Analysis The rebuild of Carlton and Brisbane and their future prospects

Which team has the better future prospects on-field?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep - Quantity.

You have no one even close to Cripps currently. Curnow is a far better prospect than any of those so far.

Quality.

Curnow a far better prospect than Andrews? Andrews was probably the best defender in the league before Cameron knocked him out. AFL Player Ratings had him as the best defender (key defender and general defenders included) and 21st best player in the comp for 2018. Curnow was ranked the 13th best key forward and 174th best player in the league.

Doesn't sound like far better to me.

Curnow a far better prospect than Andrews? Andrews was probably the best defender in the league before Cameron knocked him out. AFL Player Ratings had him as the best defender (key defender and general defenders included) and 21st best player in the comp for 2018. Curnow was ranked the 13th best key forward and 174th best player in the league.

Doesn't sound like far better to me.
Said prospect son - please read carefully.

Not currently. Who would you take for the future?

Said prospect son - please read carefully.

Not currently. Who would you take for the future?

I'd lean Andrews, but could see why someone might go Curnow on potential. They're about the same age and Andrews is already the best defender in the league in my estimation. Curnow definitely not a far better prospect.

You also said

Carlton have the two best U25 players from either list by a country mile

Which is definitely wrong, since Andrews is clearly a better player than Curnow currently.

I'd lean Andrews, but could see why someone might go Curnow on potential. They're about the same age and Andrews is already the best defender in the league in my estimation. Curnow definitely not a far better prospect.

You also said

Which is definitely wrong, since Andrews is clearly a better player than Curnow currently.
Fair enough, not what you had quoted reply to though was it?

In any case, best two U25 players currently are Cripps and Docherty

best two prospects are Cripps and then debateable...I admit Andrews is a freaking jet.

Now, my point still stands. Blues have the higher top end talent, Brisbane have more quantity...which is probably what you want in a good team anyway.

McCluggage will be a better player than Cripps. You heard it here first.
3XiKMch.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Patrick Cripps is a very good player right now, Hugh McCluggage is a different type and has shown some fantastic ability and glimpses, massive "potential".

Hugh McCluggage will be a top 5 midfielder in the competition in 2-3 years time IMO, I'd describe him as a Black/Pendlebury type.

Jarrod Berry is the one you would say is similar to Patrick Cripps, if anything he has been the most impressive of all our young guns, great inside, spreads from the contest terrifically, runs both ways, tough as nails, takes a really good mark and a very reliable set shot. Totally different roles but he reminds me a lot of Jonathan Brown in the way he carries himself and attacks the game on field.

Are these two the new melbourne vs St kilda?

I think both teams will rise from next year onwards and have a Melbourne like trajectory...both with plenty of young talent.

Especially if lions land Neale and we land Shiel, which are both looking likely. Big boost for both teams.

Are these two the new melbourne vs St kilda?

I think both teams will rise from next year onwards and have a Melbourne like trajectory...both with plenty of young talent.

Especially if lions land Neale and we land Shiel, which are both looking likely. Big boost for both teams.
This might be on the cards. Saints probsbly more similar to Brisbane, while Melbourne compares to how Carlton started their build.

Carlton defended first whereas Brisbane took the open running game plan that saints prefer. It could backfire just like it did saints but they do have a stronger group of KP talent in their backline, does it cope when hodge retires. To an extent having a reliable man like Luke running around teaching doesn’t allow the group to learn from their own mistake because hodge fixes them now. Can they build on his intellectual property down the track.

Carlton have struggled but they’ve atkeast throw their kids to the wolves and the greatest trajectory in skill development occurs when you make mistakes and review and reflect. Have Bris been making those mistakes yet??

Brisbane’s midfield is very balanced and they have depth which is growing every year. Carlton are only touching the surfaces of development to their midfield. This will go another step in 2019 with setterfield and Shiel plus the addition of arguably the best fitnessboss in the business. Look at themprovents of omeara, smith and Mitchell under him. Carlton have a plethora of young mids just waiting to grow up with the potential to have big years with a greater focus on fitness. Think fisher, SPS, O’Brien and Dow. Plus what will Shiel do when he joins us and Russell gets to work with the fitness freak that he is. Could he turn into Tom Mitchell in 2019.

