingwood.

I support Collingwood.. and Bucks I have had enough off.. I still don't understand what he's trying to accomplish after more than half a decade. And as far as I'm concerned it's simply not good enough. Every yr his game plan has been exposed for a high school project.. go and serve your apprenticeship elsewhere Bucks.. not as a senior coach at my club.

This offseason has made Buckley a dead man walking.
Last year offseason we were all excited, followed by an impressive NAB campaig and only to spontaneously combust 10 min in rnd one.
We have upgraded our team this year, perhaps not in the same impressive way as last year but nothing to say we have gone significantly backwards.
Signs are still the same as last year if not better. Impressive on paper and we'll see how that translates on the field.

Last year offseason we were all excited, followed by an impressive NAB campaig and only to spontaneously combust 10 min in rnd one.
We have upgraded our team this year, perhaps not in the same impressive way as last year but nothing to say we have gone significantly backwards.
Signs are still the same as last year if not better. Impressive on paper and we'll see how that translates on the field.
And an extra year of maturity, and extra full preseason might just do wonders for the youngens?

Maynard, Moore, De Goey, Grundy, Treloar, Adams, Aish, Scharenberg.....
Hyphen-E, then Elliot and Fasolo

There's a little bit to work with

Close.
Talk of coaches always gets me back to Tommy Hafey. Kept it super simple (I don't think there was a game plan other than to kick it long) Had very little game day acumen ( Two Hail Mary moves), but the players played their hearts out for him. Every week without fail. All this talk of game day coaching, game plans, leading teams, club culture is just smoke and mirrors.
Hafey motivated and empowered ordinary players to be close to great. To my mind he is the best coach of any club I've seen.
Clarkson had the cattle. Barassi did. Sheedy did (and wasted it). Tommy never did at Collingwood. The team had more holes than a slice of swiss cheese, but they played 4 grand finals in 5 years. Remarkable record given the list he had.
I get the angst with Bucks. He ain't no Hafey, not yet.
Just shows the impact that a coach's personality and love for his players can achieve.

Just shows the impact that a coach's personality and love for his players can achieve.

I wouldn't limit that statement as being specific to AFL; highly motivated/committed people can burst through performance ceilings. Belief is contagious.

Yep with the Hyphenator we got another Bucks fan in our team.
So we lost a few plodders at the end of their career that can't work with him and brought in talent that does want to play for him. Things can only get better.

So we lost a few plodders at the end of their career that can't work with him and brought in talent that does want to play for him. Things can only get better.
Agree.
And one constant in AFL circles, a coach is considered better exponentially to the wins they get.
The more wins, the better coach they become.

Eg Hafey? Fantastic coach, players generally loved him.... we did well, things were terrific.
Wheels started falling off, ie losing games... he got sacked mid season! What happened to the love?

Check out the rumour board with the Boy Scout Bolton and the most over rated person in football history, silvagni.
It's not pretty. Bet real reason is they not winning.... (that and Silvagni is footballs Keanu reeves)

Hopefully you are right though Buckley is undoubtedly a clinician rather than motivator. I am yet to be convinced that he has the ingredients required to create a winning formula. I know nothing about the loves and lives of the hyphenator so have no idea if you are correct. For his faith in Buckley to be worth anything, he has to first be able to get senior games.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully you are right though Buckley is undoubtedly a clinician rather than motivator. I am yet to be convinced that he has the ingredient required to create a winning formula. I know nothing about the loves and lives of the hyphenator so have no idea if you are correct. For his faith in Buckley to be worth anything, he has to first be able to get senior games.
There have been a few articles on WHE already. Makes good reading for a Sunday afternoon, even if you don't like Bucks.

It's not that I don't like Bucks. I am simply yet to be convinced that he will be a good coach.

EDIT Didn't buy the Sunday papers. Should I have?
Bucks as a coach. I doubt most people really dislike Bucks as a person although are going a bit too far in their frustration.
Can't even remember last time I bought a newspaper. Or watched TV. I read everything online.

Hopefully you are right though Buckley is undoubtedly a clinician rather than motivator. I am yet to be convinced that he has the ingredients required to create a winning formula. I know nothing about the loves and lives of the hyphenator so have no idea if you are correct. For his faith in Buckley to be worth anything, he has to first be able to get senior games.
“I had Bucks’ number on my jumper growing up, but I didn’t tell him that. I thought I’d leave that one until I get to know him a bit,” Hoskin-Elliott said.

“He just said that if I got to the Pies that they would like to work with me and help me become the best footballer I can be and improve in certain aspects of the game.

“I had Bucks’ number on my jumper growing up, but I didn’t tell him that. I thought I’d leave that one until I get to know him a bit,” Hoskin-Elliott said.

“He just said that if I got to the Pies that they would like to work with me and help me become the best footballer I can be and improve in certain aspects of the game.
Interesting that he mentions playing off half back - so did Wells - when you look at the way the Bulldogs and Adelaide play it makes sense

And an extra year of maturity, and extra full preseason might just do wonders for the youngens?

Maynard, Moore, De Goey, Grundy, Treloar, Adams, Aish, Scharenberg.....
Hyphen-E, then Elliot and Fasolo

There's a little bit to work with

Elliot is finished, unfortunately. The rest we can build a list around, but we need to compliment them with fresh faces and stop clogging the list with sub-standard players.

Elliot is finished, unfortunately. The rest we can build a list around, but we need to compliment them with fresh faces and stop clogging the list with sub-standard players.
Fair enough.
And you know this about Elliot how?
This may be true but as I am not a medical practitioner nor expert in the field, nor seen his charts to me it's mere conjecture.
Be very sad if it be so.

Amazing thing, when younger players come to Collingwood they appear to cite Nathan as part of it and their decision.
Now ofcourse this happens with new players at new clubs, but I believe in the world of Internet Collingwood, it's must only highlight the players leaving and credit Buckley for this.... slap him on the way out....

It's interesting, that's all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back