Mega Thread The Random Thoughts Thread Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm being dismissed as a neonazi racist sexist because you can't see the difference between a video game and reality.

Earlier...
The point is that it's highlighted as a feature, and I'm not trying to generalise feminists, more refering to Anita Sarkeesian types in the industry who have invaded it with social justice issues irrelevant to a hobby.
How exactly are social justice issues irrelevant to hobbies?

How do you believe a social justice issue like racism relates to a hobby like football?

Do you believe people who participate in hobbies have no right to consideration in regards to `social justice issues'?

Do you believe that when you play a video game you cease to be in the real world?

Just in case it isn't clear (I am not sure whether you consider any form of computer use to still involve you being in the real world), I am going to continue nailing your ignorant sexist arse to the wall until you come up a decent response or a retraction.

You should play a game called The Stanley Parable. It instructs you on the limits of player agency and is quite clever as to why 'open world' games are not conducive to a well written story.

tumblr_mvemhgs22r1r7vg98o1_1280.jpg

Earlier...

How exactly are social justice issues irrelevant to hobbies?

How do you believe a social justice issue like racism relates to a hobby like football?

Do you believe people who participate in hobbies have no right to consideration in regards to `social justice issues'?
Would you be happy if I admitted I may have used the wrong word? People who are affected by social justice are allowed to be considered but it's not the end of the world for Sarkeesian and co if they don't get what they want. Why is everything so definitive with you, like I'm either on the side of extreme feminism or I'm a mysogynistic racist pig.

Do you believe that when you play a video game you cease to be in the real world?
When I'm making actions in that world, yeah. I mean I'll make a decision to help the Legion in Fallout but that doesn't mean I would support a dictator in the real world. It's fantasy, I mean I feel like you're using the same logic as "IF YA KILL IN VIDEO GAMES YOU'LL DO IT IN REAL LIFE" nutters who blame school shootings on video games. Literally to a tee - I can objectify polygons embodying a woman in a video game with a character who isn't me, but I do not feel like some superior being to women because I'm a man in the real. Not that you'd believe that.

I mean shit, having the options to kill those women in Hitman is entirely fine. People can think for themselves! I know, hard to comprehend right. I'm sure most people playing the game just ignored the fact that you can kill them.

Just in case it isn't clear (I am not sure whether you consider any form of computer use to still involve you being in the real world), I am going to continue nailing your ignorant sexist arse to the wall until you come up a decent response or a retraction.
If you wanna score some mad e-cred and boost your ego, keep thinking that. I don't give a shit either way.

On Dylan8's misogyny
People who are affected by social justice are allowed to be considered but it's not the end of the world for Sarkeesian and co if they don't get what they want.
Or if they do get what they want either?

Dylan8 earlier said:
Gotta pander to those twitter feminists who hate video games
Because you can't just be making a game for an audience that includes people who like games and don't want to play a white male prostitute-killing anti-hero.

Dylan8 earlier said:
The point is that it's highlighted as a feature
Which appears to offend you.

Why is everything so definitive with you, like I'm either on the side of extreme feminism or I'm a mysogynistic racist pig.
Yeah, I can't imagine, she types having just read the shit quoted earlier in this post.

Dragon Age is apparently only as it is to pander to twitter feminists that hate video games (making you wonder exactly who is actively buying video games they hate), but you maintain that that statement (and the attitude that created it) apparently isn't misogynist?

On Dylan8's misogyny
Or if they do get what they want either?

Because you can't just be making a game for an audience that includes people who like games and don't want to play a white male prostitute-killing anti-hero.

Which appears to offend you.

Yeah, I can't imagine, she types having just read the shit quoted earlier in this post.

Dragon Age is apparently only as it is to pander to twitter feminists that hate video games (making you wonder exactly who is actively buying video games they hate), but you maintain that that statement (and the attitude that created it) apparently isn't misogynist?
I was referring to the twitter types who are enraged when every game isn't a squeeky clean, perfectly equal utopian world. It's annoying when something such as a minor feature like romancing which is done so poorly anyway is something to praise, when it doesn't focus on the primary matter of 'is it a good video game'.

Offended that people applaud a weird world where everyone is a bisexual who shags all of Dwarves, Elves and Qunari people.

