The pressure teams still in it, Swans, Cats, Dees and Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I'll start with the obvious, have been watching my team still in it.

Regardless of the loss, there is no doubt that this team consistently even incessantly close space without ball and somehow have space outside on the ball win.

However, I'll note the other high pressure teams in it, in particular Sydney. It's fair speculation they bring even more pressure than the Pies, high bar I know. It is what it is.

Melbourne and Geelong also have high contested numbers and pride themselves on their contested game.

In the QF1 Degs had 8 clearances, 465 metres gained and 2 absolute clutch goals. Much moreso metres than Atkins and Danger - seriously high bar stuff.

Luke Parker had 9 and Clarry had 8 but gained 420 metres- seriously high bar stuff.

Then we have the sublime transition games of Brisbane and Fremantle, the test will come again against the pressure teams of the Dees and the Pies.

How I rate the pressure teams, purely on pressure.

• Swans
  • Pies
  • Dees
  • Cats
The pressure that these teams bring on the opposition is off the charts, certainly the Swans and the Pies.

The question is can those pressure teams close down the sublime transition games of Brisbane and Sydney?

We saw the Brions get over the top of one of the contested teams of the ages in Richmond, admittedly not as pressure focused as the dynasty team of the past. None the less the tigers STILL are very much a pressure team.

For mine I think it's in the bag for the Swans, the whole box and dice, and there's only two teams that can challenge them. The Cats and the Pies.

For all the Cats fans out there that's not dismissing your team, clearly the best list in the competition, however cannot match the Swans pressure. Up for debate? Maybe, but on face value I don't think so.

They have so much class across their demographic and yet have that undefeatable pressure.

As for my team, they're far inferior list wise, versus any other current finals team, or so it seems. For the following reason, some of you will know I'm an advocate for how good EVERY single AFL listed player is. There is no ifs buts or maybes. They're all absolute guns above every other competition. Period.

In saying that, we just don't have the depth of the other teams still in it. That doesn't immediately dismiss the Pies either, still very much a threat on an unbelievable system. In short summary, close space, have numbers on the outside for transition that the opposition doesn't get.

They can still win the whole box and dice also, they win on turnover game - any clearances is a bonus for them. Admittedly the Pies somewhat improved their clearance game on the weekend - against a clearance king team, and dominant minor premier no less.

Tay is a big loss here, enough to get over the Dockers? Close call, enough to get over the Swans if they get through? Even harder, not impossible though, if the Swans (or any team) is 1% off their game then it's game over.

As for Fremantle and Brisbane, well we'll witness how they handle two of the hottest pressure teams in it, away no less. Admittedly their transition game is very very good, will that hold up?

Discuss.

Sydney's pressure does seem to be the standout. Melbourne controlled them in the air but couldn't compete for long enough when the ball was on the deck.

Still think 3 teams are a huge chance. Geelong, Melbourne and Sydney. Others are probably happy to write off the Dees, but I'm hesitant. Still only need to click for 3 games, and they can do it. Collingwood may not have enough left in the tank without Taylor Adams.

Yeah I've never seen a team do well based on sheer pressure like Collingwood this year. I'm surprised how they keep it up for so long, or how teams don't work out their transition on the rebound. Swans likewise. Sydney, Geelong, Melbourne, Collingwood all a chance, in that order.

Sydney's pressure does seem to be the standout. Melbourne controlled them in the air but couldn't compete for long enough when the ball was on the deck.

Still think 3 teams are a huge chance. Geelong, Melbourne and Sydney. Others are probably happy to write off the Dees, but I'm hesitant. Still only need to click for 3 games, and they can do it. Collingwood may not have enough left in the tank without Taylor Adams.

Tay is a clearance beast for us, without Grundy and Tay we've only got Degs for clearances.

Funnily enough though we've been winning games off the back of turnover, while losing the clearance battle.

On Saturday we somewhat (Degs and Tay) improved our clearance game, while maintaining closing space all over the ground at contest.

So it's interesting, can this team win while conceding clearances - in finals? Maybe against Freo, maybe.

The AFL stats have player pressure acts recorded, this is the list of players for each team in the "elite" category after finals week 1.

Bulldogs - 5
Geelong - 4
Richmond - 2
Fremantle - 2
Brisbane - 1
Collingwood - 1
Sydney - 1
Melbourne - 0

For argument sakes, here is the elite and above average categories combined to get a bigger sample size.

Collingwood - 13
Bulldogs - 10
Geelong - 10
Richmond - 9
Melbourne - 7
Brisbane - 6
Fremantle - 6
Sydney - 6

I'm just looking up the stats and writing them down to post here, don't shoot the messenger. I may be misinterpreting these stats completely as well but I figured it could be useful information for a thread such as this.

What is interesting though is that two of the Top 4 pressure teams, both got eliminated (Richmond & Bulldogs) by two of the bottom pressure teams (Brisbane & Fremantle).

Pressure in finals footy is important, but I feel if you're a Brisbane/Fremantle side that can transition quick & fast, you probably only need to bring "just enough" pressure to then play your own brand. I wonder how Collingwood will go against a Freo side that will be not looking to engage in the pressure game, the way Geelong did.

To me it’s nowhere near as complicated as it’s made out to be.

Be fitter for longer and usually you will find a way to win.

Whether that’s because your fitness allows you to absorb pressure and then attack, or whether it allows you to apply pressure until the other team wilts, if you’re fitter for longer you will win.

Tay is a clearance beast for us, without Grundy and Tay we've only got Degs for clearances.

Funnily enough though we've been winning games off the back of turnover, while losing the clearance battle.

On Saturday we somewhat (Degs and Tay) improved our clearance game, while maintaining closing space all over the ground at contest.

So it's interesting, can this team win while conceding clearances - in finals? Maybe against Freo, maybe.
‘Tay’ ‘Degs’

Ya mates

To me it’s nowhere near as complicated as it’s made out to be.

Be fitter for longer and usually you will find a way to win.

Whether that’s because your fitness allows you to absorb pressure and then attack, or whether it allows you to apply pressure until the other team wilts, if you’re fitter for longer you will win.

There's merit in this post, however I think it's a bit more nuanced that you're describing here.

For example we know that the Cats apply their own pressure but are able to get transition when opposed to it. All be it their transition was under pressure for pretty much the whole 120 mins. Most teams just wilt and concede turnover.

Also different teams have different ways of executing pressure. For example the pies leave their man to push up field to outnumber at any given contest to create turnover and then have space to burn up the corridor (or the boundary in Saturdays case).

The cats managed to find a way not to 'wilt' under that pressure.

Conversely if you look at the tigers dynasty team - they literally forced contest forward, from contest to contest.

Yes there's a lot to do with 'tank' and 'between the ears' however I don't think it's as simple as that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More evidence the thread title is clueless

Ok, so the pressure ratings for teams who played finals is in this order.

Sydney 200
Collingwood 195
Freo 192
Melbourne 188
Richmond 188
Bulldogs 186
Brisbane 180
Geelong 176

Looks like Collingwood couldn't win with the least amount on them. Doesn't bode well for the rest of the finals series.

Last edited:
AFL players are not the best of the best skill wise. To be considered an AFL player, you want to have at least one elite AFL trait, being skillful by foot is not always a requirement.

Being an AFL player doesn't necessarily guarantee highly skillful games, or producing one touch players.
Remember, we recruit alot of athletes, they're often used to provide defensive pressure and off the ball running.

If you consider tackling, running and pressure of the utmost importance, you would love the way the Pies play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back