This might be on the cards. Saints probsbly more similar to Brisbane, while Melbourne compares to how Carlton started their build.

Carlton defended first whereas Brisbane took the open running game plan that saints prefer. It could backfire just like it did saints but they do have a stronger group of KP talent in their backline, does it cope when hodge retires. To an extent having a reliable man like Luke running around teaching doesn’t allow the group to learn from their own mistake because hodge fixes them now. Can they build on his intellectual property down the track.

Carlton have struggled but they’ve atkeast throw their kids to the wolves and the greatest trajectory in skill development occurs when you make mistakes and review and reflect. Have Bris been making those mistakes yet??

Brisbane’s midfield is very balanced and they have depth which is growing every year. Carlton are only touching the surfaces of development to their midfield. This will go another step in 2019 with setterfield and Shiel plus the addition of arguably the best fitnessboss in the business. Look at themprovents of omeara, smith and Mitchell under him. Carlton have a plethora of young mids just waiting to grow up with the potential to have big years with a greater focus on fitness. Think fisher, SPS, O’Brien and Dow. Plus what will Shiel do when he joins us and Russell gets to work with the fitness freak that he is. Could he turn into Tom Mitchell in 2019.

All of our first and second round draft picks the last two seasons have debuted, and of those 7 players all bar Cedric Cox and Brandon Starcevich have played significant games. The top 3 picks we made in the 2016 draft all finished top 10 in the B and F this year (Berry, McCluggage, Witherden).

There has been a concerted effort to play the kids the last two years, however we've had a better injury run and probably have slightly better mature midfielders (Beams, Zorko) which helps competitiveness wise compared to the Blues where Cripps doesn't have as much support. Long term I think there is great talent on both lists, will be interesting to see how they develop.

Brisbane identified leadership issues last year.
Shipped out captain Rockliff and brought in Luke Hodge as a guide.
Great move.

Brisbane and Carlton have similar lists.
If like to see Carlton bring in more Leadership.

Murphy was a terrible captain.
(Good player but doesn't talk)

Dockerty and Cripps is a move in the right direction.

This might be on the cards. Saints probsbly more similar to Brisbane, while Melbourne compares to how Carlton started their

Carlton defended first whereas Brisbane took the open running game plan that saints prefer.

Our coaching focus was defence in 2017. We’ve made enormous strides defensively over the last two years. This year’s focus was contested ball as we didn’t get anywhere near enough footy in 2017.

The ball movement has not necessarily been the primary focus of development. I think we’ve just got some guys who make good decisions. Defence and contested stuff is where we’ve had to spend the time with the young blokes.

2 teams I f^&*^%g hate.
Brisbane's rebuild is moving along nicely. They should be knocking on the door of the 8 in 2019.
Carlton is currently struggletown. Avoiding another wooden spoon should be their main objective but it's gonna be another year of pain.
Cripps is a gun though. At the moment, Brisbane have the better team but Carlton has the best player.

Patrick Cripps is a very good player right now, Hugh McCluggage is a different type and has shown some fantastic ability and glimpses, massive "potential".

Hugh McCluggage will be a top 5 midfielder in the competition in 2-3 years time IMO, I'd describe him as a Black/Pendlebury type.

Jarrod Berry is the one you would say is similar to Patrick Cripps, if anything he has been the most impressive of all our young guns, great inside, spreads from the contest terrifically, runs both ways, tough as nails, takes a really good mark and a very reliable set shot. Totally different roles but he reminds me a lot of Jonathan Brown in the way he carries himself and attacks the game on field.

Absolutely. Gets underrated by lots because he's not from Victoria. If the roles were swapped, and it was Berry playing for Carlton and we had Cripps, people would be talking about Berry as the next big thing.

It's fine though, we are cool with the underdog tags. Champion team > team of champions.

Back