So are you going to stick to the insinuation that I'm a neonazi racist aswell? Are you going to respond to this, because I'm interested in what you have to say.
When I'm making actions in that world, yeah. I mean I'll make a decision to help the Legion in Fallout but that doesn't mean I would support a dictator in the real world. It's fantasy, I mean I feel like you're using the same logic as "IF YA KILL IN VIDEO GAMES YOU'LL DO IT IN REAL LIFE" nutters who blame school shootings on video games. Literally to a tee - I can objectify polygons embodying a woman in a video game with a character who isn't me, but I do not feel like some superior being to women because I'm a man in the real. Not that you'd believe that.

I mean shit, having the options to kill those women in Hitman is entirely fine. People can think for themselves! I know, hard to comprehend right. I'm sure most people playing the game just ignored the fact that you can kill them.

Out of the games of the last few years I'd say the best written female character in a story would be Elise from Assassins Creed Unity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL at the idea that video games don't have a misogyny problem.
How? How is portraying mysogynistic parts of society in a video game any different to a movie doing it? Because you're pressing buttons? I mean if it's a linear game then it isn't the player being mysogynistic, it's just a script. If it's non linear and you can make a choice then you can choose not to.

Never seen so much homosexual behaviour ever. Some of u guys need to come out
Niiiiiiiice one bro.

I was referring to the twitter types who are enraged when every game isn't a squeeky clean, perfectly equal utopian world. It's annoying when something such as a minor feature like romancing which is done so poorly anyway is something to praise, when it doesn't focus on the primary matter of 'is it a good video game'.
The Kinect is done poorly, but **** me how much have we heard about that in game journalism? No one questions it, and I don't think anyone says that the Kinect exists to pander to people who like waving their arms and hate video games (although they do say that about the Wii, which `coincidentally' has the highest proportional female uptake of consoles)

Offended that people applaud a weird world where everyone is a bisexual who shags all of Dwarves, Elves and Qunari people.
How is that offensive?

So are you going to stick to the insinuation that I'm a neonazi racist aswell?
You can do with any insinuations whatever you wish, my dear.

Are you going to respond to this, because I'm interested in what you have to say.
When you are playing a video game, you are still in the real world, reacting to that game as a human being. You may file part of it into the `not real' part of your brain, which people have control over to various degrees.

Would you consider it unreasonable for me to compare the playing of video games to the using of the internet?

One common purpose of the internet for its users, and forums like this, is for the user to have their own world view reinforced. Port Adelaide are the best football club, for example. Crows fans are drooling morons who knit at the football. All indisputable facts...on this forum.

Have you ever had a football conversation where you've expressed quite a strong view on something that you've discussed online, only to find that `real' people are not familiar with the context of what you are saying, and may even think your comment is excessive? Have you ever found that your view on something has been changed, or at least shifted, by your online interactions with anonymous people that you don't actually know?

And that is just text. You don't visualise your views on a forum. You don't act out your fantasies in a forum. You don't find yourself in a room of half-naked women with a gun in your hand on a forum.

I think anyone saying that video games doesn't change how they perceive the world to some degree is deluding themselves. There are studies showing that playing video games regularly changes your brain function (as does doing almost anything regularly). Here's a story about one - http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2009/06/24/2607577.htm

So you may think you aren't in a real world, but your perceptions, your instincts, your beliefs are being shaped by every piece of media that you interact with. Video games are not an exception to this.

If you take a 14 year old boy and give them a game where you have a gun and can shoot semi-naked women in a brothel - that kid has never been in a brothel, never held a gun, probably never seen semi-naked women. This is his formative experience, its where he gets ideas like:

I was under the impression the Hong Kong prostitution industry was something like that.

Where was this impression formed? And you are making real decisions, real judgements of people, based on this. Anita Sarkeesian and feminists are making stupid criticisms because this is what situation blah is like, your thought on this based entirely on media representation (and probably video game representation).

In summary, I believe that every thing you do is part of your existence in the real world. People learn from video games. They learn ways to judge people, and ways in which they presume society judges them.

I mean if it's a linear game then it isn't the player being mysogynistic, it's just a script.
I'd say thats the problem.

The script is all male power fantasy stuff and that's coming from someone who likes power fantasy games like Skyrim, Prototype, Far Cry.

Women are eye candy or the damsels to save.
More games lately are changing that but still 90% of women in games are there to be looked at, saved or dialogue choice'd in to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back