Mega Thread The Questions Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not a huge fan of Australian reality TV, but I was thinking the other day; why do we so rarely see people from the Northern Territory on any of these shows?

In shows where there is a state/territory-based competition, like My Kitchen Rules in its heyday and The Block, I don't recall any Northern Territory teams ever competing, but there have been ACT teams from Canberra and Tasmanian teams. I don't recall any Northern Territory contestants in dating/relationship shows like Married at First Sight, the Bachelor/Bachelorette, Beauty & the Geek or Farmer Wants a Wife (either the farmer or the potential brides). Contest type reality shows now mostly defunct like The Mole and the Biggest Loser I don't remember having any NT contestants, nor even any singing/talent shows past or present like Australian Idol, The Voice and Australia's Got Talent.

Surely there must have been at least some NT contestants on reality shows over the years; do you remember any?

In AFL games (and games in the state leagues and other sports) if lightning is detected within 10 kilometers of a venue, the game is temporarily called off and players and officials leave the ground until the lightning has moved out of the area and the game resumes. The lightning rule came in sometime in the 2000s, I remember in 1999 a match between the Crows and Tigers on a wet and stormy night in Adelaide continued even when lightning struck and took out one of the light towers at Football Park.

While the lightning rule is pretty straightforward although I'm not sure what happens if a thunderstorm sets in for the night, can other games be temporarily paused due to adverse weather even if there is no lightning? Two games I'm thinking of are a 1993 match between St Kilda and the Brisbane Bears when a ferocious hailstorm swept Waverley Park, pelting players of both teams and officials with huge hailstones. And in 1972, Fitzroy and Carlton played a match at the Junction Oval in heavy fog that seemed more like London in 1952 rather than Melbourne 20 years later. While this probably wouldn't be an issue at the modern grounds in the main cities today, it could potentially happen in matches played in Canberra, Hobart or Launceston.

So if in the present day a hailstorm struck an AFL game similar to the one that affected the Saints and Bears in 1993 or heavy fog rolled in like in the Lions and Blues game in 1972, would the games be paused until the adverse weather conditions cleared or would the teams just play through it?

I'm not a huge fan of Australian reality TV, but I was thinking the other day; why do we so rarely see people from the Northern Territory on any of these shows?

In shows where there is a state/territory-based competition, like My Kitchen Rules in its heyday and The Block, I don't recall any Northern Territory teams ever competing, but there have been ACT teams from Canberra and Tasmanian teams. I don't recall any Northern Territory contestants in dating/relationship shows like Married at First Sight, the Bachelor/Bachelorette, Beauty & the Geek or Farmer Wants a Wife (either the farmer or the potential brides). Contest type reality shows now mostly defunct like The Mole and the Biggest Loser I don't remember having any NT contestants, nor even any singing/talent shows past or present like Australian Idol, The Voice and Australia's Got Talent.

Surely there must have been at least some NT contestants on reality shows over the years; do you remember any?
In 2023 Cameron a NT based carpenter was matched with a lass from WA on MAFS. He did contract work for up to 6 weeks at a time in remote communities and the homestay was to his place showing off NT in all its glory.

About six years ago my dad died in a surf accident. I recently was talking to a friend I have made since then, and we worked out that they were the person who pulled him out of the water and gave him CPR.

I’m not sure what do do with this information. Obviously I have thanked them profusely and reiterated that they did everything possible. But I still feel… weird.

What would you do?

About six years ago my dad died in a surf accident. I recently was talking to a friend I have made since then, and we worked out that they were the person who pulled him out of the water and gave him CPR.

I’m not sure what do do with this information. Obviously I have thanked them profusely and reiterated that they did everything possible. But I still feel… weird.

What would you do?

****ed if I know tbh, that's a curly one. I'll bet they blame themselves, sounds like they went over and above but it would be a natural reaction.

I was brought up in rigidly Anglo household, and something like that would have remain unspoken lest someone emotes.
We managed to avoid it coming up for 4 years!

They have offered to talk about it but I don’t think I want that. At the time I obviously had questions about what happened on the beach, but now the details seem unimportant - I know dad was well cared for and that is enough. I am not sure how to validate their experience either. They are an experienced clinician who is familiar with death, but not in that context.

It’s just a really strange situation and I am not the most emotionally intelligent person at the best of times.

We managed to avoid it coming up for 4 years!

They have offered to talk about it but I don’t think I want that. At the time I obviously had questions about what happened on the beach, but now the details seem unimportant - I know dad was well cared for and that is enough. I am not sure how to validate their experience either. They are an experienced clinician who is familiar with death, but not in that context.

It’s just a really strange situation and I am not the most emotionally intelligent person at the best of times.
Sounds to me like you're both happy to leave it in the past.

I'm guessing the reason is that the NT market doesn't really matter. Why bother putting in a NT contestant to draw in viewers from the NT when the market isn't even half as big as Tasmania's?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would you do?
You say you feel weird , what is it you feel weird about? Is there something that is unanswered from that day that they may be able to help with. The fact you have become friends not knowing there was something in common maybe is just a sign your friendship was meant to happen. Your friend did a remarkable thing albeit with an outcome that is very sad. You need to figure out what is making you feel weird and resolve that.

I find I go through waves where I struggle with procrastination at work or losing focus easily. What tips and tricks do you have to keep yourself focused and productive at work?

What would you do?

How did you become friends?

What a small world !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back